Are scripts under /example directory under BSD license ?

  • ashish_patil0
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2006
      Yahoo! UI library is awesome . I like the drag and drop implementation.
      I wanted to use it onto my site but I found that *.js files in
      D:\ashish\Temp\yui\examples\dragdrop\js folder only say
      '/* Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. */ where as
      those in 'build' directory explicitly specify BSD licensing.

      So is this code under BSD license ??
      The code in examples of dragdrop is very important for doing anything
      usefull with DragDrop (I think). Can it be included somewhere under
      under build folder ??? (DragDropUtils..or something).

      Regards,
      Ashish
    • randomjuju
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2006
        Hi there.

        I think this is a really important question and would also very much
        appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example code. It's
        particularly important since many of us get started with the library
        by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
        thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real problem
        since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
        examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it seems
        like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
        before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient(tm).

        Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-like
        things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library (e.g.
        the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the main
        library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be pretty
        disappointed.

        Thanks very much!

        -Jon

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "ashish_patil0"
        <ashish_patil0@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Yahoo! UI library is awesome . I like the drag and drop implementation.
        > I wanted to use it onto my site but I found that *.js files in
        > D:\ashish\Temp\yui\examples\dragdrop\js folder only say
        > '/* Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. */ where as
        > those in 'build' directory explicitly specify BSD licensing.
        >
        > So is this code under BSD license ??
        > The code in examples of dragdrop is very important for doing anything
        > usefull with DragDrop (I think). Can it be included somewhere under
        > under build folder ??? (DragDropUtils..or something).
        >
        > Regards,
        > Ashish

      • randomjuju
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
          Hello!

          I'd also argue that this is a barrier to IP-conscious businesses (like
          mine) adopting YUI. If we don't know what we're getting ourselves
          into with respect to IP issues, we're not going to be able to use the
          technology.

          Is somebody at least looking into this? Is there anybody else I can ask?

          Thanks.

          -Jon

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "randomjuju" <jon.chambers@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi there.
          >
          > I think this is a really important question and would also very much
          > appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example code. It's
          > particularly important since many of us get started with the library
          > by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
          > thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real problem
          > since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
          > examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it seems
          > like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
          > before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient(tm).
          >
          > Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-like
          > things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library (e.g.
          > the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the main
          > library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be pretty
          > disappointed.
          >
          > Thanks very much!
          >
          > -Jon
          >
          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "ashish_patil0"
          > <ashish_patil0@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > Yahoo! UI library is awesome . I like the drag and drop
          implementation.
          > > I wanted to use it onto my site but I found that *.js files in
          > > D:\ashish\Temp\yui\examples\dragdrop\js folder only say
          > > '/* Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. */ where as
          > > those in 'build' directory explicitly specify BSD licensing.
          > >
          > > So is this code under BSD license ??
          > > The code in examples of dragdrop is very important for doing anything
          > > usefull with DragDrop (I think). Can it be included somewhere under
          > > under build folder ??? (DragDropUtils..or something).
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Ashish

        • randomjuju
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15, 2006
            I hate to be a pest, but I just don't know where else I could be
            directing my inquiries. Is anybody at Yahoo looking into this?

            wrote:

            > Hello!
            >
            > I'd also argue that this is a barrier to IP-conscious businesses (like
            > mine) adopting YUI. If we don't know what we're getting ourselves
            > into with respect to IP issues, we're not going to be able to use the
            > technology.
            >
            > Is somebody at least looking into this? Is there anybody else I can
            ask?

            > Thanks.
            >
            > -Jon
            >
            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "randomjuju" <jon.chambers@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi there.
            > >
            > > I think this is a really important question and would also very much
            > > appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example code. It's
            > > particularly important since many of us get started with the library
            > > by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
            > > thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real problem
            > > since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
            > > examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it seems
            > > like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
            > > before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient(tm).
            > >
            > > Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-like
            > > things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library (e.g.
            > > the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the main
            > > library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be pretty
            > > disappointed.
            > >
            > > Thanks very much!
            > >
            > > -Jon
            > >
            > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "ashish_patil0"
            > > <ashish_patil0@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > > Yahoo! UI library is awesome . I like the drag and drop
            > implementation.
            > > > I wanted to use it onto my site but I found that *.js files in
            > > > D:\ashish\Temp\yui\examples\dragdrop\js folder only say
            > > > '/* Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. */ where as
            > > > those in 'build' directory explicitly specify BSD licensing.
            > > >
            > > > So is this code under BSD license ??
            > > > The code in examples of dragdrop is very important for doing
            anything
            > > > usefull with DragDrop (I think). Can it be included somewhere under
            > > > under build folder ??? (DragDropUtils..or something).
            > > >
            > > > Regards,
            > > > Ashish

          • Thomas S. Sha
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17, 2006
              wrote:

              > Hi there.
              >
              > I think this is a really important question and would also very much
              > appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example code. It's
              > particularly important since many of us get started with the library
              > by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
              > thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real problem
              > since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
              > examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it seems
              > like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
              > before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient(tm).
              >
              > Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-like
              > things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library (e.g.
              > the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the main
              > library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be pretty
              > disappointed.

              Sorry for my late reply to this(and related) query.

              The licensing terms are applicable for the YUI source and example
              code. The examples exist to demonstrate potential use cases for each
              YUI component, as well as seed ideas. Over time, some examples may be
              further refined and incorporated officially into YUI (e.g., colour
              picker).

              Regards,
              Thomas
            • shahproject2003
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 18, 2006
                Hi Jon,

                I have also question, that can we copy the yahoo_2.0.0-b3.js file,
                and use for commercial website at work? Is there any licensing
                procedure required?

                YUI is nice, but I am not sure can we copy the script, library and
                DOM in our project or not?

                I would appreciate, if you found something about it and suggest me
                something in it.

                Thanks,
                Shah

                <jon.chambers@...> wrote:

                > Hello!
                >
                > I'd also argue that this is a barrier to IP-conscious businesses
                (like
                > mine) adopting YUI. If we don't know what we're getting ourselves
                > into with respect to IP issues, we're not going to be able to use
                the
                > technology.
                >
                > Is somebody at least looking into this? Is there anybody else I
                can ask?

                > Thanks.
                >
                > -Jon
                >
                > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "randomjuju" <jon.chambers@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi there.
                > >
                > > I think this is a really important question and would also very
                much
                > > appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example
                code. It's
                > > particularly important since many of us get started with the
                library
                > > by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
                > > thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real
                problem
                > > since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
                > > examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it
                seems
                > > like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
                > > before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient
                (tm).

                > > Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-
                like
                > > things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library
                (e.g.
                > > the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the
                main
                > > library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be
                pretty
                > > disappointed.
                > >
                > > Thanks very much!
                > >
                > > -Jon
                > >
                > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "ashish_patil0"
                > > <ashish_patil0@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > > Yahoo! UI library is awesome . I like the drag and drop
                > implementation.
                > > > I wanted to use it onto my site but I found that *.js files in
                > > > D:\ashish\Temp\yui\examples\dragdrop\js folder only say
                > > > '/* Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. */
                where as
                > > > those in 'build' directory explicitly specify BSD licensing.
                > > >
                > > > So is this code under BSD license ??
                > > > The code in examples of dragdrop is very important for doing
                anything
                > > > usefull with DragDrop (I think). Can it be included somewhere
                under
                > > > under build folder ??? (DragDropUtils..or something).
                > > >
                > > > Regards,
                > > > Ashish

              • randomjuju
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 20, 2006
                  Thanks very much -- I really appreciate that you took the time to look
                  into this!

                  -Jon