Announcing YUI 2.4.0

  • georgiann puckett
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007

      The YUI team has posted a new release today. YUI 2.4.0 is now available for download.

      The 2.4.0 release adds 5 new components to the YUI Library:

      Charts: a hybrid JavaScript/Flash component that supports rendering of bar, line, or pie charts based on data obtained through the DataSource Utility.
      Selector Utility:  a CSS query engine that implements much of the CSS Selector syntax as defined by the W3C including the proposed CSS3 Selector extensions.
      JSON Utility: A JSON parse and stringify utility based on Douglas Crockford's public-domain implementation.
      Get Utility: provides the capability to dynamically add script nodes and CSS link nodes to a page, load JavaScript and CSS on an as-needed basis, and execute proxyless web-services calls when retrieving JSON data.
      Profiler: a utility that profiles specified code providing programmatic retrieval of the profiling data while the application is running.

      In addition to these new components, there are many enhancements and bug fixes included in a number of the existing library components. Please refer to the README files included with the components that you use in your development for the full details of the changes and bug fixes that were made, or to the README digest attached for a summary of all of the 2.4.0 changes. You will also find updated documentation corresponding to the new release on the YUI Website.

      As we provide this update, we would also like to thank all of members of the YUI community for the bug reports, patches, and feature requests that have been submitted to the YUI tracker components in Source Forge. The attached list summarizes all of the entries that have been resolved in the YUI 2.4.0 release. We greatly appreciate your participation in the continued enhancement of YUI and look forward to receiving your feedback as you integrate the new release into your products, YDN-javascript@yahoogroups.com continues to be the preferred forum for general comments and questions. If you find a bug, please log the details and provide sample code in the YUI bug tracker on Source Forge

      Best regards,
      george puckett
      on behalf of the YUI development team: Adam Moore, Dav Glass, Eric Miraglia, Jenny Han Donnelly, Luke Smith, Matt Sweeney, Nate Koechley, Satyen Desai, Thomas Sha, and Todd Kloots; and contributers: Josh Tynjala, Matt Mlinac, and Nicholas Zakas

    • dunphey
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
        Congrats--excellent work!

        Ryan Dunphey

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, georgiann puckett
        <gpuckett@...> wrote:

        > The YUI team has posted a new release today. YUI 2.4.0
        > <http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/12/04/yuii-240/> is now available for
        > download <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/download/>.
        >>
        > Best regards,
        > george puckett
        > on behalf of the YUI development team: Adam Moore, Dav Glass, Eric
        > Miraglia, Jenny Han Donnelly, Luke Smith, Matt Sweeney, Nate Koechley,
        > Satyen Desai, Thomas Sha, and Todd Kloots; and contributers: Josh
        > Tynjala, Matt Mlinac, and Nicholas Zakas
      • Devin Singleton
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
          You guys ROCK!  Thanks for the great product!  Looking forward to trying these new components!

          On Dec 4, 2007 4:09 PM, georgiann puckett <gpuckett@...
          > wrote:

          The YUI team has posted a new release today. YUI 2.4.0 is now available for download.

          The 2.4.0 release adds 5 new components to the YUI Library:

          Charts: a hybrid JavaScript/Flash component that supports rendering of bar, line, or pie charts based on data obtained through the DataSource Utility.
          Selector Utility:  a CSS query engine that implements much of the CSS Selector syntax as defined by the W3C including the proposed CSS3 Selector extensions.
          JSON Utility: A JSON parse and stringify utility based on Douglas Crockford's public-domain implementation.
          Get Utility: provides the capability to dynamically add script nodes and CSS link nodes to a page, load JavaScript and CSS on an as-needed basis, and execute proxyless web-services calls when retrieving JSON data.
          Profiler: a utility that profiles specified code providing programmatic retrieval of the profiling data while the application is running.

          In addition to these new components, there are many enhancements and bug fixes included in a number of the existing library components. Please refer to the README files included with the components that you use in your development for the full details of the changes and bug fixes that were made, or to the README digest attached for a summary of all of the 2.4.0 changes. You will also find updated documentation corresponding to the new release on the YUI Website.

          As we provide this update, we would also like to thank all of members of the YUI community for the bug reports, patches, and feature requests that have been submitted to the YUI tracker components in Source Forge. The attached list summarizes all of the entries that have been resolved in the YUI 2.4.0 release. We greatly appreciate your participation in the continued enhancement of YUI and look forward to receiving your feedback as you integrate the new release into your products, YDN-javascript@yahoogroups.com continues to be the preferred forum for general comments and questions. If you find a bug, please log the details and provide sample code in the YUI bug tracker on Source Forge

          Best regards,
          george puckett
          on behalf of the YUI development team: Adam Moore, Dav Glass, Eric Miraglia, Jenny Han Donnelly, Luke Smith, Matt Sweeney, Nate Koechley, Satyen Desai, Thomas Sha, and Todd Kloots; and contributers: Josh Tynjala, Matt Mlinac, and Nicholas Zakas

          YUI Release 2.4.0 README Digest

          This document is a summary of the 2.4.0 update information that has been added to the respective

          README files included within each component folder.  Please refer the README files for the

          components you are using for a full change history of each component.

          Animation

          • Enhancements

          - calling stop() on a non-animated Anim no longer fires onComplete

          AutoComplete

          • Enhancements

          - Support for YUI JSON Utility.

          - The allowBrowserAutocomplete property now supports cases when the user navigates

            away from page via mean other than a form submission.

          - Added support for integration with the Get Utility, for proxyless data

            retrieval from dynamically loaded script nodes.

          • Bug Fixes

          - Typing 'Enter' to select item no longer causes automatic form submission on

            Mac browsers.

          Base

          • Enhancements

          - Added margin-bottom:1em; for PRE element to match P

          - Added color:#000 for legend element, accommodation for IE

          - Added set width (equivalent to 160px but set in EMs) for input's

            width type = text or password, and for textareas.

          • Bug Fixes

          - Fixed typo in comments.

          Button

          • Enhancements

          - Added a static method "YAHOO.widget.Button.getButton" that returns a Button

            instance with the specified HTML element id.

          • Bug Fixes

          - Removed the ".yui-skin-sam" CSS class name from style rules in the core

            stylesheet so that it is now truly skin agnostic.

          - Updated the default text for tooltips for Buttons of type "radio" so that

            they offer the correct instructional text.

          - Menus with grouped YAHOO.widget.MenuItem instances will now highlight

            correctly when used with Button.

          - Buttons of type "link" now have the same default height as other Button

            types in Internet Explorer.

          - Buttons of various types now line up correctly on the same line.

          - Menu is now truly an optional dependency of Button.

          - Menus now render with the correct width when the "yui-skin-sam" CSS class

            name is applied to an element other than the <BODY>.

          Calendar

          • Enhancements

          - Added CalendarNavigator (year selector) feature to allow the user to jump to a

            year/month directly without having to scroll through months sequentially.

            The feature is enabled/configured using the "navigator" configuration property.

          - Added Custom Events:

          showNav/beforeShowNav

          hideNav/beforeHideNav,

                renderNav/beforeRenderNav

            To Calendar/CalendarGroup, in support of the CalendarNavigator functionality.

          - Added Custom Events:

          show/beforeShow

          hide/beforeHide

            To Calendar and CalendarGroup. Returning false from a beforeShow/beforeHide

            listener can be used to prevent the Calendar from being shown/hidden respectively.

          - Added Public Methods:

              getCellIndex(date)    [ Calendar ]

              getCalendarPage(date) [ CalendarGroup ]

              toDate(dateArray)     [ Calendar/CalendarGroup ]

              removeRenderers()     [ Calendar/CalendarGroup ]

          - The Calendar/CalendarGroup constructor is now more flexible:

              * It no longer requires an "id" argument.

                In it's simplest form, a Calendar/CalendarGroup can be

                constructed by simply providing a container id or reference.

                    var cal = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar("container");

                    -or-

                    var containerDiv = YAHOO.util.Dom.get("container");

                    var cal = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar(containerDiv);

                An id for the Calendar does not need to be provided, and will be

                generated from the container id by appending an "_t" suffix to the

                container id if only the container is provided.

              * The container argument can be either a string, representing the

                id of the container, or an HTMLElement referring to the container

                element itself, as suggested in the example above.

              * If an HTMLElement is provided for the container argument and the

                element does not have an id, one will be generated for it using

                YAHOO.util.Dom.generateId().

              * The older form of Calendar/CalendarGroup signature, expecting

                both an id and containerId is still supported and works as it did

                prior to 2.4.0.

          - Added getDate(year, month, date) factory method to the DateMath utility,

            which can be used to create JavaScript Date instances for years less

            than 100.

          - Changed Calendar/CalendarGroup/DateMath code to use the DateMath.getDate

            method, so that 2 digit years are not assumed to be in the 1900's.

            NOTE: Calendar's API already expects 4 digit date strings when referring

            to years after 999.

          • Bug Fixes

          - Fixed performance issue, where the same custom renderer was being

            applied multiple times to the same cell.

          Charts

          • Initial release

          Color Picker

          • Bug Fixes

          - Initialization values assigned to showcontrols, showrgbcontrols,

               showwebsafe, showhexsummary, animate, red, green, and blue in the

               constructor configuration are now honored.

          Connection

          • Enhancements

          - The callback object can accept a new member, cache, defined with a Boolean value.  If set to

            false (e.g., var callback = { cache:false };), a timestamp will be appended to the URI to override

            HTTP GET caching.  This timestamp value will appear as rnd=timestamp in the request querystring.

          - Custom Events startEvent, completeEvent, and abortEvent now receive callback.argument,

            if defined, in addition to the transaction ID.  Each Custom Event's function handler receives

            two arguments -- the event type as the first argument, and an array as the second argument.

            The first element in the array is the transaction ID, and the second element are any arguments

            defined in the callback object.

          • Bug Fixes

          -  Fixed Source Forge bug 1804153.  Transactions initialized with setForm() now properly clear

             the POST data field after each transaction.

          Container

          • Enhancements

          - Added "dragOnly" configuration property to Panel, to leverage

            the "dragOnly" configuration property added to the DragDrop

            utility for 2.4.0.

            When the "dragOnly" configuration property is set to true,

            the DD instance created for the Panel will not check for drop

            targets on the page, improving performance during drag operations

            which don't require drop target interaction.

            The property is set to "false" by default to maintain backwards

            compatibility with older 2.x releases, but should be set to "true"

            if no drop targets for the Panel exist on the page.

            See the DragDrop utilities 2.4.0 README for additional information.

          • Bug Fixes

          - constraintoviewport and fixedcenter now handle Overlays which are

            larger than the viewport. The Overlay will be positioned such that

            it's top, left corner is in the viewport. Panel's draggable

            behavior now also honors constraintoviewport, if the panel is

            larger than the viewport.

          - constrainToViewport will now correctly constrain Overlays which

            haven't been specifically positioned (don't have an XY value set).

          - Overlay/OverlayManager bringToTop methods will bring Overlays to

            the top of the stack, even if their current zindex is the same as

            other Overlays on the page.

          - Fixed double textResizeEvents fired on gecko based browsers (e.g

            Firefox 2.x).

          - Panel underlay now resizes correctly in Safari 2.x, when the

            content of the Panel is modified (e.g. when setBody() is called).

          - Tooltip "text" configuration property is no longer overridden by

            the "title" attribute value on the context element if both are

            set. The "text" configuration property takes precedence

            (as indicated in the Tooltip documentation).

          - Transparent shadows no longer become opaque (black) in IE6/IE7

            when a Panel with ContainerEffect.FADE is hidden and then

            shown again. Also on IE6/IE7 transparent shadows no longer

            appear opaque while animation is in progress.

          - An empty header is no longer created for non-draggable

            Dialogs/SimpleDialogs which don't provide their own headers.

            By design, an empty header is still created for draggable

            Dialogs/SimpleDialogs which don't provide a header, in order

            to provide a drag handle.

          - Select boxes inside Modal Panels on IE6 are no longer hidden.

          - In Sam Skin, Dialog/SimpleDialog default and non-default HTML

            buttons (used when YUI Button is not included on the page) now

            have a consistent look. Previously style properties intended

            for default YUI Buttons, were being incorrectly applied to

            default HTML buttons, giving them a look inconsistent with

            non-default buttons.

          Data Source

          • Enhancements

          - Support for YUI JSON Utility.

          - Implemented setInterval(), clearInterval(), and clearAllIntervals() for polling.

          - Text data parsing algorithm now tolerates newlines within and at the end of data.

          Data Table

          • No changes

          Dom

          • Enhancements

          - added getClientRegion()

          - isAncestor and inDocument no longer use batch

          • Bug Fixes

          - no longer accounting for safari body margin when offsetParent == body

          Drag and Drop

          • Enhancements

          - Added configuration option called "dragOnly". If dragOnly is set to true,

            all event in the fireEvents method will not fire. These events are:

                  onInvalidDrop

                  b4DragOut & onDragOut

                  onDragEnter

                  b4DragOver & onDragOver

                  b4DragDrop & onDragDrop

             This config option should be used to drag elements that have no need for

             drop interaction. They are elements that just need to move.

          Editor

          • Enhancements

          - Created a new base class called SimpleEditor. Editor now extends SimpleEditor

          - Created 2 new Toolbar Buttons

              YAHOO.widget.ToolbarButton - No requirement for Button or Menu

              YAHOO.widget.ToolbarButtonAdvanced - Still Required Button and Menu

          • Bug Fixes

          - All browsers

                  1. [Source Forge 1774823] Change text size removes selection highlight

                  2. [Source Forge 1796897] Font size issue

                  3. [Source Forge 1799379] setEditorHTML strips title attribute

                  4. [Source Forge 1810162] [example] Link Options Window appears behind the editor

                      Added a config option "limitCommands" when set to true, the editor will not execute a command

                      that is not bound to a button.

                  5. [Source Forge 1808154] add non-editable snippets to YUI-RTE

                      Added a config option "allowNoEdit", when set to true the "_isNonEditalble method is called at the

           beginning of all event handlers to check if this element or a parent element has the class yui-noedit (this.CLASS_NOEDIT) applied. If it does, then this method will stop the event and return true. The

          event handlers will then return false and stop the nodeChange from occuring. This method will also

          disable and enable the Editor's toolbar based on the noedit state.

                  6. [Source Forge 1808102] Keep the content of invalidHTML

                      If you set the value of a key in this.invalidHTML to "{ keepContents: true }", then the element will

          be replaced with a yui-non span to be filtered out when cleanHTML is called. The only tag that is

          ignored here is the span tag as it will force the Editor into a loop and freeze the browser. However,

          all of these tags will be removed in the cleanHTML routine

                  7. [Source Forge 1818681] RTE converts input tags to emnput

                  8. [Source Forge 1787357] Split into separate modules

                      Split the Editor into Editor and SimpleEditor. Also split out the execCommand support into several

          methods for easier overriding and extending.

                  9. [Source Forge 1779516] Dirty flag for editor

                      You can now check the editorDirty property on the Editor instance. It will be default false and be set

          to true when something important happens. You will need to manually change it back to false when you check it.

          - Internet Explorer

                  1. [Source Forge 1804028, 1810362] Omission of DocType at top of page

                      It appears that Internet Explorer doesn't like the page containing the Editor to not have a doctype

          if the page inside the editor does. The Editor will now check for compatMode and if it is not in standards

          mode, it will omit the doctype from the editable area.

                  2. [Source Forge 1808818] IE6 reports security violation on secure pages

                  3. [Source Forge 1810362] Will Not Work Without DTD header

                  4. yui editor indentation problem

                  5. [Source Forge 1789702] RTE Image insertion creates timer error

          - Firefox

                  1. Can not get focus on edit box in FF 1.5 on FreeBSD

          Element

          • No changes

          Event

          • Enhancements

          - getListeners/purgeElement accepts either an element reference or an element id

          - onAvailable/onContentReady accepts a single id or an array of ids

          - No longer removing listeners during the unload event for non-IE browsers

          - IE unload strategy for cross page memory leaks changed from removing each listener

            to calling clearAttributes()

          - the DOMReady property is now public

          - Changed IE onDOMReady approach from the defered script node hack to the doScroll('left') hack

          - getCharChode now Remaps SHIFT-TAB key code (25) to TAB (9) in Safari

          - getCharCode provides the proper key codes for page up and page down in Safari

          - Restored object check to _isValidCollection.

          - In KeyListener, added keycode constants for some of the special keys.

          • Bug Fixes

          - Rolled back the change added for hacking around IE errors from bubbled

            events that originally targeted an ActiveX control.

          Fonts

          • Enhancements

          - Rechanged core line-height from 1.22 to 1.231, sans units.

          - Updated line-height value for monospcaed elements.

          Get

          • Initial release

          Grids

          • No changes

          History Manager

          • Enhancements

          - Added onReady method (similar to the Event utility's DOMReady method)

          - Starting with YUI 2.4.0, the necessary markup (see documentation) must be

             statically created in the HTML document, and passed to the Browser History

             Manager initialize method. This has two major benefits over older versions:

                - The Browser History Manager may be initialized much later than before,

                  allowing for the corresponding <script> tag to be embedded at the

                  bottom of the page (which is good for performance)

                - IE had a tendency to "forget" part or all of the history when returning

                  to a page.

          • Bug Fixes

          - Fixed SourceForge bugs 1794347, 1490803, 1490818 and 1420015.

          Image Loader

          • No changes

          JSON

          • Initial release

          Logger

          • Enhancements

          - Global window error event no longer being handled by default. Implemented

             handleWindowErrors() and unhandleWindowErrors().

          Menu

          • Enhancements

          - Added a new "minscrollheight" configuration property to YAHOO.widget.Menu

            that defines the minimum threshold for the "maxheight" configuration property.

          - Added a new "scrollincrement" configuration property to YAHOO.widget.Menu

            which can be used to increase or decrease the scroll speed of scolled menu.

          - Hidden YAHOO.widget.Menu instances are now positioned off screen to

            prevent them from introducing scrollbars on the browser viewport.  The

            default off-screen position is -10000 for both the x and y coordinates and is

            defined in a new constant: "YAHOO.widget.Menu.prototype.OFF_SCREEN_POSITION".

            The method responsible for moving a menu off the screen is

            "YAHOO.widget.Menu.prototype.positionOffScreen" which is called in response

            to the firing of the "hide" event.

          - Setting "iframe" configuration property on a YAHOO.widget.MenuBar instance

            will now result in the property cascading down to all submenus.

          - The "position" configuration property no longer automatically enables the

            iframe shim for YAHOO.widget.Menu instances.  Previously, setting the

            "position" configuration property to "static" would automatically

            set the "iframe" configuration property to "false," and setting "position" to

            "dynamic" would set the "iframe" configuration property to "true" for IE 6.

          - YAHOO.widget.Menu instances no longer have their widths set automatically

            as they are rendered.

          - Modified the DOM structure for a YAHOO.widget.MenuItem instance so that the

            submenu indicator node (<EM class="submenuindicator" />) and checked

            indicator node (<EM class="checkedindicator" />) that were previously direct

            descendants of the <A/> node are no longer present.  The updated DOM

            structure of a YAHOO.widget.MenuItem instance is now:

              <LI class="yuimenuitem">

                  <A class="yuimenuitemlabel">

                      Text Label

                      <EM class="helptext"> Help Text </EM>   (Optional)

                  </A>

                  <DIV class="yuimenu"> ... </DIV> (Optional submenu node)

              </LI>

            With the removal of the submenu indicator and checked indicator nodes,

            the following YAHOO.widget.MenuItem constants, used to define the inner

            text of these nodes, have been removed:

              - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.COLLAPSED_SUBMENU_INDICATOR_TEXT

              - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.EXPANDED_SUBMENU_INDICATOR_TEXT

              - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.DISABLED_SUBMENU_INDICATOR_TEXT

              - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.CHECKED_TEXT

              - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.DISABLED_CHECKED_TEXT

            The "submenuIndicator" property of YAHOO.widget.MenuItem has also

            been removed.

          - Modified the CSS class names used to represent the state of

            YAHOO.widget.MenuItem and YAHOO.widget.MenuBarItem instances.  Previous to

            2.4.0 the following CSS class names were applied only to the <A> element

            representing the text label for YAHOO.widget.MenuItem and

            YAHOO.widget.MenuBarItem instances:

              - hashelptext

              - checked

              - hassubmenu

              - selected

              - disabled

            To provide more flexibility and facilitate easier styling of state, a set of

            new CSS class names have been created that are applied to both the root

            <LI> node and its child <A> node for YAHOO.widget.MenuItem and

            YAHOO.widget.MenuBarItem instances:

          - New YAHOO.widget.MenuItem CSS classes:

              The following are applied to the <LI> element:

              .yuimenuitem-hassubmenu

              .yuimenuitem-checked

              .yuimenuitem-selected

              .yuimenuitem-disabled

              .yuimenuitem-checked-selected

              .yuimenuitem-checked-disabled

              .yuimenuitem-hassubmenu-selected

              .yuimenuitem-hassubmenu-disabled

              The following are applied to the <A> element:

              .yuimenuitemlabel-hassubmenu

              .yuimenuitemlabel-checked

              .yuimenuitemlabel-selected

              .yuimenuitemlabel-disabled

              .yuimenuitemlabel-checked-selected

              .yuimenuitemlabel-checked-disabled

              .yuimenuitemlabel-hassubmenu-selected

              .yuimenuitemlabel-hassubmenu-disabled

              New YAHOO.widget.MenuBarItem CSS classes:

              The following are applied to the <LI> element:

              .yuimenubaritem-hassubmenu

              .yuimenubaritem-selected

              .yuimenubaritem-disabled

              .yuimenubaritem-hassubmenu-selected

              .yuimenubaritem-hassubmenu-disabled

              The following are applied to the <A> element:

              .yuimenubaritemlabel-hassubmenu

              .yuimenubaritemlabel-selected

              .yuimenubaritemlabel-disabled

              .yuimenubaritemlabel-hassubmenu-selected

              .yuimenubaritemlabel-hassubmenu-disabled

          - Deprecated the YAHOO.widget.ContextMenuItem class and replaced it

            with YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.

          - All submenus of a YAHOO.widget.ContextMenu instance are now of type

            YAHOO.widget.Menu.

          - Updated the behavior of the "clicktohide" configuration property of

            YAHOO.widget.Menu so that it behaves as documented: controls whether or not

            clicking outside a menu results in the menu hiding.

          • Bug Fixes

          - The "context" property of YAHOO.widget.Menu works better in IE 6.

        • Fernando Santos
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
            Thank you! Great work!
            One question: When i try to access the online samples of Chats component (any sample) , i get the error: "Unable to load Flash content." (Using Fx 2.0.0.11 in Fedora)
            One suggestion: Can you release a repository of samples so the community can contribute with different samples for the YUI components?
            That will be nice!
            Thank you again and sorry the bad english :)
            Fernando Santos

            georgiann puckett wrote:

[...]

            YUI Release 2

[...]

          • Eric Miraglia
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
              Fernando,

              This is my bad, again (seeing a pattern here?).

              YUI Charts Control requires Flash Player 9.0.45 or later.  We have not made this at all clear on the examples or on the user's guide, for which I apologize.  We'll get that rectified.

              In the meantime, do upgrade your Flash Player (from http://adobe.com) and let us know what you think!

              Regards,
              Eric

              Eric Miraglia
              Yahoo! User Interface Library

              georgiann puckett wrote:

[...]

            • Corey Kaye
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                HI !

                I have a panel but maybe it should be an overlay and i want it to float
                on the screen and not scroll off. I've searched the API but can't find
                the specific event listener that would let me update it's xy.

                Thanks.
                CK
              • Satyen Desai
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Hey Corey,

                  Sounds like "constraintoviewport" is what you're looking for.

                  Does it not do what you need?

                  See:
                  http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.Overlay.html#constraint
                  oviewport

                  Panel is a subclass of Overlay, so it inherits support for the
                  "constraintoviewport" configuration property.

                  Here's a Panel example which uses it:
                  http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/panel.html

                  Let us know if that doesn't help,
                  Satyen

                  p.s. If you want to listen for changes in position, listen for the
                  beforeMove and move events.
                • Corey Kaye
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Hi Satyen !

                    Yes, i'm using constrainToViewPort and i like how it keeps it constrained inside the window but what i'm talking about is when the user scrolls the window down the panel scrolls too and will scroll right off the screen.  I'd like to keep the panel on screen at all times and have it float down (or up) as the window is moved.

                    Thanks,
                    CK

                  • Satyen Desai
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                      Ah I see. Missed the scroll part.

                      So, as currently implemented constraintoviewport is only enforced when
                      the xy position of the Overlay/Panel is set/changed (unlike
                      fixedcenter which actively listens for window scroll and resize).

                      However Overlay exposes events related to viewport changes (at the
                      class level) which fixedcenter uses.

                      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.Overlay.html#YAHOO.widget.Overlay.windowScrollEvent
                      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.Overlay.html#YAHOO.widget.Overlay.windowResizeEvent

                      You can build a solution using these. Here's an example using the
                      windowScroll event to get the effect you need:

                      http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v231/examples/container/constrainOnScroll.html

                      The example uses 2.3.1, but works for 2.4.0 also, if you've already
                      upgraded.

                      Regards,
                      Satyen
                    • zmische
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
                        Base.css
                        * Added color:#000 for legend element, accomodation for IE

                        I didnt find any css for Legend element in this CSS file at all? Is
                        it bug?
                      • Fernando Santos
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
                          Thank you, Eric.
                          I upgrade my Flash Player and now i can see the samples :) Very beautiful!
                          Another dummy question: Can i change the background-color of SWF or its only white?
                          Thank you again

                          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _______

                          georgiann puckett wrote:

[...]

                          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                        • Eric Miraglia
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
                            Fernando,

                            I recommend reading through the full User's Guide for information about how you can style the charts -- Josh has done a great job there of laying out all the styling levers you have.

                            Specifically, I think the basic styling section is where he talks about background color:

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
                              YUI Release 2
                              Yesterday I changed the references to the YUI components from 2.3.1 to 2.4.0 in all my applications.  Everything works just as it did before.  I wasn't using the YUI Loader so that change didn't affect me, but that was an intentional change and a good one.  As for the rest, it all works fine.

                              It has been a full day.  Has there been any mails on issues specific to this release, things that broke on changing?  Not many, if any, that I recall.

                              That is what I call a good job!  These guys are great!

                              Satyam

                            • Brendan Vogt
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007

                                What editor did you use?

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
                                  You mean to compose the message?  Outlook Express.  I was surprised my message got all that silly code into it.  I usually use plain text but since I meant to follow the thread from the announcement, I replied to the original message in rich text format.  I guess that's what got it confused, I hope it dodn't break anything in any other client.

                                  As if I use YUI's RTE editor, for reasons that are not related to YUI I had to switch to Google Docs because some colaborative editing was needed (revision control)  and also importing and exporting from various formats and there was some inhouse experience on that with GDocs so that's my RTE editor right now.  Are there issues there?

                                  Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:40 PM

                                  What editor did you use?

                                  Yesterday I changed the references to the YUI components from 2.3.1 to 2.4.0 in all my applications.  Everything works just as it did before.  I wasn't using the YUI Loader so that change didn't affect me, but that was an intentional change and a good one.  As for the rest, it all works fine.

                                  It has been a full day.  Has there been any mails on issues specific to this release, things that broke on changing?  Not many, if any, that I recall.

                                  That is what I call a good job!  These guys are great!

                                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                • parallel_galaxy
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 20, 2007
                                    <gpuckett@...> wrote:

                                    > The YUI team has posted a new release today. YUI 2.4.0
                                    > <http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/12/04/yuii-240/> is now available for
                                    > download <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/download/>.
                                    >
                                    > The 2.4.0 release adds 5 new components to the YUI Library:
                                    >
                                    > . *Charts: *a hybrid JavaScript/Flash component that supports rendering
                                    > of bar, line, or pie charts based on data obtained through the
                                    > DataSource Utility.
                                    > . *Selector Utility: * a CSS query engine that implements much of the
                                    > CSS Selector syntax as defined by the W3C including the proposed CSS3
                                    > Selector extensions.
                                    > . *JSON Utility:* A JSON parse and stringify utility based on Douglas
                                    > Crockford's public-domain implementation.
                                    > . *Get Utility:* provides the capability to dynamically add script
                                    nodes
                                    > and CSS link nodes to a page, load JavaScript and CSS on an as-needed
                                    > basis, and execute proxyless web-services calls when retrieving JSON
                                    data.
                                    > . *Profiler: *a utility that profiles specified code providing
                                    > programmatic retrieval of the profiling data while the application is
                                    > running.
                                    >
                                    > In addition to these new components, there are many enhancements and
                                    bug
                                    > fixes included in a number of the existing library components. Please
                                    > refer to the README files included with the components that you use in
                                    > your development for the full details of the changes and bug fixes that
                                    > were made, or to the README digest attached for a summary of all of the
                                    > 2.4.0 changes. You will also find updated documentation
                                    corresponding to
                                    > the new release on the YUI Website. <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/>
                                    >
                                    > As we provide this update, we would also like to thank all of
                                    members of
                                    > the YUI community for the bug reports, patches, and feature requests
                                    > that have been submitted to the YUI tracker components in Source Forge.
                                    > The attached list summarizes all of the entries that have been resolved
                                    > in the YUI 2.4.0 release. We greatly appreciate your participation in
                                    > the continued enhancement of YUI and look forward to receiving your
                                    > feedback as you integrate the new release into your products,
                                    > YDN-javascript@yahoogroups.com continues to be the preferred forum for
                                    > general comments and questions. If you find a bug, please log the
                                    > details and provide sample code in the YUI bug tracker on Source Forge
                                    > <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/reportingbugs/>.
                                    >
                                    > Best regards,
                                    > george puckett
                                    > on behalf of the YUI development team: Adam Moore, Dav Glass, Eric
                                    > Miraglia, Jenny Han Donnelly, Luke Smith, Matt Sweeney, Nate Koechley,
                                    > Satyen Desai, Thomas Sha, and Todd Kloots; and contributers: Josh
                                    > Tynjala, Matt Mlinac, and Nicholas Zakas

                                    Regarding Browser History Manager. In the release notes, it says that
                                    IE had a tendency to "forget" part or all of the history when
                                    returning to a page and that new markup fixes that issue. However,
                                    it's still happening for me. Any suggestions on how to go about it?

                                    Thank you.
                                    ~Katya
                                  • Eric Miraglia
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 21, 2007
                                      Katya,

                                      If the new markup isn't solving the issue for you as we'd expected, please provide as concise a repro case as you can and file a bug in SourceForge -- we'd certainly be interested in looking into that.