Announcing YUI 2.4.0

  • georgiann puckett
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007

      Title: Announcing YUI 2.4.0

      The YUI team has posted a new release today. YUI 2.4.0 is now available for download.

      The 2.4.0 release adds 5 new components to the YUI Library:

      Charts: a hybrid JavaScript/Flash component that supports rendering of bar, line, or pie charts based on data obtained through the DataSource Utility.
      Selector Utility:  a CSS query engine that implements much of the CSS Selector syntax as defined by the W3C including the proposed CSS3 Selector extensions.
      JSON Utility: A JSON parse and stringify utility based on Douglas Crockford's public-domain implementation.
      Get Utility: provides the capability to dynamically add script nodes and CSS link nodes to a page, load JavaScript and CSS on an as-needed basis, and execute proxyless web-services calls when retrieving JSON data.
      Profiler: a utility that profiles specified code providing programmatic retrieval of the profiling data while the application is running.

      In addition to these new components, there are many enhancements and bug fixes included in a number of the existing library components. Please refer to the README files included with the components that you use in your development for the full details of the changes and bug fixes that were made, or to the README digest attached for a summary of all of the 2.4.0 changes. You will also find updated documentation corresponding to the new release on the YUI Website.

      As we provide this update, we would also like to thank all of members of the YUI community for the bug reports, patches, and feature requests that have been submitted to the YUI tracker components in Source Forge. The attached list summarizes all of the entries that have been resolved in the YUI 2.4.0 release. We greatly appreciate your participation in the continued enhancement of YUI and look forward to receiving your feedback as you integrate the new release into your products, YDN-javascript@yahoogroups.com continues to be the preferred forum for general comments and questions. If you find a bug, please log the details and provide sample code in the YUI bug tracker on Source Forge

      Best regards,
      george puckett
      on behalf of the YUI development team: Adam Moore, Dav Glass, Eric Miraglia, Jenny Han Donnelly, Luke Smith, Matt Sweeney, Nate Koechley, Satyen Desai, Thomas Sha, and Todd Kloots; and contributers: Josh Tynjala, Matt Mlinac, and Nicholas Zakas

    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
        It's a little quick for a mea culpa, but I wanted to let everyone know that there does appear to be a problem with the Charts examples in the SourceForge download.  For now, please refer to the site itself for those examples:

        We'll get the download sorted out shortly.

        Regards,
        Eric

        Eric Miraglia
        Yahoo! User Interface Library

        On Dec 4, 2007, at 3:55 PM, georgiann puckett wrote:

[...]

        Source Forge IDSummarySubmitted By
        1776987[#1431306] ToolTip text is being superceded by titleabickcgi
        1808818[#1528733] IE6 reports security violation on secure pagesaltearius
        1824097[#1576941] Loader Container dependencies missing connectionapinstein
        1766308[#1419752] TreeView:nodes below level 38 not displayed in IEawillersrud
        1798251[#1490794] Input Width Not Resetbdoms
        1660831[#1493522] Add support for textnode tooltipsbgoldfarb
        1732761[#1241193] problem with method center() on dialogbobbicat71
        1801628[#1517634] Removing all nodes in tree does not workbrettelliott
        1775416[#1491142] Collection of buttons referencesbubbling
        1786461[#1490803] getQueryStringParam and anchorscbuguet
        1798408[#1508371] HTML Source Viewcosmo8331
        1814066[#1539827] version 2.3.1 yahoo-dom-event.js brakes Dojo GFXcscheers
        1698261[#1493517] getListeners/addListener arguments don't matchdevasatyam
        1779538[#1508401] List of commands for execCommanddevasatyam
        1779516[#1508403] Dirty flag for editordevasatyam
        1763759[#1491232] YAHOO_config.localedevasatyam
        1774795[#1510088] Calendar - Change to constructor argumentsdevasatyam
        1816416[#1549152] Example shows JSON data instead of XMLdevasatyam
        1812186[#1539855] Documentation: valid values for filter propertydevasatyam
        1772037[#1418983] Gap appears under menuitem with submenu; IE onlydsdart
        1613434[#1510386] onClose event for Calendar2up widgetfarastray
        1774823[#1423860] Change text size removes selection highlightharking
        1765512[#1419893] LEGEND color not resethotgazpacho
        1794347[#1490811] getBookMarkedState does not work with encoded '='jhubble
        1790423[#1518020] Datasource throws error with null text fieldsjhubble
        1638081[#1493544] Include list of keycodes w/YAHOO.util.KeyListenerjonchambers
        1774323
      • georgiann puckett

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
            Congrats--excellent work!

            Ryan Dunphey

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, georgiann puckett
            <gpuckett@...> wrote:

            > The YUI team has posted a new release today. YUI 2.4.0
            > <http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/12/04/yuii-240/> is now available for
            > download <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/download/>.
            >>
            > Best regards,
            > george puckett
            > on behalf of the YUI development team: Adam Moore, Dav Glass, Eric
            > Miraglia, Jenny Han Donnelly, Luke Smith, Matt Sweeney, Nate Koechley,
            > Satyen Desai, Thomas Sha, and Todd Kloots; and contributers: Josh
            > Tynjala, Matt Mlinac, and Nicholas Zakas
          • Devin Singleton
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
              You guys ROCK!  Thanks for the great product!  Looking forward to trying these new components!

              On Dec 4, 2007 4:09 PM, georgiann puckett <gpuckett@...
              > wrote:

              The YUI team has posted a new release today. YUI 2.4.0 is now available for download.

              The 2.4.0 release adds 5 new components to the YUI Library:

              Charts: a hybrid JavaScript/Flash component that supports rendering of bar, line, or pie charts based on data obtained through the DataSource Utility.
              Selector Utility:  a CSS query engine that implements much of the CSS Selector syntax as defined by the W3C including the proposed CSS3 Selector extensions.
              JSON Utility: A JSON parse and stringify utility based on Douglas Crockford's public-domain implementation.
              Get Utility: provides the capability to dynamically add script nodes and CSS link nodes to a page, load JavaScript and CSS on an as-needed basis, and execute proxyless web-services calls when retrieving JSON data.
              Profiler: a utility that profiles specified code providing programmatic retrieval of the profiling data while the application is running.

              In addition to these new components, there are many enhancements and bug fixes included in a number of the existing library components. Please refer to the README files included with the components that you use in your development for the full details of the changes and bug fixes that were made, or to the README digest attached for a summary of all of the 2.4.0 changes. You will also find updated documentation corresponding to the new release on the YUI Website.

              As we provide this update, we would also like to thank all of members of the YUI community for the bug reports, patches, and feature requests that have been submitted to the YUI tracker components in Source Forge. The attached list summarizes all of the entries that have been resolved in the YUI 2.4.0 release. We greatly appreciate your participation in the continued enhancement of YUI and look forward to receiving your feedback as you integrate the new release into your products, YDN-javascript@yahoogroups.com continues to be the preferred forum for general comments and questions. If you find a bug, please log the details and provide sample code in the YUI bug tracker on Source Forge

              Best regards,
              george puckett
              on behalf of the YUI development team: Adam Moore, Dav Glass, Eric Miraglia, Jenny Han Donnelly, Luke Smith, Matt Sweeney, Nate Koechley, Satyen Desai, Thomas Sha, and Todd Kloots; and contributers: Josh Tynjala, Matt Mlinac, and Nicholas Zakas

              YUI Release 2.4.0 README Digest

              This document is a summary of the 2.4.0 update information that has been added to the respective

              README files included within each component folder.  Please refer the README files for the

              components you are using for a full change history of each component.

              Animation

              • Enhancements

              - calling stop() on a non-animated Anim no longer fires onComplete

              AutoComplete

              • Enhancements

              - Support for YUI JSON Utility.

              - The allowBrowserAutocomplete property now supports cases when the user navigates

                away from page via mean other than a form submission.

              - Added support for integration with the Get Utility, for proxyless data

                retrieval from dynamically loaded script nodes.

              • Bug Fixes

              - Typing 'Enter' to select item no longer causes automatic form submission on

                Mac browsers.

              Base

              • Enhancements

              - Added margin-bottom:1em; for PRE element to match P

              - Added color:#000 for legend element, accommodation for IE

              - Added set width (equivalent to 160px but set in EMs) for input's

                width type = text or password, and for textareas.

              • Bug Fixes

              - Fixed typo in comments.

              Button

              • Enhancements

              - Added a static method "YAHOO.widget.Button.getButton" that returns a Button

                instance with the specified HTML element id.

              • Bug Fixes

              - Removed the ".yui-skin-sam" CSS class name from style rules in the core

                stylesheet so that it is now truly skin agnostic.

              - Updated the default text for tooltips for Buttons of type "radio" so that

                they offer the correct instructional text.

              - Menus with grouped YAHOO.widget.MenuItem instances will now highlight

                correctly when used with Button.

              - Buttons of type "link" now have the same default height as other Button

                types in Internet Explorer.

              - Buttons of various types now line up correctly on the same line.

              - Menu is now truly an optional dependency of Button.

              - Menus now render with the correct width when the "yui-skin-sam" CSS class

                name is applied to an element other than the <BODY>.

              Calendar

              • Enhancements

              - Added CalendarNavigator (year selector) feature to allow the user to jump to a

                year/month directly without having to scroll through months sequentially.

                The feature is enabled/configured using the "navigator" configuration property.

              - Added Custom Events:

              showNav/beforeShowNav

              hideNav/beforeHideNav,

                    renderNav/beforeRenderNav

                To Calendar/CalendarGroup, in support of the CalendarNavigator functionality.

              - Added Custom Events:

              show/beforeShow

              hide/beforeHide

                To Calendar and CalendarGroup. Returning false from a beforeShow/beforeHide

                listener can be used to prevent the Calendar from being shown/hidden respectively.

              - Added Public Methods:

                  getCellIndex(date)    [ Calendar ]

                  getCalendarPage(date) [ CalendarGroup ]

                  toDate(dateArray)     [ Calendar/CalendarGroup ]

                  removeRenderers()     [ Calendar/CalendarGroup ]

              - The Calendar/CalendarGroup constructor is now more flexible:

                  * It no longer requires an "id" argument.

                    In it's simplest form, a Calendar/CalendarGroup can be

                    constructed by simply providing a container id or reference.

                        var cal = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar("container");

                        -or-

                        var containerDiv = YAHOO.util.Dom.get("container");

                        var cal = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar(containerDiv);

                    An id for the Calendar does not need to be provided, and will be

                    generated from the container id by appending an "_t" suffix to the

                    container id if only the container is provided.

                  * The container argument can be either a string, representing the

                    id of the container, or an HTMLElement referring to the container

                    element itself, as suggested in the example above.

                  * If an HTMLElement is provided for the container argument and the

                    element does not have an id, one will be generated for it using

                    YAHOO.util.Dom.generateId().

                  * The older form of Calendar/CalendarGroup signature, expecting

                    both an id and containerId is still supported and works as it did

                    prior to 2.4.0.

              - Added getDate(year, month, date) factory method to the DateMath utility,

                which can be used to create JavaScript Date instances for years less

                than 100.

              - Changed Calendar/CalendarGroup/DateMath code to use the DateMath.getDate

                method, so that 2 digit years are not assumed to be in the 1900's.

                NOTE: Calendar's API already expects 4 digit date strings when referring

                to years after 999.

              • Bug Fixes

              - Fixed performance issue, where the same custom renderer was being

                applied multiple times to the same cell.

              Charts

              • Initial release

              Color Picker

              • Bug Fixes

              - Initialization values assigned to showcontrols, showrgbcontrols,

                   showwebsafe, showhexsummary, animate, red, green, and blue in the

                   constructor configuration are now honored.

              Connection

              • Enhancements

              - The callback object can accept a new member, cache, defined with a Boolean value.  If set to

                false (e.g., var callback = { cache:false };), a timestamp will be appended to the URI to override

                HTTP GET caching.  This timestamp value will appear as rnd=timestamp in the request querystring.

              - Custom Events startEvent, completeEvent, and abortEvent now receive callback.argument,

                if defined, in addition to the transaction ID.  Each Custom Event's function handler receives

                two arguments -- the event type as the first argument, and an array as the second argument.

                The first element in the array is the transaction ID, and the second element are any arguments

                defined in the callback object.

              • Bug Fixes

              -  Fixed Source Forge bug 1804153.  Transactions initialized with setForm() now properly clear

                 the POST data field after each transaction.

              Container

              • Enhancements

              - Added "dragOnly" configuration property to Panel, to leverage

                the "dragOnly" configuration property added to the DragDrop

                utility for 2.4.0.

                When the "dragOnly" configuration property is set to true,

                the DD instance created for the Panel will not check for drop

                targets on the page, improving performance during drag operations

                which don't require drop target interaction.

                The property is set to "false" by default to maintain backwards

                compatibility with older 2.x releases, but should be set to "true"

                if no drop targets for the Panel exist on the page.

                See the DragDrop utilities 2.4.0 README for additional information.

              • Bug Fixes

              - constraintoviewport and fixedcenter now handle Overlays which are

                larger than the viewport. The Overlay will be positioned such that

                it's top, left corner is in the viewport. Panel's draggable

                behavior now also honors constraintoviewport, if the panel is

                larger than the viewport.

              - constrainToViewport will now correctly constrain Overlays which

                haven't been specifically positioned (don't have an XY value set).

              - Overlay/OverlayManager bringToTop methods will bring Overlays to

                the top of the stack, even if their current zindex is the same as

                other Overlays on the page.

              - Fixed double textResizeEvents fired on gecko based browsers (e.g

                Firefox 2.x).

              - Panel underlay now resizes correctly in Safari 2.x, when the

                content of the Panel is modified (e.g. when setBody() is called).

              - Tooltip "text" configuration property is no longer overridden by

                the "title" attribute value on the context element if both are

                set. The "text" configuration property takes precedence

                (as indicated in the Tooltip documentation).

              - Transparent shadows no longer become opaque (black) in IE6/IE7

                when a Panel with ContainerEffect.FADE is hidden and then

                shown again. Also on IE6/IE7 transparent shadows no longer

                appear opaque while animation is in progress.

              - An empty header is no longer created for non-draggable

                Dialogs/SimpleDialogs which don't provide their own headers.

                By design, an empty header is still created for draggable

                Dialogs/SimpleDialogs which don't provide a header, in order

                to provide a drag handle.

              - Select boxes inside Modal Panels on IE6 are no longer hidden.

              - In Sam Skin, Dialog/SimpleDialog default and non-default HTML

                buttons (used when YUI Button is not included on the page) now

                have a consistent look. Previously style properties intended

                for default YUI Buttons, were being incorrectly applied to

                default HTML buttons, giving them a look inconsistent with

                non-default buttons.

              Data Source

              • Enhancements

              - Support for YUI JSON Utility.

              - Implemented setInterval(), clearInterval(), and clearAllIntervals() for polling.

              - Text data parsing algorithm now tolerates newlines within and at the end of data.

              Data Table

              • No changes

              Dom

              • Enhancements

              - added getClientRegion()

              - isAncestor and inDocument no longer use batch

              • Bug Fixes

              - no longer accounting for safari body margin when offsetParent == body

              Drag and Drop

              • Enhancements

              - Added configuration option called "dragOnly". If dragOnly is set to true,

                all event in the fireEvents method will not fire. These events are:

                      onInvalidDrop

                      b4DragOut & onDragOut

                      onDragEnter

                      b4DragOver & onDragOver

                      b4DragDrop & onDragDrop

                 This config option should be used to drag elements that have no need for

                 drop interaction. They are elements that just need to move.

              Editor

              • Enhancements

              - Created a new base class called SimpleEditor. Editor now extends SimpleEditor

              - Created 2 new Toolbar Buttons

                  YAHOO.widget.ToolbarButton - No requirement for Button or Menu

                  YAHOO.widget.ToolbarButtonAdvanced - Still Required Button and Menu

              • Bug Fixes

              - All browsers

                      1. [Source Forge 1774823] Change text size removes selection highlight

                      2. [Source Forge 1796897] Font size issue

                      3. [Source Forge 1799379] setEditorHTML strips title attribute

                      4. [Source Forge 1810162] [example] Link Options Window appears behind the editor

                          Added a config option "limitCommands" when set to true, the editor will not execute a command

                          that is not bound to a button.

                      5. [Source Forge 1808154] add non-editable snippets to YUI-RTE

                          Added a config option "allowNoEdit", when set to true the "_isNonEditalble method is called at the

               beginning of all event handlers to check if this element or a parent element has the class yui-noedit (this.CLASS_NOEDIT) applied. If it does, then this method will stop the event and return true. The

              event handlers will then return false and stop the nodeChange from occuring. This method will also

              disable and enable the Editor's toolbar based on the noedit state.

                      6. [Source Forge 1808102] Keep the content of invalidHTML

                          If you set the value of a key in this.invalidHTML to "{ keepContents: true }", then the element will

              be replaced with a yui-non span to be filtered out when cleanHTML is called. The only tag that is

              ignored here is the span tag as it will force the Editor into a loop and freeze the browser. However,

              all of these tags will be removed in the cleanHTML routine

                      7. [Source Forge 1818681] RTE converts input tags to emnput

                      8. [Source Forge 1787357] Split into separate modules

                          Split the Editor into Editor and SimpleEditor. Also split out the execCommand support into several

              methods for easier overriding and extending.

                      9. [Source Forge 1779516] Dirty flag for editor

                          You can now check the editorDirty property on the Editor instance. It will be default false and be set

              to true when something important happens. You will need to manually change it back to false when you check it.

              - Internet Explorer

                      1. [Source Forge 1804028, 1810362] Omission of DocType at top of page

                          It appears that Internet Explorer doesn't like the page containing the Editor to not have a doctype

              if the page inside the editor does. The Editor will now check for compatMode and if it is not in standards

              mode, it will omit the doctype from the editable area.

                      2. [Source Forge 1808818] IE6 reports security violation on secure pages

                      3. [Source Forge 1810362] Will Not Work Without DTD header

                      4. yui editor indentation problem

                      5. [Source Forge 1789702] RTE Image insertion creates timer error

              - Firefox

                      1. Can not get focus on edit box in FF 1.5 on FreeBSD

              Element

              • No changes

              Event

              • Enhancements

              - getListeners/purgeElement accepts either an element reference or an element id

              - onAvailable/onContentReady accepts a single id or an array of ids

              - No longer removing listeners during the unload event for non-IE browsers

              - IE unload strategy for cross page memory leaks changed from removing each listener

                to calling clearAttributes()

              - the DOMReady property is now public

              - Changed IE onDOMReady approach from the defered script node hack to the doScroll('left') hack

              - getCharChode now Remaps SHIFT-TAB key code (25) to TAB (9) in Safari

              - getCharCode provides the proper key codes for page up and page down in Safari

              - Restored object check to _isValidCollection.

              - In KeyListener, added keycode constants for some of the special keys.

              • Bug Fixes

              - Rolled back the change added for hacking around IE errors from bubbled

                events that originally targeted an ActiveX control.

              Fonts

              • Enhancements

              - Rechanged core line-height from 1.22 to 1.231, sans units.

              - Updated line-height value for monospcaed elements.

              Get

              • Initial release

              Grids

              • No changes

              History Manager

              • Enhancements

              - Added onReady method (similar to the Event utility's DOMReady method)

              - Starting with YUI 2.4.0, the necessary markup (see documentation) must be

                 statically created in the HTML document, and passed to the Browser History

                 Manager initialize method. This has two major benefits over older versions:

                    - The Browser History Manager may be initialized much later than before,

                      allowing for the corresponding <script> tag to be embedded at the

                      bottom of the page (which is good for performance)

                    - IE had a tendency to "forget" part or all of the history when returning

                      to a page.

              • Bug Fixes

              - Fixed SourceForge bugs 1794347, 1490803, 1490818 and 1420015.

              Image Loader

              • No changes

              JSON

              • Initial release

              Logger

              • Enhancements

              - Global window error event no longer being handled by default. Implemented

                 handleWindowErrors() and unhandleWindowErrors().

              Menu

              • Enhancements

              - Added a new "minscrollheight" configuration property to YAHOO.widget.Menu

                that defines the minimum threshold for the "maxheight" configuration property.

              - Added a new "scrollincrement" configuration property to YAHOO.widget.Menu

                which can be used to increase or decrease the scroll speed of scolled menu.

              - Hidden YAHOO.widget.Menu instances are now positioned off screen to

                prevent them from introducing scrollbars on the browser viewport.  The

                default off-screen position is -10000 for both the x and y coordinates and is

                defined in a new constant: "YAHOO.widget.Menu.prototype.OFF_SCREEN_POSITION".

                The method responsible for moving a menu off the screen is

                "YAHOO.widget.Menu.prototype.positionOffScreen" which is called in response

                to the firing of the "hide" event.

              - Setting "iframe" configuration property on a YAHOO.widget.MenuBar instance

                will now result in the property cascading down to all submenus.

              - The "position" configuration property no longer automatically enables the

                iframe shim for YAHOO.widget.Menu instances.  Previously, setting the

                "position" configuration property to "static" would automatically

                set the "iframe" configuration property to "false," and setting "position" to

                "dynamic" would set the "iframe" configuration property to "true" for IE 6.

              - YAHOO.widget.Menu instances no longer have their widths set automatically

                as they are rendered.

              - Modified the DOM structure for a YAHOO.widget.MenuItem instance so that the

                submenu indicator node (<EM class="submenuindicator" />) and checked

                indicator node (<EM class="checkedindicator" />) that were previously direct

                descendants of the <A/> node are no longer present.  The updated DOM

                structure of a YAHOO.widget.MenuItem instance is now:

                  <LI class="yuimenuitem">

                      <A class="yuimenuitemlabel">

                          Text Label

                          <EM class="helptext"> Help Text </EM>   (Optional)

                      </A>

                      <DIV class="yuimenu"> ... </DIV> (Optional submenu node)

                  </LI>

                With the removal of the submenu indicator and checked indicator nodes,

                the following YAHOO.widget.MenuItem constants, used to define the inner

                text of these nodes, have been removed:

                  - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.COLLAPSED_SUBMENU_INDICATOR_TEXT

                  - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.EXPANDED_SUBMENU_INDICATOR_TEXT

                  - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.DISABLED_SUBMENU_INDICATOR_TEXT

                  - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.CHECKED_TEXT

                  - YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.prototype.DISABLED_CHECKED_TEXT

                The "submenuIndicator" property of YAHOO.widget.MenuItem has also

                been removed.

              - Modified the CSS class names used to represent the state of

                YAHOO.widget.MenuItem and YAHOO.widget.MenuBarItem instances.  Previous to

                2.4.0 the following CSS class names were applied only to the <A> element

                representing the text label for YAHOO.widget.MenuItem and

                YAHOO.widget.MenuBarItem instances:

                  - hashelptext

                  - checked

                  - hassubmenu

                  - selected

                  - disabled

                To provide more flexibility and facilitate easier styling of state, a set of

                new CSS class names have been created that are applied to both the root

                <LI> node and its child <A> node for YAHOO.widget.MenuItem and

                YAHOO.widget.MenuBarItem instances:

              - New YAHOO.widget.MenuItem CSS classes:

                  The following are applied to the <LI> element:

                  .yuimenuitem-hassubmenu

                  .yuimenuitem-checked

                  .yuimenuitem-selected

                  .yuimenuitem-disabled

                  .yuimenuitem-checked-selected

                  .yuimenuitem-checked-disabled

                  .yuimenuitem-hassubmenu-selected

                  .yuimenuitem-hassubmenu-disabled

                  The following are applied to the <A> element:

                  .yuimenuitemlabel-hassubmenu

                  .yuimenuitemlabel-checked

                  .yuimenuitemlabel-selected

                  .yuimenuitemlabel-disabled

                  .yuimenuitemlabel-checked-selected

                  .yuimenuitemlabel-checked-disabled

                  .yuimenuitemlabel-hassubmenu-selected

                  .yuimenuitemlabel-hassubmenu-disabled

                  New YAHOO.widget.MenuBarItem CSS classes:

                  The following are applied to the <LI> element:

                  .yuimenubaritem-hassubmenu

                  .yuimenubaritem-selected

                  .yuimenubaritem-disabled

                  .yuimenubaritem-hassubmenu-selected

                  .yuimenubaritem-hassubmenu-disabled

                  The following are applied to the <A> element:

                  .yuimenubaritemlabel-hassubmenu

                  .yuimenubaritemlabel-selected

                  .yuimenubaritemlabel-disabled

                  .yuimenubaritemlabel-hassubmenu-selected

                  .yuimenubaritemlabel-hassubmenu-disabled

              - Deprecated the YAHOO.widget.ContextMenuItem class and replaced it

                with YAHOO.widget.MenuItem.

              - All submenus of a YAHOO.widget.ContextMenu instance are now of type

                YAHOO.widget.Menu.

              - Updated the behavior of the "clicktohide" configuration property of

                YAHOO.widget.Menu so that it behaves as documented: controls whether or not

                clicking outside a menu results in the menu hiding.

              • Bug Fixes

              - The "context" property of YAHOO.widget.Menu works better in IE 6.

            • Fernando Santos
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                Thank you! Great work!
                One question: When i try to access the online samples of Chats component (any sample) , i get the error: "Unable to load Flash content." (Using Fx 2.0.0.11 in Fedora)
                One suggestion: Can you release a repository of samples so the community can contribute with different samples for the YUI components?
                That will be nice!
                Thank you again and sorry the bad english :)
                Fernando Santos

                georgiann puckett wrote:

[...]

                YUI Release 2

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Fernando,

                  This is my bad, again (seeing a pattern here?).

                  YUI Charts Control requires Flash Player 9.0.45 or later.  We have not made this at all clear on the examples or on the user's guide, for which I apologize.  We'll get that rectified.

                  In the meantime, do upgrade your Flash Player (from http://adobe.com) and let us know what you think!

                  georgiann puckett wrote:

[...]

                • Corey Kaye
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                    HI !

                    I have a panel but maybe it should be an overlay and i want it to float
                    on the screen and not scroll off. I've searched the API but can't find
                    the specific event listener that would let me update it's xy.

                    Thanks.
                    CK
                  • Satyen Desai
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                      Hey Corey,

                      Sounds like "constraintoviewport" is what you're looking for.

                      Does it not do what you need?

                      See:
                      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.Overlay.html#constraint
                      oviewport

                      Panel is a subclass of Overlay, so it inherits support for the
                      "constraintoviewport" configuration property.

                      Here's a Panel example which uses it:
                      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/panel.html

                      Let us know if that doesn't help,
                      Satyen

                      p.s. If you want to listen for changes in position, listen for the
                      beforeMove and move events.
                    • Corey Kaye
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                        Hi Satyen !

                        Yes, i'm using constrainToViewPort and i like how it keeps it constrained inside the window but what i'm talking about is when the user scrolls the window down the panel scrolls too and will scroll right off the screen.  I'd like to keep the panel on screen at all times and have it float down (or up) as the window is moved.

                        Thanks,
                        CK

                      • Satyen Desai
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 4, 2007
                          Ah I see. Missed the scroll part.

                          So, as currently implemented constraintoviewport is only enforced when
                          the xy position of the Overlay/Panel is set/changed (unlike
                          fixedcenter which actively listens for window scroll and resize).

                          However Overlay exposes events related to viewport changes (at the
                          class level) which fixedcenter uses.

                          http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.Overlay.html#YAHOO.widget.Overlay.windowScrollEvent
                          http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.Overlay.html#YAHOO.widget.Overlay.windowResizeEvent

                          You can build a solution using these. Here's an example using the
                          windowScroll event to get the effect you need:

                          http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v231/examples/container/constrainOnScroll.html

                          The example uses 2.3.1, but works for 2.4.0 also, if you've already
                          upgraded.

                          Regards,
                          Satyen
                        • zmische
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
                            Base.css
                            * Added color:#000 for legend element, accomodation for IE

                            I didnt find any css for Legend element in this CSS file at all? Is
                            it bug?
                          • Fernando Santos
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
                              Thank you, Eric.
                              I upgrade my Flash Player and now i can see the samples :) Very beautiful!
                              Another dummy question: Can i change the background-color of SWF or its only white?
                              Thank you again

                              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _______

                              georgiann puckett wrote:

[...]

                              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                            • Eric Miraglia
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 5, 2007
                                Fernando,

                                I recommend reading through the full User's Guide for information about how you can style the charts -- Josh has done a great job there of laying out all the styling levers you have.

                                Specifically, I think the basic styling section is where he talks about background color:

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
                                  YUI Release 2
                                  Yesterday I changed the references to the YUI components from 2.3.1 to 2.4.0 in all my applications.  Everything works just as it did before.  I wasn't using the YUI Loader so that change didn't affect me, but that was an intentional change and a good one.  As for the rest, it all works fine.

                                  It has been a full day.  Has there been any mails on issues specific to this release, things that broke on changing?  Not many, if any, that I recall.

                                  That is what I call a good job!  These guys are great!

                                  Satyam

                                • Brendan Vogt
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007

                                    What editor did you use?

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 6, 2007
                                      You mean to compose the message?  Outlook Express.  I was surprised my message got all that silly code into it.  I usually use plain text but since I meant to follow the thread from the announcement, I replied to the original message in rich text format.  I guess that's what got it confused, I hope it dodn't break anything in any other client.

                                      As if I use YUI's RTE editor, for reasons that are not related to YUI I had to switch to Google Docs because some colaborative editing was needed (revision control)  and also importing and exporting from various formats and there was some inhouse experience on that with GDocs so that's my RTE editor right now.  Are there issues there?

                                      Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:40 PM

                                      What editor did you use?

                                      Yesterday I changed the references to the YUI components from 2.3.1 to 2.4.0 in all my applications.  Everything works just as it did before.  I wasn't using the YUI Loader so that change didn't affect me, but that was an intentional change and a good one.  As for the rest, it all works fine.

                                      It has been a full day.  Has there been any mails on issues specific to this release, things that broke on changing?  Not many, if any, that I recall.

                                      That is what I call a good job!  These guys are great!

                                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                    • parallel_galaxy
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 20, 2007
                                        <gpuckett@...> wrote:

                                        > The YUI team has posted a new release today. YUI 2.4.0
                                        > <http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/12/04/yuii-240/> is now available for
                                        > download <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/download/>.
                                        >
                                        > The 2.4.0 release adds 5 new components to the YUI Library:
                                        >
                                        > . *Charts: *a hybrid JavaScript/Flash component that supports rendering
                                        > of bar, line, or pie charts based on data obtained through the
                                        > DataSource Utility.
                                        > . *Selector Utility: * a CSS query engine that implements much of the
                                        > CSS Selector syntax as defined by the W3C including the proposed CSS3
                                        > Selector extensions.
                                        > . *JSON Utility:* A JSON parse and stringify utility based on Douglas
                                        > Crockford's public-domain implementation.
                                        > . *Get Utility:* provides the capability to dynamically add script
                                        nodes
                                        > and CSS link nodes to a page, load JavaScript and CSS on an as-needed
                                        > basis, and execute proxyless web-services calls when retrieving JSON
                                        data.
                                        > . *Profiler: *a utility that profiles specified code providing
                                        > programmatic retrieval of the profiling data while the application is
                                        > running.
                                        >
                                        > In addition to these new components, there are many enhancements and
                                        bug
                                        > fixes included in a number of the existing library components. Please
                                        > refer to the README files included with the components that you use in
                                        > your development for the full details of the changes and bug fixes that
                                        > were made, or to the README digest attached for a summary of all of the
                                        > 2.4.0 changes. You will also find updated documentation
                                        corresponding to
                                        > the new release on the YUI Website. <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/>
                                        >
                                        > As we provide this update, we would also like to thank all of
                                        members of
                                        > the YUI community for the bug reports, patches, and feature requests
                                        > that have been submitted to the YUI tracker components in Source Forge.
                                        > The attached list summarizes all of the entries that have been resolved
                                        > in the YUI 2.4.0 release. We greatly appreciate your participation in
                                        > the continued enhancement of YUI and look forward to receiving your
                                        > feedback as you integrate the new release into your products,
                                        > YDN-javascript@yahoogroups.com continues to be the preferred forum for
                                        > general comments and questions. If you find a bug, please log the
                                        > details and provide sample code in the YUI bug tracker on Source Forge
                                        > <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/reportingbugs/>.
                                        >
                                        > Best regards,
                                        > george puckett
                                        > on behalf of the YUI development team: Adam Moore, Dav Glass, Eric
                                        > Miraglia, Jenny Han Donnelly, Luke Smith, Matt Sweeney, Nate Koechley,
                                        > Satyen Desai, Thomas Sha, and Todd Kloots; and contributers: Josh
                                        > Tynjala, Matt Mlinac, and Nicholas Zakas

                                        Regarding Browser History Manager. In the release notes, it says that
                                        IE had a tendency to "forget" part or all of the history when
                                        returning to a page and that new markup fixes that issue. However,
                                        it's still happening for me. Any suggestions on how to go about it?

                                        Thank you.
                                        ~Katya
                                      • Eric Miraglia
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 21, 2007
                                          Katya,

                                          If the new markup isn't solving the issue for you as we'd expected, please provide as concise a repro case as you can and file a bug in SourceForge -- we'd certainly be interested in looking into that.