Re: [ydn-javascript] Drill Down Functionality in Datatable

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2007
      There has been a couple of ways to do this suggested on this list about two
      months ago, I don't remember any particular keyword for that thread or who
      was on it, sorry. They involved directly handling the HTML table and using
      the DOM to create a row underneath the current row with a single cell
      spanning the whole row and with the detail table inside, which gave you the
      complete freedom over the layout of the contained table, the other added
      many rows of information because it wanted to keep the columns alignment.

      And there was this example:

      http://extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples/tree/column-tree.html

      These are all somewhat volatile since the DataTable is unaware that the
      table has been tampered with and will wipe out any extra rows on anything
      that refreshes the table, such as a column sort.

      The way I did something similar in an application of mine was to use a
      floating panel which I show aligned to the bottom of the selected row and I
      put the extra information there. Actually, I have a tabview in it and in
      three of the four tabs I have other DataTables with information related to
      the main row. All the data for those tables is retrieved when they become
      visible so if a particular tab for a detail information is never clicked,
      the data is not transferred. I have only one popup active at a time, the
      application doesn't need more than one, so it is the same one used over and
      over again. I didn't turn it into a class that can have instances, but it
      certainly can be done so that you can pop up and compare two or more rows
      and if you enable dragging of the containing panel, they can be moved around
      with ease.