Re: [ydn-javascript] DataSource Using URL w/ Query Parameters

  • Randall R Schulz
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
      On Monday 03 December 2007 00:53, Satyam wrote:
      > ... Besides,
      > if you use POST requests, having the URL split like this will put the
      > arguments in the post data. Nevertheless, I'm surprised that you
      > won't get the arguments on the server side. Where you looking for
      > them along the post data? They wouldn't be there even if you set the
      > connection to post because you explicitly placed them in the query
      > string.

      While I try to sort out the problems Grails seems to be having with POST
      requests, at least some of them, is there a way to get DataTable /
      DataSource to use a GET to retrieve its data? I wasn't able to find
      anything that suggests I can control this (but using such a common word
      as "GET" in a web search tends to confound things).

      Alos, GET seems much more appropriate for a pure information retrieval
      operation, which surely characterizes any request whose purpose is to
      populate a client-side data structure or display. Why do DataSource /
      DataTable use POST?

      > Satyam

      Randall Schulz
    • Randall R Schulz
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
        On Monday 03 December 2007 09:27, Randall R Schulz wrote:

        > While I try to sort out the problems Grails seems to be having with
        > POST requests, at least some of them, is there a way to get DataTable
        > / DataSource to use a GET to retrieve its data? I wasn't able to find
        > anything that suggests I can control this (but using such a common
        > word as "GET" in a web search tends to confound things).

        Welcome (me) to the world of open source development (on the bleeding
        edge). It _was_ a Grails problem and the fix went into the snapshot
        builds earlier this morning.

        > Also, GET seems much more appropriate for a pure information
        > retrieval operation, which surely characterizes any request whose
        > purpose is to populate a client-side data structure or display. Why
        > do DataSource / DataTable use POST?

        I'd still like to know if GET is an option. I found one Nabble entry
        where a person was asking if he could use POST instead of GET, which
        suggests it is, or at least was, possible. But I still haven't found
        any details on how to control which HTTP request method is used by
        DataSource and / or DataTable.

        Randall Schulz
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
            On Monday 03 December 2007 10:11, Satyam wrote:
> [...]

            Grails unifies the decoding of request parameters without regard to
            whether it's GET, PUT, POST or DELETE and presents all parameters to
            the handler code as a simple map (a.k.a. hash). This includes
            multipart/form data and file uploads, too.

            Anyway, the real problem was a Grails bug (already found and fixed, as
            of this morning).

            But at the risk of repeating myself, I would like to know how to select
            which HTTP request method is used, if that's possible. POST might not
            always be a good choice.

            Randall Schulz
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2007
                On Monday 03 December 2007 10:34, Satyam wrote:
> [...]

                Thanks. Of course, it was staring me in the face all along. I don't know
                why I couldn't find it.

                > Satyam

                Randall Schulz