Re: [ydn-javascript] DataTable with Varying Types in a Given Column?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
      There is no such component in YUI, I just used the term to differentiate a
      DataTable, which exists, from what you want, which does not. Sorry about
      the confusion.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2007
        On Sunday 02 December 2007 13:57, Satyam wrote:
        > The DataTable is basically meant to be the visual representation of a
        > database table with its normal columns and records.

        OK. So my use case is a bit at odds with this, but it's not so far off
        that I don't think it can be made to work, give what you say below.

        > You could define a generic formatter and editor for all of the
        > columns which might branch of to the different cell formatters and
        > editors depending on the column and the record. ...
        >
        > Like:
        >
        > myColumnDefs = [
        > {key:'col1',formatter:this.myFormatterDispatcher,
        > editor:this.myEditorDispatcher, ...
        >
        > Both your dispatchers would have to have the argument signature of
        > the regular formatter and editor:
        >
        > this.myFormatterDispatcher = function(elCell, oRecord, oColumn,oData)
        > this.myEditorDispatcher = function(oEditor, oSelf)
        >
        > Both have information both from the column and all the fields in the
        > record, both visible and hidden, and can call the corresponding
        > method passing it the very same arguments it has received.

        I think this should be a workable technique for my purposes. I'll give
        it a try.

        > Satyam

        Thank you.

        Randall Schulz
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
          You might want to check:

          http://satyam.com.ar/int/yui/DataGrid.html

          I can't say if this is what you are looking for but at least it breaks the
          rule of one datatype per column.

          > On Sunday 02 December 2007 13:57, Satyam wrote:
          >> The DataTable is basically meant to be the visual representation of a
          >> database table with its normal columns and records.
          >
          > OK. So my use case is a bit at odds with this, but it's not so far off
          > that I don't think it can be made to work, give what you say below.

          >> You could define a generic formatter and editor for all of the
          >> columns which might branch of to the different cell formatters and
          >> editors depending on the column and the record. ...
          >>
          >> Like:
          >>
          >> myColumnDefs = [
          >> {key:'col1',formatter:this.myFormatterDispatcher,
          >> editor:this.myEditorDispatcher, ...
          >>
          >> Both your dispatchers would have to have the argument signature of
          >> the regular formatter and editor:
          >>
          >> this.myFormatterDispatcher = function(elCell, oRecord, oColumn,oData)
          >> this.myEditorDispatcher = function(oEditor, oSelf)
          >>
          >> Both have information both from the column and all the fields in the
          >> record, both visible and hidden, and can call the corresponding
          >> method passing it the very same arguments it has received.
          >
          > I think this should be a workable technique for my purposes. I'll give
          > it a try.
          >

          >> Satyam
          >

          > Thank you.
          >
          > Randall Schulz
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --
          > 02/12/2007 20:34

        • Randall R Schulz
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
            On Tuesday 04 December 2007 07:13, Satyam wrote:
            > You might want to check:
            >
            > http://satyam.com.ar/int/yui/DataGrid.html
            >
            > I can't say if this is what you are looking for but at least it
            > breaks the rule of one datatype per column.

            Thanks again.

            Between this and your previous reply, I think I've got all the
            information I need to get the results I want.

            > Satyam

            Randall Schulz
          • Randall R Schulz
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
              On Tuesday 04 December 2007 07:13, Satyam wrote:
              > You might want to check:
              >
              > http://satyam.com.ar/int/yui/DataGrid.html
              >
              > I can't say if this is what you are looking for but at least it
              > breaks the rule of one datatype per column.

              I do have one follow-up question (so far). When I apply the pattern I
              see in your DataGrid example (which includes only text and Calendar
              input):

              YAHOO.widget.DataTable.editTextbox.call(oSelf, oEditor, oSelf);

              ... to radio buttons:

              YAHOO.widget.DataTable.editRadio.call(oSelf, oEditor, oSelf);

              ... I end up with a radio-button editor that has only "OK" and "Cancel"
              buttons.

              What must be done to control / populate the list of radio-button
              alternatives presented when activating the radio-button editor?

              > Satyam

              Randall Schulz
            • Randall R Schulz
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2007
                On Tuesday 04 December 2007 16:19, Randall R Schulz wrote:
                > On Tuesday 04 December 2007 07:13, Satyam wrote:
                > > You might want to check:
                > >
                > > http://satyam.com.ar/int/yui/DataGrid.html
                > >
                > > I can't say if this is what you are looking for but at least it
                > > breaks the rule of one datatype per column.
                >
                > I do have one follow-up question (so far). When I apply the pattern I
                > see in your DataGrid example (which includes only text and Calendar
                > input) ... to radio buttons ... I end up with a radio-button editor
                > that has only "OK" and "Cancel" buttons.
                >
                > What must be done to control / populate the list of radio-button
                > alternatives presented when activating the radio-button editor?

                I think I figured it out. I added this:

                editorOptions: { radioOptions:["yes", "no"] }

                to the column definition object literal for the editable value column.

                This is sufficient because all the radio buttons in the column have the
                same complement of allowable values ("yes" or "no", obviously) and the
                radioOptions array does not interfere with other editors when they're
                activated for that column.

                What would I have to do to have different sets of values on some rows?

                Randall Schulz
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
                  I added radio buttons to the example, see the bottom right cell. Now it is
                  located at:

                  http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/DataGrid.html

                  Notice that the formatRadio and the editRadio methods don't work with each
                  other. The formatRadio is meant to have one radio selected out of the whole
                  column, the editRadio expects you to select amongst several radios on the
                  same cell. The naming is quite confusing. Same thing with Checkboxes.

                  > On Tuesday 04 December 2007 07:13, Satyam wrote:
                  >> You might want to check:
                  >>
                  >> http://satyam.com.ar/int/yui/DataGrid.html
                  >>
                  >> I can't say if this is what you are looking for but at least it
                  >> breaks the rule of one datatype per column.
                  >
                  > I do have one follow-up question (so far). When I apply the pattern I
                  > see in your DataGrid example (which includes only text and Calendar
                  > input):
                  >
                  > YAHOO.widget.DataTable.editTextbox.call(oSelf, oEditor, oSelf);
                  >
                  > ... to radio buttons:
                  >
                  > YAHOO.widget.DataTable.editRadio.call(oSelf, oEditor, oSelf);
                  >
                  > ... I end up with a radio-button editor that has only "OK" and "Cancel"
                  > buttons.
                  >
                  > What must be done to control / populate the list of radio-button
                  > alternatives presented when activating the radio-button editor?
                  >

                  >> Satyam
                  >

                  > Randall Schulz
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  > --
                  > 04/12/2007 19:31

                • Randall R Schulz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
                    On Wednesday 05 December 2007 01:19, Satyam wrote:
                    > I added radio buttons to the example, see the bottom right cell. Now
                    > it is located at:
                    >
                    > http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/DataGrid.html
                    >

                    > Notice that the formatRadio and the editRadio methods don't work with
                    > each other. The formatRadio is meant to have one radio selected out
                    > of the whole column, the editRadio expects you to select amongst
                    > several radios on the same cell. The naming is quite confusing.
                    > Same thing with Checkboxes.
                    >

                    > Satyam

                    Thank you again. It's very kind of you to take so much time with this.

                    I think I've got the basic level of functionality I require right now.

                    Randall Schulz
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 5, 2007
                      No problem at all, I was thinking about this issue some time ago so you gave
                      me the excuse to try it out.