YUI Connection Manager - Setting response encoding

  • sveinaregronsund
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007
      I am using YUI Connection Manager to populate a part of the page
      (replacing innerHTML). But the chunk of data I send as response is a
      JSP-page (meaning a html-snippet).

      I use Norwegian characters here and I need/want to specify "text/
      html; charset=ISO-8859-1" as Content-Type. But how do I specify that?

      I use Struts as the serverside framework, and when I return full
      pages, I include <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
      charset=ISO-8859-1"/> in the header, but how do I do this when only
      returning a chunk of html?
    • lou_tribal
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2007
        I do not know exactly how you return your HTML chunk but there are
        many places where to specify the encoding:

        1. <meta...> is the HTML tag and is here to specify the browser that
        the page is in this encoding.

        2. <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" %> is the JSP
        tag specifying the JSP encoding.

        3. response.setCharacterEncoding("myEncoding") is there to specify the
        encoding of the http response if you directly write to it.

        I would encourage you to work in UTF-8 from end to end and you won't
        have to deal with that kind of problem and will be able to support any
        other kind of language if needed one day.

        <

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "sveinaregronsund"