Re: Hosting YUI libs on Yahoo!'s servers vs our own server

  • Michael Hasenstein
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2007
      Great, your thinking of YOUR advantages.

      How about your user's advantages?

      If all YUI-sites would use Yahoo-hosting, the libraries - and that's
      ca. 300k! - would all be in their cache already. Even with DSL the
      initial first-load time of a YUI homepage is significant. With this
      advantage you also don't care about unused pieces of JS code - or do
      you strip the DLLs or libc of your Windows or Linux of unused
      functions as well? By stripping you save some space to gain faster
      load times - which you'd get for free if you (granted: and most
      others) used Yahoo-hosting.

      The argument somebody else brought up that Yahoo could go broke is
      silly - not because that can't ever happen, but because why would that
      prevent you from switching your HTML to use a local copy on your own
      server within minutes (unless your HTML is a total mess of course and
      you don't know how to use perl/awk/sed etc. to automate the process)?

      The point of Yahoo-serving is it only works if a majority of YUI-sites
      do it. It would be nice if Yahoo would show some statistics so that
      people like you could be convinced (or not).

      Michael

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "someguynameddylan"