Re: Problem with using a loop to addRenderer on CalendarGroup

  • Satyen Desai
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2007
      > My concern is that, instead of having eight custom renderers added on
      > specific dates, I've now attached custom renderers to every date just
      > to catch those eight cases across the ~90 days which will be rendered
      > on the calendar. Is that really better? (Eight is just the number of
      > dates in the example, of course, but I wouldn't expect to ever have
      > more than twenty or so in the final version.)
      >
      > Rob

      Hi Rob, generally speaking your assessment would be correct.

      However, the way Calendar is currently implementated, for each date it
      renders, it iterates through all the attached custom renderers,
      looking for applicable renderers. Hence reducing the number of
      renderers tends to help.

      Here's an older thread which touches on the subject also with some
      numbers:

      Ideally we'd like to key the renderers against the dates to which they
      apply, making rendering performance independent of the total number of
      renderers added (somewhat similiar to the approach the above example
      or your week renderer solution takes). This is something we have on
      our list of enhancements/fixes.

      Regards,
      Satyen

      p.s. I sent a similar response yesterday, but it seems to have gotten
      lost. So you may see both responses.