Using Datasource for non-table data?

  • frank.ekern
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2007
      Hi

      Is it possible to use the Datasource class for non table data?
      I am aware that the documentation and featureset for Datasource
      probably will be extended in the future. Currently it seems to be
      designed to be used with the Datatable.

      Simple usage
      I have a webpage with a few status fields as well as a list of items
      in a Datatable. The data is in XML and is conceptually similar to the
      following:
      <measurements city="Oslo" location="Holmenkollen">
      <measurement time="12.00" temperature="12" humidity="67" />
      <measurement time="11.00" temperature="10" humidity="69" />
      <measurement time="10.00" temperature="9" humidity="75" />
      <measurement time="09.00" temperature="6" humidity="80" />
      </measurements>

      I want to be able to easily obtain the additional information
      (city/location) as well as the list data by using Datasource. Can this
      be done by using the correct oConfigs object (which have have not
      found any documentation for) which parses both the list and the
      additional data into an object structure, or do I have to hack this
      manually using either doBeforeParseData or doBeforeCallback?

      Complex usage:
      Our web application is also using treeview to present data to the
      user. Can datasource be used for parsing data in a treestructure as well?
      For instance:
      <sites>
      <country name="Norway">
      <city name="Oslo">
      <location name="Holmenkollen">
      <location name="Grefsen>
      </city>
      <city name="Trondheim">
      <location name="NTH">
      </city>
      </country>
      <country name="Denmark">
      <city name="Copenhagen">
      <location name="Tivoli">
      </city>
      </country>
      </sites>

      BR
      --
      Frank Ekern
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2007
        The DataSource component can be used separately, instead of passing it to
        the DataTable component, you would call the sendRequest method after you do
        the setup of the DataSource as you would normally do for the DataTable.

        Nevertheless, the DataSource is mostly meant to return a flat array, not a
        hierarchical structure as you have. This means that you would have to catch
        events or redefine overridable methods to pick the extra data. Your program
        would become quite convoluted, not a good thing.

        The plain Connection Manager returns you the responseXML object with all the
        DOM methods to travel through it. In the end, it might be easier to just
        use that.