TreeView Dynamic Loading

  • alexholt321
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2006
      I could just be an idiot... but i'm trying to set up a TreeView object to dynamically load data
      through an AJAX connection.

      Basically my problem is... when my callBack fires to handle the loaded data and I create new
      TextNodes for my tree... it doesn't actually render the new Nodes into the tree.

      The only way I've successfully had these nodes render themselves is by calling tree.draw()
      after i've added them... yet if i call tree.draw() again it calls the dynamicLoad function again...
      causing my AJAX request to fire again... which draws my TextNodes again... and again... and
      again.

      Is there some way to just draw a particular branch of the TreeView object? rather than calling
      the TreeView.draw() method?

      Otherwise.. .could someone post their working dynamically loading treeview... so i can hack it
      up ;)

      I'm a little lost... help me! =)
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2006
        Alex,

        Generally, the symptom your describing is an indication that TreeView doesn't know you've completed loading the your child nodes.  You function for loading data and drawing nodes should conclude by firing a callback to let TreeView know that it should rerender the expanded node.  TreeView's callback comes in as the second argument to your data-loading function.

        function loadNodeData(node, fnLoadComplete) {
        //Load data; create child nodes here
        fnLoadComplete();

        Eric

        On Feb 20, 2006, at 8:42 PM, alexholt321 wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Cian Quinlan
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2006

          > Alex,
          >
          > Generally, the symptom your describing is an indication that TreeView
          > doesn't know you've completed loading the your child nodes. You
          > function for loading data and drawing nodes should conclude by firing
          > a callback to let TreeView know that it should rerender the expanded
          > node. TreeView's callback comes in as the second argument to your
          > data-loading function.
          >
          > function loadNodeData(node, fnLoadComplete) {
          > //Load data; create child nodes here
          > fnLoadComplete();
          > }
          >
          > Regards,
          > Eric
          >

          > On Feb 20, 2006, at 8:42 PM, alexholt321 wrote:
          >
          > > I could just be an idiot... but i'm trying to set up a TreeView
          > > object to dynamically load data
          > > through an AJAX connection.
          > >
          > > Basically my problem is... when my callBack fires to handle the
          > > loaded data and I create new
          > > TextNodes for my tree... it doesn't actually render the new Nodes
          > > into the tree.
          > >
          > > The only way I've successfully had these nodes render themselves is
          > > by calling tree.draw()
          > > after i've added them... yet if i call tree.draw() again it calls
          > > the dynamicLoad function again...
          > > causing my AJAX request to fire again... which draws my TextNodes
          > > again... and again... and
          > > again.
          > >
          > > Is there some way to just draw a particular branch of the TreeView
          > > object? rather than calling
          > > the TreeView.draw() method?
          > >
          > > Otherwise.. .could someone post their working dynamically loading
          > > treeview... so i can hack it
          > > up ;)
          > >
          > > I'm a little lost... help me! =)
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Are you able to dynamically add and remove modes and have them display
          when the parent is expanded?

          I am having the same problem described in message 672 "Treeview add
          nodes in runtime." When I add a node, parent nodes will no longer
          display their children when expanded.

          This is a showstopper for me and I find it hard to believe that the
          ability to dynamically add and display nodes is not supported by this
          library. Disappointing if true.
        • dprusak@pacbell.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 27, 2006
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Cian Quinlan"
            <Cian.Quinlan@...> wrote:

            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@>
            wrote:

            > > Alex,
            > >
            > > Generally, the symptom your describing is an indication that
            TreeView
            > > doesn't know you've completed loading the your child nodes.
            You
            > > function for loading data and drawing nodes should conclude by
            firing
            > > a callback to let TreeView know that it should rerender the
            expanded
            > > node. TreeView's callback comes in as the second argument to
            your
            > > data-loading function.
            > >
            > > function loadNodeData(node, fnLoadComplete) {
            > > //Load data; create child nodes here
            > > fnLoadComplete();
            > > }
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Eric
            > >

            > > On Feb 20, 2006, at 8:42 PM, alexholt321 wrote:
            > >
            > > > I could just be an idiot... but i'm trying to set up a
            TreeView
            > > > object to dynamically load data
            > > > through an AJAX connection.
            > > >
            > > > Basically my problem is... when my callBack fires to handle
            the
            > > > loaded data and I create new
            > > > TextNodes for my tree... it doesn't actually render the new
            Nodes
            > > > into the tree.
            > > >
            > > > The only way I've successfully had these nodes render
            themselves is
            > > > by calling tree.draw()
            > > > after i've added them... yet if i call tree.draw() again it
            calls
            > > > the dynamicLoad function again...
            > > > causing my AJAX request to fire again... which draws my
            TextNodes
            > > > again... and again... and
            > > > again.
            > > >
            > > > Is there some way to just draw a particular branch of the
            TreeView
            > > > object? rather than calling
            > > > the TreeView.draw() method?
            > > >
            > > > Otherwise.. .could someone post their working dynamically
            > > > treeview... so i can hack it
            > > > up ;)
            > > >
            > > > I'm a little lost... help me! =)
            > > >

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >

            > Are you able to dynamically add and remove modes and have them
            display
            > when the parent is expanded?
            >
            > I am having the same problem described in message 672 "Treeview add
            > nodes in runtime." When I add a node, parent nodes will no longer
            > display their children when expanded.
            >
            > This is a showstopper for me and I find it hard to believe that the
            > ability to dynamically add and display nodes is not supported by
            this
            > library. Disappointing if true.

            Well, the current code is 0.9. Which means it's not 1.0 yet. I
            believe the next release will have this fixed. I don't know Yahoo's
            schedule on releases.

            --David