Dynamically adding groups and submenus to a menu

  • platformconnolly
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2007
      Can anyone tell me how to dynamically add, and remove, groups and
      submenus to a context menu? I seem to be able to add items (one at a
      time and in multiples), but have not been able to figure out how to
      add groups or submenus.

      Is it possible to simply set the itemdata property with an appropriate
      array that represents the desired new menu structure? That would be
      ideal for my purposes, but I can't seem to make that work.

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • platformconnolly
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
        I've been working away on this since my original message and haven't
        made any progress. Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers to
        resources?

        Mark

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "platformconnolly"
        <connolly@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me how to dynamically add, and remove, groups and
        > submenus to a context menu? I seem to be able to add items (one at a
        > time and in multiples), but have not been able to figure out how to
        > add groups or submenus.
        >
        > Is it possible to simply set the itemdata property with an appropriate
        > array that represents the desired new menu structure? That would be
        > ideal for my purposes, but I can't seem to make that work.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Mark

      • Todd Kloots
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2007
          Mark -

          You can add a submenu to any item on the fly via use of the "submenu"
          configuration property. Several of the Menu examples add submenus
          dynamically, for example:

          http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/leftnavfromjs.html
          http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfromjs.html

          To remove a submenu from an item, simply call the submenu's "destroy"
          method. For example:

          oMenu.getItem(0).cfg.getProperty("submenu").destroy();

          You can add groups on the fly by specifying a group number when calling
          the addItem, addItems, or insertItem methods. For example:

          var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.Menu("test");

          oMenu.addItem("test");

          oMenu.addItems(["one", "two", "three"], 1);

          oMenu.render(document.body);

          oMenu.show();

          - Todd