Re: [ydn-javascript] Getting started [with YUI] from scratch, really

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2007
      From: "Owen Leonard" <owen_b_leonard@...>
      To: <ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [ydn-javascript] Getting started [with YUI] from scratch,
      really

      >>> I find that the Yahoo documentation for YUI makes a lot of
      >
      > >> assumptions, without giving a good basis for understanding the
      >
      > >> examples. Maybe I'm not starting in the right place, I don't know.
      >

      >> Douglass Crockford videos on JavaScript are a very good start:
      >

      > Thanks, I'm familiar with JavaScript. I pretty good with DOM manipulation,
      > and I'm pretty good with jquery, but YUI really confounds me, and I find I
      > don't know where to start in understanding the way it works.
      >
      > -- Owen

      Then I don't understand your original question, you were wondering what
      "YAHOO.example.init = function () {" means. That might not be basic
      JavaScript but if you don't understand what that means, you have to see
      those videos.

      [... long answer deleted ...] ... while I was writing an explanation of
      that piece of code, Nick Fitzsimons email arrived pointing you to a blog
      article that is much better than what I could have said. Notice, though,
      that there are a few alternatives to the pattern presented there and the
      library and the sample code might use any of those alternatives which might
      be confusing at first, but it is basically all the same idea,

      So, I can only say, if you think you are familiar with JavaScript, watch
      those videos and be surprised.