2.3.0 -> 2.3.1 upgrade issue

  • cscheers
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm a big fan of YUI and I'm always pleasantly surprised how easy it
      is to upgrade to a new release. But when I upgraded from 2.3.0 to
      2.3.1, it broke my web application on IE.

      My application is a topology (network) map that shows nodes and links
      on a background map (bitmap). I use YUI drag/drop to move node icons,
      and also for right mouse menus and tooltips, but the links are drawn
      using the Dojo GFX vector graphics library. The GFX layer is
      basically a browser independent layer which uses native vector
      graphics VML on IE and SVG on Firefox. But the vector graphics
      (drawing the lines) on IE stopped working after installing YUI 2.3.1.

      After some investigation I found out that the `yahoo-dom-event.js' is
      the culprit. So now I'm running YUI 2.3.1, except for `yahoo-dom-
      event.js' , for which I use the 2.3.0 version. That works fine for
      now, but I'm worried about future upgrades.

      IE reports a script error in the following statement (which is in the
      Dojo code, but with YUI 2.3.0 it works fine):

      var doc=(evt.srcElement&&evt.srcElement.ownerDocument)?
      evt.srcElement.ownerDocument:document;

      One other note about the application is that the map is shown in an
      iframe. The parent document shows the map hierarchy in a tree on the
      left, and as the user clicks on a map, its background image is loaded
      and shown in an iframe, then the nodes and links are loaded using
      Ajax. Both the parent document and the iframe document use YUI, so
      the file 'yahoo-dom-event.js' is included in both the parent document
      and the iframe document.

      Anyone seen this issue ? I could provide more details if interested.

      Thanks,

      Chris
    • Adam Moore
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2007
        On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 04:18:28AM -0000, cscheers wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm a big fan of YUI and I'm always pleasantly surprised how easy it
        > is to upgrade to a new release. But when I upgraded from 2.3.0 to
        > 2.3.1, it broke my web application on IE.
        >
        > My application is a topology (network) map that shows nodes and links
        > on a background map (bitmap). I use YUI drag/drop to move node icons,
        > and also for right mouse menus and tooltips, but the links are drawn
        > using the Dojo GFX vector graphics library. The GFX layer is
        > basically a browser independent layer which uses native vector
        > graphics VML on IE and SVG on Firefox. But the vector graphics
        > (drawing the lines) on IE stopped working after installing YUI 2.3.1.
        >
        > After some investigation I found out that the `yahoo-dom-event.js' is
        > the culprit. So now I'm running YUI 2.3.1, except for `yahoo-dom-
        > event.js' , for which I use the 2.3.0 version. That works fine for
        > now, but I'm worried about future upgrades.

        Not very much changed in these three utilities between 2.3.0 and 2.3.1,
        and nothing that did change jumps out as something that could break your
        implementation. There really isn't any way to know what is going on
        without either getting access the app so I can see the exception for
        myself, or getting a lot more information from you. The first thing I'd
        need is a backtrace of the exception with the individual yahoo, dom,
        event (not minified) files loaded instead of yahoo-dom-event.js. This
        way at least I'd know what pieces of YUI you are hitting.

        -Adam
      • ishafe
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2007
          I'm getting a script error with the following very simple HTML. I'm
          using IE6.

          <head>
          <title>YUI</title>
          <script type="text/javascript"
          src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.1/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-
          event.js"></script>
          </head>

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Adam Moore <adamoore@...>
          wrote:

          > On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 04:18:28AM -0000, cscheers wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I'm a big fan of YUI and I'm always pleasantly surprised how
          easy it
          > > is to upgrade to a new release. But when I upgraded from 2.3.0
          > > 2.3.1, it broke my web application on IE.
          > >
          > > My application is a topology (network) map that shows nodes and
          links
          > > on a background map (bitmap). I use YUI drag/drop to move node
          icons,
          > > and also for right mouse menus and tooltips, but the links are
          drawn
          > > using the Dojo GFX vector graphics library. The GFX layer is
          > > basically a browser independent layer which uses native vector
          > > graphics VML on IE and SVG on Firefox. But the vector graphics
          > > (drawing the lines) on IE stopped working after installing YUI
          2.3.1.

          > > After some investigation I found out that the `yahoo-dom-
          event.js' is
          > > the culprit. So now I'm running YUI 2.3.1, except for `yahoo-dom-
          > > event.js' , for which I use the 2.3.0 version. That works fine
          for
          > > now, but I'm worried about future upgrades.
          >
          > Not very much changed in these three utilities between 2.3.0 and
          2.3.1,
          > and nothing that did change jumps out as something that could
          break your
          > implementation. There really isn't any way to know what is going
          on
          > without either getting access the app so I can see the exception
          for
          > myself, or getting a lot more information from you. The first
          thing I'd
          > need is a backtrace of the exception with the individual yahoo,
          dom,
          > event (not minified) files loaded instead of yahoo-dom-event.js.
          This
          > way at least I'd know what pieces of YUI you are hitting.
          >
          > -Adam

        • Adam Moore
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2007
            On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 10:50:09PM -0000, ishafe wrote:
            > I'm getting a script error with the following very simple HTML. I'm
            > using IE6.

            > <head>
            > <title>YUI</title>
            > <script type="text/javascript"
            > src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.1/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-
            > event.js"></script>
            > </head>

            You shouldn't be. What is the exact error message? What OS are you
            running, and what is the full version number of the browser (Help ->
            About Internet Explorer)?

            -Adam
          • cscheers
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2007
              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Adam Moore <adamoore@...> wrote:

              > On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 04:18:28AM -0000, cscheers wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I'm a big fan of YUI and I'm always pleasantly surprised how easy it
              > > is to upgrade to a new release. But when I upgraded from 2.3.0 to
              > > 2.3.1, it broke my web application on IE.
              > >
              > > My application is a topology (network) map that shows nodes and links
              > > on a background map (bitmap). I use YUI drag/drop to move node icons,
              > > and also for right mouse menus and tooltips, but the links are drawn
              > > using the Dojo GFX vector graphics library. The GFX layer is
              > > basically a browser independent layer which uses native vector
              > > graphics VML on IE and SVG on Firefox. But the vector graphics
              > > (drawing the lines) on IE stopped working after installing YUI 2.3.1.
              > >
              > > After some investigation I found out that the `yahoo-dom-event.js' is
              > > the culprit. So now I'm running YUI 2.3.1, except for `yahoo-dom-
              > > event.js' , for which I use the 2.3.0 version. That works fine for
              > > now, but I'm worried about future upgrades.
              >
              > Not very much changed in these three utilities between 2.3.0 and 2.3.1,
              > and nothing that did change jumps out as something that could break your
              > implementation. There really isn't any way to know what is going on
              > without either getting access the app so I can see the exception for
              > myself, or getting a lot more information from you. The first thing I'd
              > need is a backtrace of the exception with the individual yahoo, dom,
              > event (not minified) files loaded instead of yahoo-dom-event.js. This
              > way at least I'd know what pieces of YUI you are hitting.
              >
              > -Adam

              Hi Adam,

              By using the individual yahoo, dom, event files (either the -min or
              the -debug) I was able to narrow down the issue to the 'event' script.
              The application runs fine with version 2.3.1 of yahoo and dom, but as
              soon as I use version 2.3.1 of event-debug.js or event-min.js, it
              breaks. This is both on IE6 and IE7. It works fine on both with
              version 2.3.0 of that script. Whatever small change that went into
              version 2.3.1 of that script must have been relevant in this case.
              The stack trace when it fails is not in YUI code though, it is in the
              Dojo code. But the YUI event script must have done something to the
              document to make Dojo fail.

              In the Microsoft Script Editor, the stack trace has two entries. It
              fails in 'doc= ...':

              if(!evt.layerY){
              evt.layerY=evt.offsetY;
              }
              var
              doc=(evt.srcElement&&evt.srcElement.ownerDocument)?evt.srcElement.ownerDocument:document;
              var
              _51b=((dojo.render.html.ie55)||(doc["compatMode"]=="BackCompat"))?doc.body:doc.documentElement;
              if(!evt.pageX){

              The second entry indicates the call is coming from 'args.push(...'

              catch(e){
              evt=window.event;
              }
              if(evt){
              args.push(dojo.event.browser.fixEvent(evt,this));
              }
              }else{
              for(var x=0;x<arguments.length;x++){
              if((x==0)&&(_49c)&&(dojo.event.browser.isEvent(arguments[x]))){
              args.push(dojo.event.browser.fixEvent(arguments[x],this));
              }else{
              args.push(arguments[x]);
              }

              I don't know if this enough detail to figure out the problem, but
              thieapplication is not accessible on the web and it has many
              dependencies so I can't just send a few HTML files to reproduce the
              problem.

              I am located in the Bay Area though, so if you're local also, I could
              show it on my laptop.

              Thanks,

              Chris