TreeView Root Node Visibility

  • butterworth.rick
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
      The root node in a treeView can not be made visible, or so it seems.
      Does anyone know a way to change that, or why that is the case? For
      applications that need a visible root node, the obvious workarounds
      really don't look right. Root nodes are different.

      Thanks.

      \\rick_butterworth
    • Adam Moore
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007
        On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 03:06:57AM -0000, butterworth.rick wrote:
        > The root node in a treeView can not be made visible, or so it seems.
        > Does anyone know a way to change that, or why that is the case? For
        > applications that need a visible root node, the obvious workarounds
        > really don't look right. Root nodes are different.

        Rick, defining a single child of the internal root node is the normal
        approach to producing a 'visible' root node. It sounds like you are
        after a particular presentation for this that the TreeView control
        doesn't provide, though. What doesn't look right to you?

        -Adam
      • butterworth.rick
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007

          > On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 03:06:57AM -0000, butterworth.rick wrote:
          > > The root node in a treeView can not be made visible, or so it seems.
          > > Does anyone know a way to change that, or why that is the case? For
          > > applications that need a visible root node, the obvious workarounds
          > > really don't look right. Root nodes are different.
          >
          >--- Adam Moore <adamoore@...> wrote:
          > Rick, defining a single child of the internal root node is the normal
          > approach to producing a 'visible' root node. It sounds like you are
          > after a particular presentation for this that the TreeView control
          > doesn't provide, though. What doesn't look right to you?
          >
          > -Adam

          Adam,
          The root should have a different icon to the left of the text, and no
          +/- symbols (although they could be present if necessary, normally a
          click would expand/contract the root.) When I look at a YUI tree with
          a single depth 1 node, the dotted line extending above the + gives the
          impression we are using a workaround. It just doesn't look right.

          It may be that my expectations are at fault and that such precision is
          not the norm in web application development. I would hope that is not
          the case.

          Thanks for your reply and any other light you can shed on these fine
          grain details.

          \\rick