Re: [ydn-javascript] overriding onsubmit default behavior

  • gib
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
      This is a great question.  Is this a case where you may not want a Listener?  It seems like this behavior is correct... addListener appends rather than overrides, the default event handling is to post the form so that gets executed while the added event handler is waiting in the wings.  Anything after the form post wouldn't get called.  Maybe the preventDefault and stopEvent methods of YAHOO.util.Event would be helpful here.

      I guess you could always bind/add a listener to the previous event (button click maybe?) and let the flow continue into the form post or return false/stop that event...?

      On 6/2/06, Matt <mattsniderppl@...> wrote:
      i'm converting my site's DOM 1.0 style javascript, with dhtml calls as
      tag attributes, to the DOM 2.0 eventListener functions provided in the
      Yahoo javascript API. However, i can't figure out how to prevent my
      forms from submiting when trying to capture the onsubmit event. I used
      to add return false, but i don't see how that is done in the
      eventListener method.

      the add listener line, looks like this.

      YAHOO.util.Event.addListener("myform", "submit", eventCallback);

      the eventCallback funtion is not being trigger before the form is
      submitted.

      If someone could help me or steer me in the right direction of the
      solution, i would appreciate it.

      thanks,
      -matt

      C programming language Computer programming languages Java programming language
      The c programming language C programming language Concept of programming language

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Nige White
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
        gib wrote:

        > This is a great question. Is this a case where you may not want a
        > Listener? It seems like this behavior is correct... addListener
        > appends rather than overrides, the default event handling is to post
        > the form so that gets executed while the added event handler is
        > waiting in the wings. Anything after the form post wouldn't get
        > called. Maybe the preventDefault and stopEvent methods of
        > YAHOO.util.Event would be helpful here.

        An event listener on the form for the "submit" event which calls
        preventDefault() works for me.

        e-mail : hostmaster@...
      • matt snider
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2006
          You're right, if i use

          YAHOO.util.Event.preventDefault(e);

          in my callback function it stops the default behavior. stopEvent also works.

          -matt

          On 6/2/06, gib <gib.reimschussel@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Eric Miraglia