json general question

  • michael mccarron
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hey,
         I have a general question.  Is there a way to do a data dump into JSON then query the JSON data to retrieve all entries that have a certain date range for instance, say there is a date: 10/10/2007 type of field in each item??

      thanks if anyone can point me to some places to look.

      have a nice day!

      --
      Michael McCarron
      330-990-7406

      photo-blog: http://www.flickr.com/photos/autonomous019/
      "We The People": http://www.unity08.org
    • Henning Jödden
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
        Hi Michael,

        michael mccarron schrieb:
        > I have a general question. Is there a way to do a data dump into
        > JSON then query the JSON data to retrieve all entries that have a
        > certain date range for instance, say there is a date: 10/10/2007 type of
        > field in each item??

        Yes there is, but not in JSON itself. You have to use Javscript to do
        the filtering.

        JSON is not a "language" where you can query something (like XPath).
        It is just representation of data in a specified notation (javascript
        object notation).
        The structure of the data itself is not specified and the language used
        is always Javascript.
        For more info about JSON goto: http://www.json.org/

        kind regards
        Henning
      • druidarab
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007
          thanks for the reply. I have found something in my search for an
          answer that is close to what I was looking for, but it may be
          Persistent Javascript that is the thing in the future to use:

          http://ajaxian.com/archives/jsonpath-xpath-for-json-structures

          just released today:

          http://ajaxian.com/archives/persistent-objects-with-persevere-the-client-and-jsponic-the-server

          also there is a new article posted on parsing JSON using JQuery, i'll
          have to take a look at it too now:

          http://ajaxian.com/archives/ajaxian-featured-tutorial-parse-json-with-jquery-and-javascript

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Henning J�dden