Re: {Disarmed} [ydn-javascript] Javascript book?!

  • Marco Mariani
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
      juliusdietz ha scritto:

      > Anyway - because of all this I want to buy a book ;)
      > And in order for it to be just the right book for me I was hoping you
      > could point me in the right direction!

      JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
      by David Flanagan

      If there is something better out there, I'm not aware of it.
      Maybe there are complementary books, but it seems quite complete to me.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
        Have you checked Douglas Crockford videos at YUI theater?:

        http://video.yahoo.com/search/video?p=douglas+crockford

        Watch "The JavaScript Programming Language" first, it comes in four parts,
        and then watch the others (Advanced JS, DOM theory mainly)

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
          On 2 Oct 2007, at 15:23, juliusdietz wrote:

          > Anyway - because of all this I want to buy a book ;)
          > And in order for it to be just the right book for me I was hoping you
          > could point me in the right direction!
          >
          > It would be good if your recommendations took into account that I'm
          > using the YUI a lot :)

          Peter Paul Koch's book is worth a look:
          <http://www.amazon.com/ppk-JavaScript-1-e-VOICES/dp/0321423305/
          ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8986202-5617558?
          ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191337025&sr=8-1>

          and David Flanagan's book pretty much goes without saying:
          <http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Definitive-Guide-David-Flanagan/dp/
          0596101996/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8986202-5617558?
          ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191337100&sr=1-1>

          AFAIK there aren't yet any books that feature YUI in any great depth
          (partly because YUI is evolving at such a rapid pace that a book
          published now would already be quite out of date). As far as Dustin's
          forthcoming book is concerned, you can get a good idea of his style
          from his blog:
          <http://www.dustindiaz.com/>
          which includes a number of articles specifically concerning YUI - not
          surprising, as he used to work at Yahoo!

          HTH,

          Nick.
          --
          Nick Fitzsimons
          http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
            Thanks so far!
            Of course still looking forward to more recommendations :)

            Julius
          • Nathan Friedly
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
              There is a free online book called Eloquent Javascript that I wish I had read back when I was trying to learn JS: http://eloquentjavascript.net/

              On 10/2/07, juliusdietz <juliusdietz@...> wrote:

              Thanks so far!
              Of course still looking forward to more recommendations :)

              Julius

              --
              Nathan Friedly
              SOGWAP
              http://nfriedly.com
            • reybango
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                A more advanced one which I've found invaluable is "Pro JavaScript
                Techniques"

                http://www.amazon.com/Pro-JavaScript-Techniques-John-Resig/dp/1590597273/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a/102-1980320-5775316

                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "juliusdietz" <juliusdietz@...>
                wrote:

                > Thanks so far!
                > Of course still looking forward to more recommendations :)
                >
                > Julius

              • Ankit Gupta
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
                  You can try JavaScript: The Definitive Guide By David Flanagan. I am
                  reading it these days. It is pretty comprehensive still grounds up for
                  new learners like me.

                  Regards
                  Ankit