Javascript book?!

  • juliusdietz
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
      hello all!

      I use the YUI quite a bit but would say that my foundations in
      Javascript, scripting and especially object oriented (or based?)
      Javascript are rather basic and incomplete.

      I'm using the 'object literal' but basically mainly because the
      projects I work on had been started in this way already so even with
      that I have the feeling I don't know all the pros and cons and why
      this seems to be the way to go...

      Anyway - because of all this I want to buy a book ;)
      And in order for it to be just the right book for me I was hoping you
      could point me in the right direction!

      It would be good if your recommendations took into account that I'm
      using the YUI a lot :)

      Also I'm less fussed about what individual functions etc do as I can
      look that up quite easily on the web but more about 'architecture' and
      'patterns'.

      thanks,
      Julius

      PS: Do you think this might be worth the wait in my case?

      http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Design-Patterns-Dustin-Diaz/dp/159059908X/ref=tag_tdp_sa_edpp_i/103-4993575-2048662

      or this...

      http://www.amazon.com/DOM-Scripting-Design-JavaScript-Document/dp/1590595335/ref=cm_lmf_img_7_rdssss0/103-4993575-2048662
    • Marco Mariani
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
        juliusdietz ha scritto:

        > Anyway - because of all this I want to buy a book ;)
        > And in order for it to be just the right book for me I was hoping you
        > could point me in the right direction!

        JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
        by David Flanagan

        If there is something better out there, I'm not aware of it.
        Maybe there are complementary books, but it seems quite complete to me.
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
          Have you checked Douglas Crockford videos at YUI theater?:

          http://video.yahoo.com/search/video?p=douglas+crockford

          Watch "The JavaScript Programming Language" first, it comes in four parts,
          and then watch the others (Advanced JS, DOM theory mainly)

          > I use the YUI quite a bit but would say that my foundations in
          > Javascript, scripting and especially object oriented (or based?)
          > Javascript are rather basic and incomplete.
          >
          > I'm using the 'object literal' but basically mainly because the
          > projects I work on had been started in this way already so even with
          > that I have the feeling I don't know all the pros and cons and why
          > this seems to be the way to go...
          >
          > Anyway - because of all this I want to buy a book ;)
          > And in order for it to be just the right book for me I was hoping you
          > could point me in the right direction!
          >
          > It would be good if your recommendations took into account that I'm
          > using the YUI a lot :)
          >
          > Also I'm less fussed about what individual functions etc do as I can
          > look that up quite easily on the web but more about 'architecture' and
          > 'patterns'.
          >
          > thanks,
          > Julius
          >
          > PS: Do you think this might be worth the wait in my case?
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Design-Patterns-Dustin-Diaz/dp/159059908X/ref=tag_tdp_sa_edpp_i/103-4993575-2048662
          >
          > or this...
          >
          > http://www.amazon.com/DOM-Scripting-Design-JavaScript-Document/dp/1590595335/ref=cm_lmf_img_7_rdssss0/103-4993575-2048662
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --
          > 02/10/2007 11:10

        • Nick Fitzsimons
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
            On 2 Oct 2007, at 15:23, juliusdietz wrote:

            > Anyway - because of all this I want to buy a book ;)
            > And in order for it to be just the right book for me I was hoping you
            > could point me in the right direction!
            >
            > It would be good if your recommendations took into account that I'm
            > using the YUI a lot :)

            Peter Paul Koch's book is worth a look:
            <http://www.amazon.com/ppk-JavaScript-1-e-VOICES/dp/0321423305/
            ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8986202-5617558?
            ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191337025&sr=8-1>

            and David Flanagan's book pretty much goes without saying:
            <http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-Definitive-Guide-David-Flanagan/dp/
            0596101996/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8986202-5617558?
            ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191337100&sr=1-1>

            AFAIK there aren't yet any books that feature YUI in any great depth
            (partly because YUI is evolving at such a rapid pace that a book
            published now would already be quite out of date). As far as Dustin's
            forthcoming book is concerned, you can get a good idea of his style
            from his blog:
            <http://www.dustindiaz.com/>
            which includes a number of articles specifically concerning YUI - not
            surprising, as he used to work at Yahoo!

            HTH,

            Nick.
            --
            Nick Fitzsimons
            http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
              Thanks so far!
              Of course still looking forward to more recommendations :)

              Julius
            • Nathan Friedly
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                There is a free online book called Eloquent Javascript that I wish I had read back when I was trying to learn JS: http://eloquentjavascript.net/

                On 10/2/07, juliusdietz <juliusdietz@...> wrote:

                Thanks so far!
                Of course still looking forward to more recommendations :)

                Julius

                --
                Nathan Friedly
                SOGWAP
                http://nfriedly.com
              • reybango
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                  A more advanced one which I've found invaluable is "Pro JavaScript
                  Techniques"

                  http://www.amazon.com/Pro-JavaScript-Techniques-John-Resig/dp/1590597273/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a/102-1980320-5775316

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "juliusdietz" <juliusdietz@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks so far!
                  > Of course still looking forward to more recommendations :)
                  >
                  > Julius

                • Ankit Gupta
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
                    You can try JavaScript: The Definitive Guide By David Flanagan. I am
                    reading it these days. It is pretty comprehensive still grounds up for
                    new learners like me.

                    Regards
                    Ankit