RE: [ydn-javascript] Panel modal:true in IE giving me a "number expected" error!

  • Steven Peterson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2006

      Dave,

      Your markup is not formatted correctly. In order to render your Panel properly, you need to make sure that your existing markup is in Standard Module Format, which looks like this:

      Your markup, which appears to only have a body (with no header/footer), would look like this:

      border-right:1px solid #736d63; border-bottom:1px solid #736d63;
      border-left:1px solid #e7dfe7; visibility: hidden;">
      #9c9ea5; border-bottom:1px solid #9c9ea5; border-left:1px solid #ffffff;" class=”bd”>
      background:#ffffff; text-align:center;">
                 PROCESSING...<br/>
                 please wait

      Notice that I added a CSS class to the inner body of your container so that the Panel widget would know how your markup is structured. I would also recommend that you move those inline styles to CSS. You can use the CSS classes that are predefined for you in container.css and modify them to match your own custom styles.

      Steven Peterson

      Web Developer, Platform Engineering

      Yahoo!

      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2006
        First, I love the library and am using it to the exclusion of any other Javascript libraries. Thank you for taking the time to open source this, develop it, and provide thoughtful feedback.

        My question is that it appears there are difference in some of the libraries and I was curious as to why this is. Specifically, prototype inheritance is slightly different between containers and drag and drop. Overlay provides the following inheritance chain:

        YAHOO.widget.Overlay = function(el, userConfig) {}
        YAHOO.widget.Overlay.prototype = new YAHOO.widget.Module();
        YAHOO.widget.Overlay.prototype.constructor = YAHOO.widget.Overlay;

        This allows me to extend this and invoke the constructor directly like so:

        firelord.Panel = function() {
        firelord.Panel.superclass.constructor.call();
        }
        firelord.Panel.prototype = new YAHOO.widget.Overlay();
        firelord.Panel.prototype.constructor = firelord.Panel;
        firelord.Panel.superclass = YAHOO.widget.Overlay.prototype;

        DD extends DragDrop in this way:

        YAHOO.util.DD = function(id, sGroup) {};
        YAHOO.util.DD.prototype = new YAHOO.util.DragDrop();

        This forces me to duplicate the constructor like so:

        firelord.DragDrop = function(id, group) {
            if (id) {
                this.forceCssPosition = false;

                this.init(id, group);
                this.initFrame();

        firelord.DragDrop.prototype = new YAHOO.util.DDProxy();
        firelord.DragDrop.prototype.constructor = firelord.DragDrop;

        I'm new to JavaScript, so it's possible I'm misunderstanding or have made a mistake.

        The second difference I've noted is that you subscribe to events for Animation versus subclassing in DragDrop.

        Specifically, Animation I subscribe like so:

        myAnim.onComplete.subscribe(removeElement);

        Whereas DragDrop I extend:

        firelord.DragDrop.prototype.startDrag = function(x, y) {};

        Sincerely,
        Ron Lancaster
      • Adam Moore
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 2006
          On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:55:29PM -0500, Ron Lancaster wrote:
          > First, I love the library and am using it to the exclusion of any
          > other Javascript libraries. Thank you for taking the time to open
          > source this, develop it, and provide thoughtful feedback.
          >
          > My question is that it appears there are difference in some of the
          > libraries and I was curious as to why this is. Specifically,
          > prototype inheritance is slightly different between containers and
          > drag and drop.

          Hi Ron, the drag and drop utility was developed before most of the other
          components in the library, and it hasn't yet been updated to use all of
          the patterns the more recent utils and widgets are using.

          -Adam
        • Matt Warden
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
              Steve, thanks for the input but it seems as though modal:true is still
              causing a "Number expected" js error for me even after making the
              change to the panel divs as you suggested. The panel displays as
              expected in both browsers however the page is not graying out in IE
              and I'm recieving the javascript error.

              <peterson@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              >

              > Your markup is not formatted correctly. In order to render your Panel
              > properly, you need to make sure that your existing markup is in Standard
              > Module Format, which looks like this:

              > Your markup, which appears to only have a body (with no header/footer),
              > would look like this:

              > border-right:1px solid #736d63; border-bottom:1px solid #736d63;
              > border-left:1px solid #e7dfe7; visibility: hidden;">
              > #9c9ea5; border-bottom:1px solid #9c9ea5; border-left:1px solid
              #ffffff;"
              > class="bd">
              > background:#ffffff; text-align:center;">
              > PROCESSING...<br/>
              > please wait
              >

              > Notice that I added a CSS class to the inner body of your container
              so that
              > the Panel widget would know how your markup is structured. I would also
              > recommend that you move those inline styles to CSS. You can use the CSS
              > classes that are predefined for you in container.css and modify them to
              > match your own custom styles.
              >

              > Steven Peterson
              >
              > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
              >
              > Yahoo!

              +language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&w4=

              The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+program
              > ming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=lC1PxfzvANy_Br-nPkXYTA> programming
              language

              > Computer

              gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lang

              uage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of
              > +programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=7XFXh-0Mon1IfLuOVlwvdg>
              programming
              > languages
              >
              > Java

              ing+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&

              w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+prog
              > ramming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=UITodqn0qTCUcae_mpRQog> programming
              > language
              >

              > The

              ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language

              &w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+pro
              > gramming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=xnZC2-BzDSLhhir3MLtssg> c programming
              > language

              ng+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&w

              4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+progr
              > amming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=RTzTl3BOJWbWK14CdUrO0w> programming
              language

              > Concept

              ogramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lan

              guage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+o
              > f+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=x4ueM0tA417JDq3ckdJ9CQ> of
              > programming language
              >

              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > * Visit your group "ydn-javascript
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript> " on the web.

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              >

              > _____

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
                Strangely enough modal:true was not working in IE because of a style
                set on the body... margin: 0 auto 0 auto;

                I changed it to margin-top: 0; and margin-bottom: 0; and everything is
                working fine now! Phew that took quite some time to figure that one out.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006

                  Dave,

                  Can you please point me to a full code sample?

                  Thanks!

                  <peterson@...> wrote:

                  > Dave,
                  >

                  > Your markup is not formatted correctly. In order to render your Panel
                  > properly, you need to make sure that your existing markup is in Standard
                  > Module Format, which looks like this:

                  > Your markup, which appears to only have a body (with no header/footer),
                  > would look like this:

                  #e7dfe7;
                  > border-right:1px solid #736d63; border-bottom:1px solid #736d63;
                  > border-left:1px solid #e7dfe7; visibility: hidden;">
                  border-right:1px solid
                  > #9c9ea5; border-bottom:1px solid #9c9ea5; border-left:1px solid
                  #ffffff;"
                  > class="bd">
                  style="padding:35px 15px 35px 15px; line-height:1.4;
                  > background:#ffffff; text-align:center;">

                  PROCESSING...<br/>
                  >            please
                  wait

                  > Notice that I added a CSS class to the inner body of your container
                  so that
                  > the Panel widget would know how your markup is structured. I would also
                  > recommend that you move those inline styles to CSS. You can use the CSS
                  > classes that are predefined for you in container.css and modify them to
                  > match your own custom styles.
                  >

                  > Steven Peterson
                  >
                  > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
                  >
                  > Yahoo!

                  email to:
                  href="mailto:ydn-javascript-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mailto:ydn-javascript-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

                  .

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006

                    Glad to hear that you got it working. J Thanks for the feedback!