Panel modal:true in IE giving me a "number expected" error!

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2006
      Hello,

      I've got a popup panel working fine in FireFox but in IE I get a
      javascript error when setting modal:true which tells me that a number
      is expected... does this make any sense? It sure doesn't to me.

      var myPanel;

      function initProcessingPopup() {
      myPanel = new YAHOO.widget.Panel("processingPopup", {
      width:"400px",
      fixedcenter:true,
      close:false,
      visible:false,
      draggable:false,
      modal:true} );
      myPanel.render(document.body);
      }

      initProcessingPopup();

      border-right:1px solid #736d63; border-bottom:1px solid #736d63;
      border-left:1px solid #e7dfe7; visibility: hidden;">
      #9c9ea5; border-bottom:1px solid #9c9ea5; border-left:1px solid #ffffff;">
      background:#ffffff; text-align:center;">
      PROCESSING...<br/>
      please wait

      Obviously in use is the default css and js files included in the Yahoo
      package. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
    • Steven Peterson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2006

        Dave,

        Your markup is not formatted correctly. In order to render your Panel properly, you need to make sure that your existing markup is in Standard Module Format, which looks like this:

        Your markup, which appears to only have a body (with no header/footer), would look like this:

        border-right:1px solid #736d63; border-bottom:1px solid #736d63;
        border-left:1px solid #e7dfe7; visibility: hidden;">
        #9c9ea5; border-bottom:1px solid #9c9ea5; border-left:1px solid #ffffff;" class=”bd”>
        background:#ffffff; text-align:center;">
                   PROCESSING...<br/>
                   please wait

        Notice that I added a CSS class to the inner body of your container so that the Panel widget would know how your markup is structured. I would also recommend that you move those inline styles to CSS. You can use the CSS classes that are predefined for you in container.css and modify them to match your own custom styles.

        Steven Peterson

        Web Developer, Platform Engineering

        Yahoo!

[...]

        C programming language

        Computer programming languages

        Java programming language

        The c programming language

        C programming language

        Concept of programming language

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Ron Lancaster
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 2006
          First, I love the library and am using it to the exclusion of any other Javascript libraries. Thank you for taking the time to open source this, develop it, and provide thoughtful feedback.

          My question is that it appears there are difference in some of the libraries and I was curious as to why this is. Specifically, prototype inheritance is slightly different between containers and drag and drop. Overlay provides the following inheritance chain:

          YAHOO.widget.Overlay = function(el, userConfig) {}
          YAHOO.widget.Overlay.prototype = new YAHOO.widget.Module();
          YAHOO.widget.Overlay.prototype.constructor = YAHOO.widget.Overlay;

          This allows me to extend this and invoke the constructor directly like so:

          firelord.Panel = function() {
          firelord.Panel.superclass.constructor.call();
          }
          firelord.Panel.prototype = new YAHOO.widget.Overlay();
          firelord.Panel.prototype.constructor = firelord.Panel;
          firelord.Panel.superclass = YAHOO.widget.Overlay.prototype;

          DD extends DragDrop in this way:

          YAHOO.util.DD = function(id, sGroup) {};
          YAHOO.util.DD.prototype = new YAHOO.util.DragDrop();

          This forces me to duplicate the constructor like so:

          firelord.DragDrop = function(id, group) {
              if (id) {
                  this.forceCssPosition = false;

                  this.init(id, group);
                  this.initFrame();

          firelord.DragDrop.prototype = new YAHOO.util.DDProxy();
          firelord.DragDrop.prototype.constructor = firelord.DragDrop;

          I'm new to JavaScript, so it's possible I'm misunderstanding or have made a mistake.

          The second difference I've noted is that you subscribe to events for Animation versus subclassing in DragDrop.

          Specifically, Animation I subscribe like so:

          myAnim.onComplete.subscribe(removeElement);

          Whereas DragDrop I extend:

          firelord.DragDrop.prototype.startDrag = function(x, y) {};

          Sincerely,
          Ron Lancaster
        • Adam Moore
          Message 4 of 9 , May 31, 2006
            On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:55:29PM -0500, Ron Lancaster wrote:
            > First, I love the library and am using it to the exclusion of any
            > other Javascript libraries. Thank you for taking the time to open
            > source this, develop it, and provide thoughtful feedback.
            >
            > My question is that it appears there are difference in some of the
            > libraries and I was curious as to why this is. Specifically,
            > prototype inheritance is slightly different between containers and
            > drag and drop.

            Hi Ron, the drag and drop utility was developed before most of the other
            components in the library, and it hasn't yet been updated to use all of
            the patterns the more recent utils and widgets are using.

            -Adam
          • Matt Warden
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
                Steve, thanks for the input but it seems as though modal:true is still
                causing a "Number expected" js error for me even after making the
                change to the panel divs as you suggested. The panel displays as
                expected in both browsers however the page is not graying out in IE
                and I'm recieving the javascript error.

                <peterson@...> wrote:

                > Dave,
                >

                > Your markup is not formatted correctly. In order to render your Panel
                > properly, you need to make sure that your existing markup is in Standard
                > Module Format, which looks like this:

                > Your markup, which appears to only have a body (with no header/footer),
                > would look like this:

                > border-right:1px solid #736d63; border-bottom:1px solid #736d63;
                > border-left:1px solid #e7dfe7; visibility: hidden;">
                > #9c9ea5; border-bottom:1px solid #9c9ea5; border-left:1px solid
                #ffffff;"
                > class="bd">
                > background:#ffffff; text-align:center;">
                > PROCESSING...<br/>
                > please wait
                >

                > Notice that I added a CSS class to the inner body of your container
                so that
                > the Panel widget would know how your markup is structured. I would also
                > recommend that you move those inline styles to CSS. You can use the CSS
                > classes that are predefined for you in container.css and modify them to
                > match your own custom styles.
                >

                > Steven Peterson
                >
                > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
                >
                > Yahoo!

                +language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&w4=

                The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+program
                > ming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=lC1PxfzvANy_Br-nPkXYTA> programming
                language

                > Computer

                gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lang

                uage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of
                > +programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=7XFXh-0Mon1IfLuOVlwvdg>
                programming
                > languages
                >
                > Java

                ing+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&

                w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+prog
                > ramming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=UITodqn0qTCUcae_mpRQog> programming
                > language
                >

                > The

                ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language

                &w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+pro
                > gramming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=xnZC2-BzDSLhhir3MLtssg> c programming
                > language

                ng+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&w

                4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+progr
                > amming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=RTzTl3BOJWbWK14CdUrO0w> programming
                language

                > Concept

                ogramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lan

                guage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+o
                > f+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=x4ueM0tA417JDq3ckdJ9CQ> of
                > programming language
                >

                > _____
                >
                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >

                > * Visit your group "ydn-javascript
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript> " on the web.

                > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                >

                > _____

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006
                  Strangely enough modal:true was not working in IE because of a style
                  set on the body... margin: 0 auto 0 auto;

                  I changed it to margin-top: 0; and margin-bottom: 0; and everything is
                  working fine now! Phew that took quite some time to figure that one out.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006

                    Dave,

                    Can you please point me to a full code sample?

                    Thanks!

                    <peterson@...> wrote:

                    > Dave,
                    >

                    > Your markup is not formatted correctly. In order to render your Panel
                    > properly, you need to make sure that your existing markup is in Standard
                    > Module Format, which looks like this:

                    > Your markup, which appears to only have a body (with no header/footer),
                    > would look like this:

                    #e7dfe7;
                    > border-right:1px solid #736d63; border-bottom:1px solid #736d63;
                    > border-left:1px solid #e7dfe7; visibility: hidden;">
                    border-right:1px solid
                    > #9c9ea5; border-bottom:1px solid #9c9ea5; border-left:1px solid
                    #ffffff;"
                    > class="bd">
                    style="padding:35px 15px 35px 15px; line-height:1.4;
                    > background:#ffffff; text-align:center;">

                    PROCESSING...<br/>
                    >            please
                    wait

                    > Notice that I added a CSS class to the inner body of your container
                    so that
                    > the Panel widget would know how your markup is structured. I would also
                    > recommend that you move those inline styles to CSS. You can use the CSS
                    > classes that are predefined for you in container.css and modify them to
                    > match your own custom styles.
                    >

                    > Steven Peterson
                    >
                    > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
                    >
                    > Yahoo!

                    email to:
                    href="mailto:ydn-javascript-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mailto:ydn-javascript-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

                    .

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 1, 2006

                      Glad to hear that you got it working. J Thanks for the feedback!