Tabview CPU / YUI Profiling

  • Brandon Ball
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2007
      Tabview CPU:

      If I create 100 tabviews, they are functional immediately. However,
      my CPU stays pegged at 20-40% for the next 4 minutes or so. What is
      the tabview code doing if the tabs are already functional?

      http://walkerfirst.com/yui.php?loop=100
      (change loop to whatever number you like, max 300)

      YUI Profiling:

      I tried using Venkman to see what function was causing this issue, but
      everything is listed as anonymous.

      For example:

      4 http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/element/element-beta-min.js
      anonymous: 21-22, 200 call(s), 328.13ms total, 0ms min, 328.13ms
      max, 1.64ms avg, excluding calls: 0ms total, 0ms min, 0ms max, 0ms avg

      Is there a good javascript profiler to use for YUI?

      - Brandon
    • Matt Sweeney
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2007
        Hi Brandon,

        The Firebug profiler gives a bit more insight in this case.

        Can you provide some more detail regarding your hardware/OS combination?

        I ran some tests on WinXP Firefox, and see no CPU pegging, but on intel
        OSX, the processors pegs as you describe, but the tabs aren't actually
        functional immediately as you report.

        Firebug reports the bottleneck as 5000 calls to setAttributeConfig which
        both TabView and Tab inherit from Element. This takes about 50 seconds
        to before the tabs become functional and the CPU settles down, which is
        about what I'd expect from Firefox on the Mac under this kind of load.

        Matt

        Brandon Ball wrote:
        > Tabview CPU:
        >
        > If I create 100 tabviews, they are functional immediately. However,
        > my CPU stays pegged at 20-40% for the next 4 minutes or so. What is
        > the tabview code doing if the tabs are already functional?
        >
        > http://walkerfirst.com/yui.php?loop=100
        > (change loop to whatever number you like, max 300)
        >

        > YUI Profiling:
        >
        > I tried using Venkman to see what function was causing this issue, but
        > everything is listed as anonymous.
        >
        > For example:
        >
        > 4 http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/element/element-beta-min.js
        > anonymous: 21-22, 200 call(s), 328.13ms total, 0ms min, 328.13ms
        > max, 1.64ms avg, excluding calls: 0ms total, 0ms min, 0ms max, 0ms avg
        >
        > Is there a good javascript profiler to use for YUI?
        >

        > - Brandon
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • lozano.leonardo
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
          Hi Brandon,

          I have the same problem. I have a single webpage with a TabView that
          can contain 5 tabs. The user has the ability of close those tabs and
          re-create them depending of the flow of the program and the loading
          data. Every tab contains enough fields to fill up, thus the user has
          to expend a couple of minutes going thru the form. The problem is
          creating a new tab. The CPU stays on 50% - 70% for about 1 minute.
          I'm running it on IE7(WinXP) over an Intel Mobil machine with 2Gb on
          RAM.
          Do you have a solution for this problem different than call the user
          and ask him to buy a new computer with firefox?...

          thanks.

          lozano.leonardo

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Matt Sweeney <msweeney@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Brandon,
          >
          > The Firebug profiler gives a bit more insight in this case.
          >
          > Can you provide some more detail regarding your hardware/OS
          combination?

          > I ran some tests on WinXP Firefox, and see no CPU pegging, but on
          intel
          > OSX, the processors pegs as you describe, but the tabs aren't
          actually
          > functional immediately as you report.
          >
          > Firebug reports the bottleneck as 5000 calls to setAttributeConfig
          which
          > both TabView and Tab inherit from Element. This takes about 50
          seconds
          > to before the tabs become functional and the CPU settles down,
          which is
          > about what I'd expect from Firefox on the Mac under this kind of
          load.

          > Matt
          >
          > Brandon Ball wrote:
          > > Tabview CPU:
          > >
          > > If I create 100 tabviews, they are functional immediately.
          However,
          > > my CPU stays pegged at 20-40% for the next 4 minutes or so. What
          is
          > > the tabview code doing if the tabs are already functional?
          > >
          > > http://walkerfirst.com/yui.php?loop=100
          > > (change loop to whatever number you like, max 300)
          > >

          > > YUI Profiling:
          > >
          > > I tried using Venkman to see what function was causing this
          issue, but
          > > everything is listed as anonymous.
          > >
          > > For example:
          > >
          > > 4 http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/element/element-beta-
          min.js
          > > anonymous: 21-22, 200 call(s), 328.13ms total, 0ms min, 328.13ms
          > > max, 1.64ms avg, excluding calls: 0ms total, 0ms min, 0ms max,
          0ms avg

          > > Is there a good javascript profiler to use for YUI?
          > >

          > > - Brandon
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Brandon Ball
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
            Lozano,

            I was not able to find a solution to this. I have a quoting
            application where each line has a tabview. The largest quotes can
            have around 100 lines. Firefox starts freezing around 45 lines, with
            the unresponsive script error message:

            "Warning: Unresponsive Script
            A Script on this page may be busy or it may have stopped responding.
            You can stop the script now or you can continue to see if the script
            will complete.
            Stop Script [or] Continue"

            My only choice at this point is to use a different tabbing script.

            Also, it's frustrating that no one responded to my profiling question.
            Surely they use some sort of profiler at Yahoo! to test YUI?

            - Brandon

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "lozano.leonardo"
            <lozano.leonardo@...> wrote:

            > Hi Brandon,
            >
            > I have the same problem. I have a single webpage with a TabView that
            > can contain 5 tabs. The user has the ability of close those tabs and
            > re-create them depending of the flow of the program and the loading
            > data. Every tab contains enough fields to fill up, thus the user has
            > to expend a couple of minutes going thru the form. The problem is
            > creating a new tab. The CPU stays on 50% - 70% for about 1 minute.
            > I'm running it on IE7(WinXP) over an Intel Mobil machine with 2Gb on
            > RAM.
            > Do you have a solution for this problem different than call the user
            > and ask him to buy a new computer with firefox?...
            >
            > thanks.
            >
            > lozano.leonardo
            >

            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Matt Sweeney <msweeney@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Brandon,
            > >
            > > The Firebug profiler gives a bit more insight in this case.
            > >
            > > Can you provide some more detail regarding your hardware/OS
            > combination?
            > >
            > > I ran some tests on WinXP Firefox, and see no CPU pegging, but on
            > intel
            > > OSX, the processors pegs as you describe, but the tabs aren't
            > actually
            > > functional immediately as you report.
            > >
            > > Firebug reports the bottleneck as 5000 calls to setAttributeConfig
            > which
            > > both TabView and Tab inherit from Element. This takes about 50
            > seconds
            > > to before the tabs become functional and the CPU settles down,
            > which is
            > > about what I'd expect from Firefox on the Mac under this kind of
            > load.
            > >
            > > Matt
            > >
            > > Brandon Ball wrote:
            > > > Tabview CPU:
            > > >
            > > > If I create 100 tabviews, they are functional immediately.
            > However,
            > > > my CPU stays pegged at 20-40% for the next 4 minutes or so. What
            > is
            > > > the tabview code doing if the tabs are already functional?
            > > >
            > > > http://walkerfirst.com/yui.php?loop=100
            > > > (change loop to whatever number you like, max 300)
            > > >

            > > > YUI Profiling:
            > > >
            > > > I tried using Venkman to see what function was causing this
            > issue, but
            > > > everything is listed as anonymous.
            > > >
            > > > For example:
            > > >
            > > > 4 http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/element/element-beta-
            > min.js
            > > > anonymous: 21-22, 200 call(s), 328.13ms total, 0ms min, 328.13ms
            > > > max, 1.64ms avg, excluding calls: 0ms total, 0ms min, 0ms max,
            > 0ms avg
            > > >
            > > > Is there a good javascript profiler to use for YUI?
            > > >

            > > > - Brandon
            > > >

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • lozano.leonardo
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
              Ei Brandon...

              My app is working. I updated this morning with the new version of YUI
              2.3.1 and that CPU paging has gone. Now I have another issue with the
              content which is cutting off.

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Ball"
              <brandon.ball@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > >
              > > > Hi Brandon,
              > > >
              > > > The Firebug profiler gives a bit more insight in this case.
              > > >
              > > > Can you provide some more detail regarding your hardware/OS
              > > combination?
              > > >
              > > > I ran some tests on WinXP Firefox, and see no CPU pegging, but
              on
              > > intel
              > > > OSX, the processors pegs as you describe, but the tabs aren't
              > > actually
              > > > functional immediately as you report.
              > > >
              > > > Firebug reports the bottleneck as 5000 calls to
              setAttributeConfig
              > > which
              > > > both TabView and Tab inherit from Element. This takes about 50
              > > seconds
              > > > to before the tabs become functional and the CPU settles down,
              > > which is
              > > > about what I'd expect from Firefox on the Mac under this kind

            • Brandon Ball
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
                You're right! The CPU issue has been fixed. My sincere thanks to the
                developer responsible. Also, thanks a million for pointing this out
                Lozano.