onSelect() not working properly for Internet Explorer

  • sfmatt1982
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2006
      Hi fellow YUI devs, I'm having a problem with the onSelect() method
      with the Calendar object. In this example code:

      YAHOO.foo.cal1.onSelect = function() {
      window.location.href = "http://www.news.com"; };

      When I click a date in Firefox, the window correctly forwards to
      news.com, however in IE, about 80% of the time nothing will occur
      (with no javascript error), and if I click furiously, occasionally it
      will forward me on.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Matt
    • Steven Peterson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2006

        Matt,

        The onSelect handler is actually meant to be used anytime a selection is made, programmatically, or through a click, so handling it this way will probably not give you the behavior you want. You would probably be better off rendering your cells so that clicking the link takes you to the new URL. You will get a more reliable location change that way.  I’m not precisely sure why IE would have this behavior, but from past experience I suspect that it has to do with some weirdness around trying to change location when there is still other JS to execute (which occurs after onSelect). Try changing the way that the cell is rendered and see if you can get the behavior you want that way.

        Thanks!

        Steven Peterson

        Web Developer, Platform Engineering

        Yahoo!

        Hi fellow YUI devs, I'm having a problem with the onSelect() method
        with the Calendar object.  In this example code:

        YAHOO.foo.cal1.onSelect = function() {
                    window.location.href = "http://www.news.com"; };

        When I click a date in Firefox, the window correctly forwards to
        news.com, however in IE, about 80% of the time nothing will occur
        (with no javascript error), and if I click furiously, occasionally it
        will forward me on.

        Any ideas?

        Thanks,

        Matt

        C programming language

        Computer programming languages

        Java programming language

        The c programming language

        C programming language

        Concept of programming language

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • sfmatt1982
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2006
          Stephen,

          Excellent, thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to have an
          example of adding a renderer that contained a simple link, or a link
          including the selected date?

          Thanks,

          Matt
          <peterson@...> wrote:

          > Matt,
          >

          > The onSelect handler is actually meant to be used anytime a selection is
          > made, programmatically, or through a click, so handling it this way will
          > probably not give you the behavior you want. You would probably be
          better
          > off rendering your cells so that clicking the link takes you to the
          new URL.
          > You will get a more reliable location change that way. I'm not
          precisely
          > sure why IE would have this behavior, but from past experience I suspect
          > that it has to do with some weirdness around trying to change
          location when
          > there is still other JS to execute (which occurs after onSelect). Try
          > changing the way that the cell is rendered and see if you can get the
          > behavior you want that way.
          >

          > Thanks!
          >
          > Steven Peterson
          >
          > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
          >
          > Yahoo!

          +language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&w4=

          The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+program
          > ming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=lC1PxfzvANy_Br-nPkXYTA> programming
          language

          > Computer

          gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lang

          uage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of
          > +programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=7XFXh-0Mon1IfLuOVlwvdg>
          programming
          > languages
          >
          > Java

          ing+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&

          w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+prog
          > ramming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=UITodqn0qTCUcae_mpRQog> programming
          > language
          >

          > The

          ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language

          &w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+pro
          > gramming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=xnZC2-BzDSLhhir3MLtssg> c programming
          > language

          ng+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&w

          4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+progr
          > amming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=RTzTl3BOJWbWK14CdUrO0w> programming
          language

          > Concept

          ogramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lan

          guage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+o
          > f+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=x4ueM0tA417JDq3ckdJ9CQ> of
          > programming language
          >

          > _____
          >
          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > * Visit your group "ydn-javascript
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript> " on the web.

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          >

          > _____

        • Steven Peterson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2006

            Matt –

            I don’t have a specific example, but to get you started, I can suggest that you try modifying this function: YAHOO.widget.Calendar_Core.prototype.renderCellDefault.  This is where the link is actually created, and should give you a good starting point.

            {

            window.location.href = "http://www.news.com"; };

            > When I click a date in Firefox, the window correctly forwards to
            > news.com, however in IE, about 80% of the time nothing will occur
            > (with no javascript error), and if I click furiously, occasionally it
            > will forward me on.
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Matt

            +language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&w4=

            The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+program
            > ming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=lC1PxfzvANy_Br-nPkXYTA>
            programming
            language

            > Computer

            gramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lang

            uage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of

            +programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=7XFXh-0Mon1IfLuOVlwvdg>
            programming
            > languages
            >
            > Java

            ing+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&

            w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+prog
            > ramming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=UITodqn0qTCUcae_mpRQog>
            programming
            > language
            >

            > The

            ming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language

            &w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+pro

            gramming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=xnZC2-BzDSLhhir3MLtssg>  c programming
            > language

            ng+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+language&w

            4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+of+progr

            amming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=RTzTl3BOJWbWK14CdUrO0w>  programming
            language

            > Concept

            ogramming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Java+programming+lan

            guage&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Concept+o
            > f+programming+language&c=6&s=194&.sig=x4ueM0tA417JDq3ckdJ9CQ>
            of
            > programming language
            >

            >   _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > *      Visit your group "ydn-javascript
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript>
            " on the web.

            > *      To unsubscribe from this group, send an
            email to:
            href="mailto:ydn-javascript-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">mailto:ydn-javascript-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

            > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
            Yahoo! Terms of Service
            .

            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2006
              Stephen,

              Thank you for your expertise! Problem solved!

              For reference, and anyone else interested, after I instantiated my
              calendar object, I copied the code from calendar.js for the function
              referenced, and changed the code to inclde my own javascript function
              on the href:

              // Instantiate calendar
              YAHOO.foo.cal1 = new
              YAHOO.widget.Calendar("YAHOO.foo.cal1","cal1Container","<%=yahooMonth%>","");
              // Can't choose today
              YAHOO.foo.cal1.addRenderer("<%=todayDate%>",YAHOO.foo.cal1.renderBodyCellRestricted);

              // Add click handler
              YAHOO.widget.Calendar_Core.prototype.renderCellDefault =
              function(workingDate, cell) {
              cell.innerHTML = "";
              var link = document.createElement("a");

              // handleCalChoice is our JS function to handle a calendar object
              choice. Woot.
              link.href="javascript:handleCalChoice();";

              link.name=this.id+"__"+workingDate.getFullYear()+"_"+(workingDate.getMonth()+1)+"_"+workingDate.getDate();
              link.appendChild(document.createTextNode(this.buildDayLabel(workingDate)));
              cell.appendChild(link);

              <peterson@...> wrote:

              > Matt -
              >

              > I don't have a specific example, but to get you started, I can
              suggest that
              > you try modifying this function:
              > YAHOO.widget.Calendar_Core.prototype.renderCellDefault. This is
              where the
              > link is actually created, and should give you a good starting point.
              >

              > Steven Peterson
              >
              > Web Developer, Platform Engineering
              >
              > Yahoo!

              Service