text position in editor

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2007
      Is there any way to know the precise coordinates of a piece of text on the
      page when it occupies several lines?

      I made a Print Preview for text entered into the editor, where I can set
      margins, page orientation and a few other things. I cannot print that
      preview as-is since it will have whatever margins, headers, footers and so
      on the navigator has configured, not the ones I meant it to have.

      So, I used fpdf (www.fpdf.org) on the server to create a PDF file but, the
      layout does not match exactly the HTML preview.

      From the HTML side, I don't know how to tell when a line breaks within a
      paragraph so I do it on the server which is easy enough but, due to
      differences in precise font size, character spacing, a few times things
      don't come exactly the same. My choice on the server side on where to break
      a paragraph might not exactly match the criteria of the browser.

      So, I would like to know if there is any way that I can find out in the
      browser where a line was broken.

      Otherwise, I though I could make separate <span>s for each individual word
      and then join again all those that share the same top value. I already do
      that with mixed nodes, where there is text and something else, such as:

      "all these go into a <b>single</b> line"

      which I transform to

      since for fpdf a line of text has to go all in the same font, the boldface
      makes them three separate pieces of text. Enclosing it with a <span> allows
      me to get the location of each block of text individually. I wonder if I
      would have to do the same for each word. It can make the DOM tree quite
      heavy and I was looking for something easier on memory.

      Thanks