FYI On Weird Behavior In Dialog In IE

  • The Ferrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      Not so weird, but I couldn't find it on a quick glance through the archives
      and figured that I'd note it here.

      I had a pop-up Dialog box that was working fine in Firefox, but barfed when
      I took it for a spin in IE 7.0. The message I was getting was:

      Line 6662: Object does not support this property or method

      And the line in question that was making it choke was this:

      sMethod = (oForm.getAttribute("method") || "POST").toUpperCase();

      As it turns out, I wasn't thinking about the namespaces when I created the
      form, and the form in question had this line:

      <input type="hidden" name="method" value="requestRow" />

      Apparently, putting an input with a NAME of method in a hidden form will
      cause IE to choke, but not Firefox - I suspect because the getAttribute
      method works differently in IE and grabs the hidden input, nor the form
      method type. (I haven't got 'round to testing Opera or anything else yet,
      so I don't know whether it causes errors there.) Changing the input's name
      to "request_method" cleared up the problem in no time at all.

      Forgive me if this is a known issue, but I figured I'd at least put it out
      there again on the list in case anyone's searching for it.

      The Ferrett
      Writer, www.homeonthestrange.com, a webcomic about nerds and love
      Editor-in-Chief and Webmaster, StarCityGames.com
      "Redemption is a rare and special thing, after all. It is not for everyone."