About the width of navigation menubarItem

  • jimmy_chu0807
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2007
      Referring to this example:
      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_so\
      urce.html

      I was playing around with this example. Currently the <body> tag is
      belong to "yui-skin-sam" class. Now I:
      1. Add another <div> tag immediately within the <body> that surround
      the whole body,
      2. Set the div class attribute to yui-skin-sam and,
      3. Remove the class attribute in <body> tag

      I suppose there shouldn't be change in the layout. But I realized the
      width of the menubarItems have changed - some items has the texts
      overflow the width, and some underflow.

      So, how do I set the class "yui-skin-sam" properly for a certain
      portion of the page, but not the whole body?

      Thanks for any feedback
    • jimmy_chu0807

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jimmy_chu0807" <chuj@...> wrote:

          > Referring to this example:

          http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_so\
          > urce.html
          >
          > I was playing around with this example. Currently the <body> tag is
          > belong to "yui-skin-sam" class. Now I:
          > 1. Add another <div> tag immediately within the <body> that surround
          > the whole body,
          > 2. Set the div class attribute to yui-skin-sam and,
          > 3. Remove the class attribute in <body> tag
          >
          > I suppose there shouldn't be change in the layout. But I realized the
          > width of the menubarItems have changed - some items has the texts
          > overflow the width, and some underflow.
          >
          > So, how do I set the class "yui-skin-sam" properly for a certain
          > portion of the page, but not the whole body?
          >

          > Thanks for any feedback

          I've had exactly the same problem trying to modify this example.
          I simply wrapped the whole menu in a new div, removed the class name
          from the body tag and added it to my new wrapper div. After setting
          the width on my new wrapper div to 700px all of the drop down menu
          widths were all screwed up some way too wide some way to thin so that
          the text overlapped the menu. It would be nice to know if anyone has
          had and solved this issue.
        • Caridy Patiño Mayea
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2007
            Hi,

            The problem is that the overlay's control uses a RENDER process to
            create the DOM structure of the controls, and usually this structure
            is created over the document.body if you don't specify a DOM element
            in the render function:

            oMenu.render ( 'myCustomWrapper' );

            And then:

            // your page here...

            As you see in the example... the CSS rule:

            .yui-skin-sam .yui-menu {
            }

            will not be applied correctly. That's why you need to define the
            yui-skin-sam to the body instead to use a DIV.

            Best Regards,
            Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
            http://www.bubbling-library.com/

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Frank" <keith.frank@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jimmy_chu0807" <chuj@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Referring to this example:

            http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_so\
            > > urce.html
            > >
            > > I was playing around with this example. Currently the <body> tag is
            > > belong to "yui-skin-sam" class. Now I:
            > > 1. Add another <div> tag immediately within the <body> that surround
            > > the whole body,
            > > 2. Set the div class attribute to yui-skin-sam and,
            > > 3. Remove the class attribute in <body> tag
            > >
            > > I suppose there shouldn't be change in the layout. But I realized the
            > > width of the menubarItems have changed - some items has the texts
            > > overflow the width, and some underflow.
            > >
            > > So, how do I set the class "yui-skin-sam" properly for a certain
            > > portion of the page, but not the whole body?
            > >

            > > Thanks for any feedback
            > >
            > I've had exactly the same problem trying to modify this example.
            > I simply wrapped the whole menu in a new div, removed the class name
            > from the body tag and added it to my new wrapper div. After setting
            > the width on my new wrapper div to 700px all of the drop down menu
            > widths were all screwed up some way too wide some way to thin so that
            > the text overlapped the menu. It would be nice to know if anyone has
            > had and solved this issue.

          • Keith Frank
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 4, 2007
              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Caridy Patiño Mayea
              <caridy@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > The problem is that the overlay's control uses a RENDER process to
              > create the DOM structure of the controls, and usually this structure
              > is created over the document.body if you don't specify a DOM element
              > in the render function:
              >
              > oMenu.render ( 'myCustomWrapper' );
              >
              > And then:

              > // your page here...
              >
              > As you see in the example... the CSS rule:
              >
              > .yui-skin-sam .yui-menu {
              > }
              >
              > will not be applied correctly. That's why you need to define the
              > yui-skin-sam to the body instead to use a DIV.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
              > http://www.bubbling-library.com/
              >
              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Frank" <keith.frank@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jimmy_chu0807" <chuj@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Referring to this example:

              http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_so\
              > > > urce.html
              > > >
              > > > I was playing around with this example. Currently the <body> tag is
              > > > belong to "yui-skin-sam" class. Now I:
              > > > 1. Add another <div> tag immediately within the <body> that
              surround
              > > > the whole body,
              > > > 2. Set the div class attribute to yui-skin-sam and,
              > > > 3. Remove the class attribute in <body> tag
              > > >
              > > > I suppose there shouldn't be change in the layout. But I
              realized the
              > > > width of the menubarItems have changed - some items has the texts
              > > > overflow the width, and some underflow.
              > > >
              > > > So, how do I set the class "yui-skin-sam" properly for a certain
              > > > portion of the page, but not the whole body?
              > > >

              > > > Thanks for any feedback
              > > >
              > > I've had exactly the same problem trying to modify this example.
              > > I simply wrapped the whole menu in a new div, removed the class name
              > > from the body tag and added it to my new wrapper div. After setting
              > > the width on my new wrapper div to 700px all of the drop down menu
              > > widths were all screwed up some way too wide some way to thin so that
              > > the text overlapped the menu. It would be nice to know if anyone has
              > > had and solved this issue.

              Thanks for the reply...
              So let me see if I have this straight.
              If you create your menu from markup you "must" put
              'class="yui-skin-sam"' in the body tag(not in the wrapper div tag)?

              I tried with markup and a div wrapper and changed the render method to
              take the wrapper ID as an argument
              oMenuBar.render("wrapperDiv")
              but that did not work it.

              Seems odd that you cannot just add class="yui-skin-sam" to any block
              level element wrapping the menu if you are creating a menu from
              existing markup.

              If I've got this wrong I would appreciate an example of how to do this.

              Thanks Again for your time,
              Keith
            • Caridy Patiño Mayea
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 4, 2007
                Hi Keith,

                The render method uses the parameter to create the DOM structure for
                overlay's controls created from javascript (will be discarded when you
                use a markup). But some floating elements (submenus) use absolute
                position (which means that the element's structure will be removed
                from the DOM to be floating), when this happen, some CSS's rules don't
                work as we expect it.

                For floating elements, you need to apply the "yui-skin-sam" class to
                the "document.body".

                wrote:

                > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Caridy Patiño Mayea
                > <caridy@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > The problem is that the overlay's control uses a RENDER process to
                > > create the DOM structure of the controls, and usually this structure
                > > is created over the document.body if you don't specify a DOM element
                > > in the render function:
                > >
                > > oMenu.render ( 'myCustomWrapper' );
                > >
                > > And then:

                > > // your page here...
                > >
                > > As you see in the example... the CSS rule:
                > >
                > > .yui-skin-sam .yui-menu {
                > > }
                > >
                > > will not be applied correctly. That's why you need to define the
                > > yui-skin-sam to the body instead to use a DIV.
                > >
                > > Best Regards,
                > > Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
                > > http://www.bubbling-library.com/
                > >
                > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Frank" <keith.frank@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jimmy_chu0807" <chuj@>

                http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_so\

                > surround

                > realized the

                > > > I've had exactly the same problem trying to modify this example.
                > > > I simply wrapped the whole menu in a new div, removed the class name
                > > > from the body tag and added it to my new wrapper div. After setting
                > > > the width on my new wrapper div to 700px all of the drop down menu
                > > > widths were all screwed up some way too wide some way to thin so
                that
                > > > the text overlapped the menu. It would be nice to know if anyone has
                > > > had and solved this issue.
                > > >

                > Thanks for the reply...
                > So let me see if I have this straight.
                > If you create your menu from markup you "must" put
                > 'class="yui-skin-sam"' in the body tag(not in the wrapper div tag)?
                >
                > I tried with markup and a div wrapper and changed the render method to
                > take the wrapper ID as an argument
                > oMenuBar.render("wrapperDiv")
                > but that did not work it.
                >
                > Seems odd that you cannot just add class="yui-skin-sam" to any block
                > level element wrapping the menu if you are creating a menu from
                > existing markup.
                >
                > If I've got this wrong I would appreciate an example of how to do this.
                >
                > Thanks Again for your time,
                > Keith

              • Keith Frank
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 4, 2007
                  <caridy@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Keith,
                  >
                  > The render method uses the parameter to create the DOM structure for
                  > overlay's controls created from javascript (will be discarded when you
                  > use a markup). But some floating elements (submenus) use absolute
                  > position (which means that the element's structure will be removed
                  > from the DOM to be floating), when this happen, some CSS's rules don't
                  > work as we expect it.
                  >
                  > For floating elements, you need to apply the "yui-skin-sam" class to
                  > the "document.body".
                  >
                  > Best Regards,
                  > Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
                  > http://www.bubbling-library.com/
                  >
                  > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Frank" <keith.frank@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Caridy Patiño Mayea
                  > > <caridy@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > >
                  > > > The problem is that the overlay's control uses a RENDER process to
                  > > > create the DOM structure of the controls, and usually this structure
                  > > > is created over the document.body if you don't specify a DOM element
                  > > > in the render function:
                  > > >
                  > > > oMenu.render ( 'myCustomWrapper' );
                  > > >
                  > > > And then:

                  > > > // your page here...
                  > > >
                  > > > As you see in the example... the CSS rule:
                  > > >
                  > > > .yui-skin-sam .yui-menu {
                  > > > }
                  > > >
                  > > > will not be applied correctly. That's why you need to define the
                  > > > yui-skin-sam to the body instead to use a DIV.
                  > > >
                  > > > Best Regards,
                  > > > Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
                  > > > http://www.bubbling-library.com/
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Frank" <keith.frank@>

                  http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_so\

                  > tag is
                  > > surround

                  > > realized the

                  > that
                  > > > >

                  > > Thanks for the reply...
                  > > So let me see if I have this straight.
                  > > If you create your menu from markup you "must" put
                  > > 'class="yui-skin-sam"' in the body tag(not in the wrapper div tag)?
                  > >
                  > > I tried with markup and a div wrapper and changed the render method to
                  > > take the wrapper ID as an argument
                  > > oMenuBar.render("wrapperDiv")
                  > > but that did not work it.
                  > >
                  > > Seems odd that you cannot just add class="yui-skin-sam" to any block
                  > > level element wrapping the menu if you are creating a menu from
                  > > existing markup.
                  > >
                  > > If I've got this wrong I would appreciate an example of how to do
                  this.

                  > > Thanks Again for your time,
                  > > Keith

                  Caridy,
                  Thanks for clarifying.
                  Keith
                • Todd Kloots
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
                    This problem will be fixed in the upcoming 2.3.1 release of YUI.

                    - Todd

                    Caridy Patiño Mayea wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > The problem is that the overlay's control uses a RENDER process to
                    > create the DOM structure of the controls, and usually this structure
                    > is created over the document.body if you don't specify a DOM element
                    > in the render function:
                    >
                    > oMenu.render ( 'myCustomWrapper' );
                    >
                    > And then:

                    > // your page here...
                    >
                    > As you see in the example... the CSS rule:
                    >
                    > .yui-skin-sam .yui-menu {
                    > }
                    >
                    > will not be applied correctly. That's why you need to define the
                    > yui-skin-sam to the body instead to use a DIV.
                    >
                    > Best Regards,
                    > Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
                    > http://www.bubbling-library.com/ <http://www.bubbling-library.com/>
                    >
                    > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, "Keith Frank" <keith.frank@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, "jimmy_chu0807" <chuj@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Referring to this example:
                    > > >

                    > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_so\
                    > <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_so>>
                    > > urce.html
                    > > >
                    > > > I was playing around with this example. Currently the <body> tag is
                    > > > belong to "yui-skin-sam" class. Now I:
                    > > > 1. Add another <div> tag immediately within the <body> that surround
                    > > > the whole body,
                    > > > 2. Set the div class attribute to yui-skin-sam and,
                    > > > 3. Remove the class attribute in <body> tag
                    > > >
                    > > > I suppose there shouldn't be change in the layout. But I realized the
                    > > > width of the menubarItems have changed - some items has the texts
                    > > > overflow the width, and some underflow.
                    > > >
                    > > > So, how do I set the class "yui-skin-sam" properly for a certain
                    > > > portion of the page, but not the whole body?
                    > > >

                    > > > Thanks for any feedback
                    > > >
                    > > I've had exactly the same problem trying to modify this example.
                    > > I simply wrapped the whole menu in a new div, removed the class name
                    > > from the body tag and added it to my new wrapper div. After setting
                    > > the width on my new wrapper div to 700px all of the drop down menu
                    > > widths were all screwed up some way too wide some way to thin so that
                    > > the text overlapped the menu. It would be nice to know if anyone has
                    > > had and solved this issue.

                  • bcarroll2k3
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 7, 2007
                      Hi Todd,

                      Not trying to get you to commit to anything, but is the 2.3.1 release
                      going to be sooner than later? I ask because I've run into this same
                      problem. If not sooner, is there a workaround posted somewhere that
                      we can use? I checked the menu 'known issues' but didn't see
                      anything posted.

                      Thanks!

                      -B

                      > This problem will be fixed in the upcoming 2.3.1 release of YUI.
                      >
                      > - Todd
                      >
                      > Caridy Patiño Mayea wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > The problem is that the overlay's control uses a RENDER process to
                      > > create the DOM structure of the controls, and usually this
                      structure
                      > > is created over the document.body if you don't specify a DOM
                      element
                      > > in the render function:
                      > >
                      > > oMenu.render ( 'myCustomWrapper' );
                      > >
                      > > And then:

                      > > // your page here...
                      > >
                      > > As you see in the example... the CSS rule:
                      > >
                      > > .yui-skin-sam .yui-menu {
                      > > }
                      > >
                      > > will not be applied correctly. That's why you need to define the
                      > > yui-skin-sam to the body instead to use a DIV.
                      > >
                      > > Best Regards,
                      > > Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
                      > > http://www.bubbling-library.com/ <http://www.bubbling-
                      library.com/>

                      > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, "Keith Frank"
                      <keith.frank@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
                      > > <mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>, "jimmy_chu0807"

                      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim_
                      so\

                      <http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkupwithanim
                      _so>>
                      > > > urce.html

                      > > > I've had exactly the same problem trying to modify this example.
                      > > > I simply wrapped the whole menu in a new div, removed the class
                      name
                      > > > from the body tag and added it to my new wrapper div. After
                      setting
                      > > > the width on my new wrapper div to 700px all of the drop down
                      menu
                      > > > widths were all screwed up some way too wide some way to thin
                      so that
                      > > > the text overlapped the menu. It would be nice to know if
                      anyone has
                      > > > had and solved this issue.

                    • Eric Miraglia
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 10, 2007
                        bcarroll2k3,

                        You can expect the 2.3.1 release within the next couple of weeks.

                        Regards,
                        Eric

                        Eric Miraglia
                        Yahoo! User Interface Library