Tooltoip to the datatable...

  • Nagasamudram, Prasanna Kumar
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007

      Hi All

      My requirement is to create a data table and add a tooltip to each cell (with different text).

      Can somebody point me to an example on how to add a tooltip to the data table ?

      (FYI…. I’m able to create a data table , but how to add a tooltip to it is something which im looking for ).

      Thanks

      Prasanna

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
        You would need to define a formatter function for that column.  One of the arguments that the formatter function receives is a reference to the cell.  Set the title attribute for the cell to get the tooltip and set the innerHTML property of that same cell to the oData argument value.   You also receive the whole record as an argument so you can use any of the other fields in the record to assemble the tooltip.

        Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 9:07 AM
        Subject: [ydn-javascript] Tooltoip to the datatable...

        Hi All

        My requirement is to create a data table and add a tooltip to each cell (with different text).

        Can somebody point me to an example on how to add a tooltip to the data table ?

        (FYI…. I’m able to create a data table , but how to add a tooltip to it is something which im looking for ).

        Thanks

        Prasanna

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • Nagasamudram, Prasanna Kumar
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 28, 2007

          Hi Satyam

          My formatter function is

          function addTooltip(elCell, oRecord, oColumn, oData)

          {

                      elCell.title="ABCD";     ç some common text

                      elCell.innerHTML = oData;

          }

          But this will not solve my purpose, since the tool tip text will be different for different cells.

          Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 9:07 AM

          Hi All

          My requirement is to create a data table and add a tooltip to each cell (with different text).

          Can somebody point me to an example on how to add a tooltip to the data table ?

          (FYI…. I’m able to create a data table , but how to add a tooltip to it is something which im looking for ).

          Thanks

          Prasanna

          size=2 width="100%" align=center>

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 28, 2007
            If the tooltip text comes from the database as the rest of the record, you can read it from the oRecord argument.  Of course, you wouldn't want it displayed as a full column.  To prevent that, you only need to avoid mentioning that field in the column definitions but you still have to have it in the responseSchema.fields array for the DataSource.  In this way, the extra field will be read and will be available to you in the oRecord argument, but won't have a column for its own since it it is not mentioned in the column defs for DataTable.

            Then, your formatter function might read like this:

            function addTooltip(elCell, oRecord, oColumn, oData)

            {

                        elCell.title= oRecord.getData('tooltip');

                        elCell.innerHTML = oData;

            }

            where instead of tooltip you would put the field name you gave it in the DataSource.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2007

              Wow!

              That solves my problem ….

              Thanks a lot again!!!!!!!

              Prasanna

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2007
                My pleasure!

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 11, 2007
                  I'm basically implementing this same solution on my datatable.
                  Everything is working great as far as the correct data being
                  displayed. My only issue is that the styling is no longer being
                  applied. I also cannot seem to get the tooltip to stay up any longer
                  than 5 seconds. Even when I modify the properties for hide delay, it
                  does not seem to help. I know that the .css is recognized as I can
                  see that styling does work for a simple tooltip (just not the
                  datatable one).

                  Were you able to get styling to work on your tooltip? I have a
                  feeling these two issues are related. Any ideas are much appreciated!

                  Carly

                  Date: 26/08/2007 21:34

                  > size=2 width="100%" align=center>
                  > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  27/08/2007 18:20

                  27/08/2007 18:20

                • bcomeara
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2008
                    I could also use an example of how to style a tooltip generated in
                    this manner.

                    Thank you,
                    Brian