Re: Synchronous Calls

  • Thomas S. Sha
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2006
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Goldberg" <bigb@...> wrote:

      > I have noticed that the asynch flag is hardcoded in your Connection
      > Manager class.
      >
      > Could you provide some insight to that decision?
      >
      > Thanks,

      For production environments, synchronous transactions are unsuitable
      as it halts everything in the client and puts the client at the mercy
      of the network and server. Until the client receives a response, or a
      timeout, it cannot do anything -- an undesirable user experience overall.

      Regards,
      Thomas
    • Barry Goldberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2006
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Goldberg" <bigb@>
        wrote:

        > > I have noticed that the asynch flag is hardcoded in your
        Connection
        > > Manager class.
        > >
        > > Could you provide some insight to that decision?
        > >
        > > Thanks,

        > For production environments, synchronous transactions are
        unsuitable
        > as it halts everything in the client and puts the client at the
        mercy
        > of the network and server. Until the client receives a response,
        or a
        > timeout, it cannot do anything -- an undesirable user experience
        overall.

        > Regards,
        > Thomas

        Well, though I appreciate the text book answer, sometimes with rich
        applications, synchronous calls are required. I am interested to
        know any experiences related to this, as the base object does
        support it.