AutoComplete's OnItemSelect

  • nunciato
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2006
      Hi there:

      I'm a little confused; maybe I'm trying to do something that can't be
      done (although it seems logical enough, but ok).

      Let's say I have an XHR dataset coming back from a search for users by
      username, for example, and my result document contains a set of the
      following data (one "result" node for each item, for example):

      username
      last name
      first name
      email address

      ... and I want to do the following:

      1. Display the selected username in the AutoComplete box, and
      2. In the OnItemSelect function to which I've subscribed, fire off an
      additional function that retrieves information from the XML doc for
      display elsewhere on the page.

      The first item works fine, but I can't figure out how to accomplish
      the second. When the user chooses a username from the auto-complete
      box, I want to display not only the username (say, in a DIV just below
      the AutoComplete box) but also the first name, last name and e-mail
      address, just so the user knows she's selected the correct username.

      One would think, since I'm returning this data in my XML doc, that I'd
      have some sort of programmatic access to it within the AutoComplete
      framework. Am I just missing something?

      Thanks much in advance,
      Chris
    • nunciato
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2006
        Has no one had any experience with this? Please help -- any assistance
        would be greatly appreciated...

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "nunciato" <chris@...> wrote:

        > Hi there:
        >
        > I'm a little confused; maybe I'm trying to do something that can't be
        > done (although it seems logical enough, but ok).
        >
        > Let's say I have an XHR dataset coming back from a search for users by
        > username, for example, and my result document contains a set of the
        > following data (one "result" node for each item, for example):
        >
        > username
        > last name
        > first name
        > email address
        >
        > ... and I want to do the following:
        >
        > 1. Display the selected username in the AutoComplete box, and
        > 2. In the OnItemSelect function to which I've subscribed, fire off an
        > additional function that retrieves information from the XML doc for
        > display elsewhere on the page.
        >
        > The first item works fine, but I can't figure out how to accomplish
        > the second. When the user chooses a username from the auto-complete
        > box, I want to display not only the username (say, in a DIV just below
        > the AutoComplete box) but also the first name, last name and e-mail
        > address, just so the user knows she's selected the correct username.
        >
        > One would think, since I'm returning this data in my XML doc, that I'd
        > have some sort of programmatic access to it within the AutoComplete
        > framework. Am I just missing something?
        >
        > Thanks much in advance,
        > Chris

      • jennykhan
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2006
          Hi Chris,

          I think the information you are looking for has already been address
          in a previous post. Take a look at the following thread, and let me
          know if this is helpful:

          Jenny