Re: Another 2.2.2 to 2.3.0 upgrade problem

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
      This is the same problem that I had. I was able to fix it once I
      added the utilities.js file.

      <script type="text/javascript"
      src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/utilities/utilities.js"></script>

      It seems as though there are plenty of problems right now with the 2.3
      editor.

      http://dev1.matrix.msu.edu/jamie.rytlewski/collaborater/test/test.php
      - a copy where i do not get the menu, but the dialog.

      http://dev1.matrix.msu.edu/jamie.rytlewski/collaborater/test/test2.php
      - a copy where i get both.

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Ken Robinson <kenrbnsn@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've been working on my Event Calendar Update script and finally got
      > it looking the way I want when run with FF2 & YUI 2.2.2. When I
      > changed it to use YUI 2.3.0, clicking on a button to submit a dialog
      > form give me an error:
      >
      > Connect has no properties
      >
      > at line 189 of container-min.js
      >
      > Also, the expanded month view that works in v2.2.2 (shows all date
      > boxes the same wide width), doesn't work in v2.3.0 (the date boxes
      > are shrunken again, except where I've entered text).
      >
      > I've also discovered that neither the v2.2.2 or v2.3.0 versions
      > render correctly in IE7 (or IE6). Each version gets a similar JS
      > error (as seen in the YUI Logger):
      >
      > global:
      > Object doesn't support this property or method
      >
      > URLs:
      >
      > V2.2.2 <http://www.nnjsda.org/admin/cal_year.php>
      > V2.3.0 <http://www.nnjsda.org/admin/cal_year.2.3.0.php>
      >
      > Instructions:
      > Click on any day in the year view to bring up the month view. Click
      > on any day in the month to bring up the form. The forms don't
      > actually do anything yet, so don't worry about adding events.
      >
      > Another thing I noticed is that the buttons at the bottom of the form
      > render differently in v2.2.2 than they do in v2.3.0.
      >
      > Ken

    • Ken Robinson
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
        At 08:08 PM 8/1/2007, Jamie wrote:
        >This is the same problem that I had. I was able to fix it once I
        >added the utilities.js file.
        >
        ><script type="text/javascript"
        >src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/utilities/utilities.js"></script>

        I tried that solution after I saw your other post, but it didn't work for me.

        Ken
      • Satyen Desai
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
          Hey Ken, Jamie

          To fix the "Connect" error, you need to make sure that
          connection-min.js (or utilities.js**) is included before
          container-min.js, as specified on the Dialog landing page
          http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/container/dialog/index.html#start.

          Inclusion of JS files should always be in the order specified in the
          component documentation, since any component code executed inline
          expects variables/functions in prior files to be available based on
          this order.

          Ken, I tried this change on a local copy of your 2.3.0 page, and it
          resolves the issue.

          Regards,
          Satyen

          ** Information about utilities.js and how it should be used can be
          found here: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/hosting/#aggregates
        • Satyen Desai
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
            > I've also discovered that neither the v2.2.2 or v2.3.0 versions
            > render correctly in IE7 (or IE6). Each version gets a similar JS
            > error (as seen in the YUI Logger):
            >
            > global:
            > Object doesn't support this property or method

            Hey Ken,
            This is not a YUI or 2.2.2/2.3.0 issue.

            It's because you don't have "var" declarations for the variables
            you're using for Panel references which are also ids of HTML elements
            on the page (possible other HTML elements/variables on the page also)

            For example the variables - dialog1, event_panel

            You're doing this:

            dialog1 = new YAHOO.util.Dialog...
            event_panel = new YAHOO.util.Panel...

            If you don't declare dialog1, event_panel using var...

            var dialog1, event_panel;

            IE assumes they are read-only references to the HTML Elements (you can
            try dumping them to confirm) leading to the error when you try to
            assign something else to them [ I used to have a link to an article
            discussing this, but can't dig it up currently ]

            Declaring dialog1, event_panel using var will fix this.

            In general, you should always use "var" to declare your variables so
            you know precisely which scope they are defined in.

            Regards,
            Satyen
          • Satyen Desai
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007

              > Also, the expanded month view that works in v2.2.2 (shows all date
              > boxes the same wide width), doesn't work in v2.3.0 (the date boxes
              > are shrunken again, except where I've entered text).

              The issue here seems to be that the right floated buttons aren't
              contained by the Dialog Header (whereas in 2.2.2 they used to be - I
              believe an overflow:hidden was removed from the header DIV in 2.3.0).

              This means that the Dialog Body doesn't expand to the width of the
              Dialog [ it only expands to (the width of the dialog - width of the
              buttons) ] which is not wide enough for your fixed cell widths.

              I'll look into why overflow:hidden was removed from the Header for
              2.3.0, but you can fix the issue for now if you'd like, by clearing
              the float:right applied to the buttons. Simplest way would be by
              adding a <br style="clear:right"> in the Dialog Header.

              Hope that helps
              Satyen
            • Satyen Desai
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                Hey Ken,

                Was revisiting your markup, and you're using DIVs for your button
                containers, which brings up the need for the float:right's you have on
                them to get the layout you need.

                If you use the recommended markup for buttons [ which are all inline
                elements, as regular buttons should be ] you won't need the
                float:right and can use text-align:right to get the layout you want,
                with cleaner markup and no need to wrestle with floats.

                - Satyen
              • Todd Kloots
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Hi Jamie -

                  Regarding issue #2 - this was discovered by another developer (Caridy)
                  the cause and fix are detailed in the following SourceForge bug report:

                  https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1765545&group_id=165715&atid=836476

                  - Todd

                  Jamie wrote:

                  > I am having some issues since updating to version 2.3.0.
                  >
                  > First issue that I am having, and solved on my own, but posting in
                  > case others have the problem. When using a container with connection,
                  > you need to include utilities.js also. I'm not sure when/where the
                  > utilities.js started, but all my connections broke when I updated all
                  > to 2.3.0. Could someone please fill me in about this? I found out
                  > when I looked at the example for the dialog box with a connection.
                  >
                  > Second issue has to do with having a dialog box and menu on the same
                  > page. If I move the container.css to the 2.2.2 version, both the menu
                  > and container show up no problem. If I move the container.css to
                  > 2.3.0, the menu does not show up anymore.
                  >
                  > Also, I have tried with and without the sam skins.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Jamie

                • Jamie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2, 2007
                    It is in all where you place it. You need to make sure that you place
                    it before you call the container. It appeared to not have mattered in
                    2.2.2, but it matters now. Make sure the connection.js appears before
                    the container.js

                    Jamie

                    --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Ken Robinson <kenrbnsn@...> wrote:

                    > At 08:08 PM 8/1/2007, Jamie wrote:
                    > >This is the same problem that I had. I was able to fix it once I
                    > >added the utilities.js file.
                    > >
                    > ><script type="text/javascript"
                    >
                    >src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/utilities/utilities.js"></script>
                    >
                    > I tried that solution after I saw your other post, but it didn't
                    work for me.

                    > Ken

                  • Jamie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2007
                      Thanks for the update. I actually fixed it also by changing the way
                      that I call the menu. I used this now:

                      var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.Menu("basicmenu",
                      {visible:true,clicktohide:false});

                      instead of the way that it shows in the examples.

                      var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.Menu(
                      "productsandservices",
                      {
                      position: "static",