Another 2.2.2 to 2.3.0 upgrade problem

  • Ken Robinson
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007

      I've been working on my Event Calendar Update script and finally got
      it looking the way I want when run with FF2 & YUI 2.2.2. When I
      changed it to use YUI 2.3.0, clicking on a button to submit a dialog
      form give me an error:

      Connect has no properties

      at line 189 of container-min.js

      Also, the expanded month view that works in v2.2.2 (shows all date
      boxes the same wide width), doesn't work in v2.3.0 (the date boxes
      are shrunken again, except where I've entered text).

      I've also discovered that neither the v2.2.2 or v2.3.0 versions
      render correctly in IE7 (or IE6). Each version gets a similar JS
      error (as seen in the YUI Logger):

      global:
      Object doesn't support this property or method

      URLs:

      V2.2.2 <http://www.nnjsda.org/admin/cal_year.php>
      V2.3.0 <http://www.nnjsda.org/admin/cal_year.2.3.0.php>

      Instructions:
      Click on any day in the year view to bring up the month view. Click
      on any day in the month to bring up the form. The forms don't
      actually do anything yet, so don't worry about adding events.

      Another thing I noticed is that the buttons at the bottom of the form
      render differently in v2.2.2 than they do in v2.3.0.

      Ken
    • Jamie
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
        This is the same problem that I had. I was able to fix it once I
        added the utilities.js file.

        <script type="text/javascript"
        src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/utilities/utilities.js"></script>

        It seems as though there are plenty of problems right now with the 2.3
        editor.

        http://dev1.matrix.msu.edu/jamie.rytlewski/collaborater/test/test.php
        - a copy where i do not get the menu, but the dialog.

        http://dev1.matrix.msu.edu/jamie.rytlewski/collaborater/test/test2.php
        - a copy where i get both.

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Ken Robinson <kenrbnsn@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I've been working on my Event Calendar Update script and finally got
        > it looking the way I want when run with FF2 & YUI 2.2.2. When I
        > changed it to use YUI 2.3.0, clicking on a button to submit a dialog
        > form give me an error:
        >
        > Connect has no properties
        >
        > at line 189 of container-min.js
        >
        > Also, the expanded month view that works in v2.2.2 (shows all date
        > boxes the same wide width), doesn't work in v2.3.0 (the date boxes
        > are shrunken again, except where I've entered text).
        >
        > I've also discovered that neither the v2.2.2 or v2.3.0 versions
        > render correctly in IE7 (or IE6). Each version gets a similar JS
        > error (as seen in the YUI Logger):
        >
        > global:
        > Object doesn't support this property or method
        >
        > URLs:
        >
        > V2.2.2 <http://www.nnjsda.org/admin/cal_year.php>
        > V2.3.0 <http://www.nnjsda.org/admin/cal_year.2.3.0.php>
        >
        > Instructions:
        > Click on any day in the year view to bring up the month view. Click
        > on any day in the month to bring up the form. The forms don't
        > actually do anything yet, so don't worry about adding events.
        >
        > Another thing I noticed is that the buttons at the bottom of the form
        > render differently in v2.2.2 than they do in v2.3.0.
        >
        > Ken

      • Ken Robinson
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
          At 08:08 PM 8/1/2007, Jamie wrote:
          >This is the same problem that I had. I was able to fix it once I
          >added the utilities.js file.
          >
          ><script type="text/javascript"
          >src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/utilities/utilities.js"></script>

          I tried that solution after I saw your other post, but it didn't work for me.

          Ken
        • Satyen Desai
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
            Hey Ken, Jamie

            To fix the "Connect" error, you need to make sure that
            connection-min.js (or utilities.js**) is included before
            container-min.js, as specified on the Dialog landing page
            http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/container/dialog/index.html#start.

            Inclusion of JS files should always be in the order specified in the
            component documentation, since any component code executed inline
            expects variables/functions in prior files to be available based on
            this order.

            Ken, I tried this change on a local copy of your 2.3.0 page, and it
            resolves the issue.

            Regards,
            Satyen

            ** Information about utilities.js and how it should be used can be
            found here: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/hosting/#aggregates
          • Satyen Desai
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
              > I've also discovered that neither the v2.2.2 or v2.3.0 versions
              > render correctly in IE7 (or IE6). Each version gets a similar JS
              > error (as seen in the YUI Logger):
              >
              > global:
              > Object doesn't support this property or method

              Hey Ken,
              This is not a YUI or 2.2.2/2.3.0 issue.

              It's because you don't have "var" declarations for the variables
              you're using for Panel references which are also ids of HTML elements
              on the page (possible other HTML elements/variables on the page also)

              For example the variables - dialog1, event_panel

              You're doing this:

              dialog1 = new YAHOO.util.Dialog...
              event_panel = new YAHOO.util.Panel...

              If you don't declare dialog1, event_panel using var...

              var dialog1, event_panel;

              IE assumes they are read-only references to the HTML Elements (you can
              try dumping them to confirm) leading to the error when you try to
              assign something else to them [ I used to have a link to an article
              discussing this, but can't dig it up currently ]

              Declaring dialog1, event_panel using var will fix this.

              In general, you should always use "var" to declare your variables so
              you know precisely which scope they are defined in.

              Regards,
              Satyen
            • Satyen Desai
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007

                > Also, the expanded month view that works in v2.2.2 (shows all date
                > boxes the same wide width), doesn't work in v2.3.0 (the date boxes
                > are shrunken again, except where I've entered text).

                The issue here seems to be that the right floated buttons aren't
                contained by the Dialog Header (whereas in 2.2.2 they used to be - I
                believe an overflow:hidden was removed from the header DIV in 2.3.0).

                This means that the Dialog Body doesn't expand to the width of the
                Dialog [ it only expands to (the width of the dialog - width of the
                buttons) ] which is not wide enough for your fixed cell widths.

                I'll look into why overflow:hidden was removed from the Header for
                2.3.0, but you can fix the issue for now if you'd like, by clearing
                the float:right applied to the buttons. Simplest way would be by
                adding a <br style="clear:right"> in the Dialog Header.

                Hope that helps
                Satyen
              • Satyen Desai
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Hey Ken,

                  Was revisiting your markup, and you're using DIVs for your button
                  containers, which brings up the need for the float:right's you have on
                  them to get the layout you need.

                  If you use the recommended markup for buttons [ which are all inline
                  elements, as regular buttons should be ] you won't need the
                  float:right and can use text-align:right to get the layout you want,
                  with cleaner markup and no need to wrestle with floats.

                  - Satyen
                • Todd Kloots
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2007
                    Hi Jamie -

                    Regarding issue #2 - this was discovered by another developer (Caridy)
                    the cause and fix are detailed in the following SourceForge bug report:

                    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1765545&group_id=165715&atid=836476

                    - Todd

                    Jamie wrote:

                    > I am having some issues since updating to version 2.3.0.
                    >
                    > First issue that I am having, and solved on my own, but posting in
                    > case others have the problem. When using a container with connection,
                    > you need to include utilities.js also. I'm not sure when/where the
                    > utilities.js started, but all my connections broke when I updated all
                    > to 2.3.0. Could someone please fill me in about this? I found out
                    > when I looked at the example for the dialog box with a connection.
                    >
                    > Second issue has to do with having a dialog box and menu on the same
                    > page. If I move the container.css to the 2.2.2 version, both the menu
                    > and container show up no problem. If I move the container.css to
                    > 2.3.0, the menu does not show up anymore.
                    >
                    > Also, I have tried with and without the sam skins.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Jamie

                  • Jamie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2007
                      It is in all where you place it. You need to make sure that you place
                      it before you call the container. It appeared to not have mattered in
                      2.2.2, but it matters now. Make sure the connection.js appears before
                      the container.js

                      Jamie

                      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Ken Robinson <kenrbnsn@...> wrote:

                      > At 08:08 PM 8/1/2007, Jamie wrote:
                      > >This is the same problem that I had. I was able to fix it once I
                      > >added the utilities.js file.
                      > >
                      > ><script type="text/javascript"
                      >
                      >src="http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.3.0/build/utilities/utilities.js"></script>
                      >
                      > I tried that solution after I saw your other post, but it didn't
                      work for me.

                      > Ken

                    • Jamie
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2007
                        Thanks for the update. I actually fixed it also by changing the way
                        that I call the menu. I used this now:

                        var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.Menu("basicmenu",
                        {visible:true,clicktohide:false});

                        instead of the way that it shows in the examples.

                        var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.Menu(
                        "productsandservices",
                        {
                        position: "static",