Re: [ydn-javascript] 2.2.2 to 2.3.0 upgrade guide or release notes

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
      Arthur,

      In general, you shouldn't see backwards compatibility issues as you go from 2.2.2 to 2.3.0 -- and there isn't a global upgrade guide for that process.

      More specifically, where you do see differences, here's where they're likely to be:

      1.  Skinning: If you upgrade to YUI components in 2.3.0 that have skins, and if you switch to the skin's CSS file, you'll need to wrap your implementation's DOM structure in the CSS class yui-skin-sam.  You'll know you're using the "skin" CSS file if your path to it includes "assets/skins/sam".  Check out Nate Koechley's guide to skinning on the YUI website.

      2.  Menu Control:  Todd Kloots, Menu's developer, made some changes to the underlying DOM structure of the Menu Control to be compatible with certain emerging accessibility standards that we care about.  Those changes could affect implementations that carry over an existing CSS.  As a result of this change, Todd thought it important to provide a Menu-specific upgrade guide.  Todd and Lucas Pettinati also provided a rich visualization of Menu's new DOM structure on the second page of the Menu Cheat Sheet.

      3.  READMEs: Every component's current README file details high-level changes that came with each release.  You can find a link to the README from any component's User's Guide (e.g., here's the User's Guide for TabView) in the orange box at the top, in the Quick Links section -- click on the Release Notes link.

      Most upgrade-related issues you'll notice are related to the skinning, so check out Nate's intro to that and then check back here if you have further questions.

      Regards,
      Eric

      Eric Miraglia
      Yahoo! User Interface Library

      On Aug 1, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Arthur Blake wrote:

      Is there a guide for upgrading from 2.2.2 to 2.3.0 posted somewhere?
      Forgive me if there is but I couldn't find one by looking in all the obvious places.
      thanks

    • Arthur Blake
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
        thanks for the quick response.
        I had difficulty initially in 3 areas:

        1. The tree - I was able to fix it simply by switching to the new stylesheet name.
        2. The panel - for some reason, drag & drop doesn't seem to work anymore - I haven't looked at this yet.
        3. The menu and menubar.  I'm having considerable difficulty getting my menu to display at all.

        The menu demo here on your own site doesn't seem to work either (I tried both FF 2 or IE 6):
        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/applicationmenubar_source.html
        I did read the menu upgrade guide, and I've been fiddling with it.  The fact that the demo above isn't working doesn't give me a good feeling though.

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
          Arthur,

          Re: #2 -- Could be a CSS issue as well...feel free to send a  URL if you'd like someone to have a look.

          Re: #3 -- Caridy (one of the most prolific members of the group here) surfaced an issue in which Container's CSS file is causing problems for Menu (even, sorry to say it, in some of our own examples).  We've validated this as an issue and we'll provide information on how to work around it in the next day or so.  My apologies for the inconvenience there.

          On 8/1/07, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

[...]

        • Satyen Desai
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
            Hey Arthur,

            Regarding your 2nd issue - Panel Drag and Drop:

            If you mean the draggable behavior for the Panel, I just put up a
            simple
            example in response to another post, in which draggable panel support
            seems to port over without issues from 2.2.2 to 2.3.0.

            http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v230/examples/container/menuwithdialog.html
            http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v222/examples/container/menuwithdialog.html

            NOTE: The examples have a draggable panel in them also - even though
            they're named "menuwithdialog". Also I tried the 2.3.0 example with
            Sam Skin applied, and it worked fine also.

            If you still have the problem with Panel Drag/Drop, could you post a
            url/code snippet or some additional details and we can look into it
            further.

            Thanks,
            Satyen
          • Arthur Blake
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
              Thanks Satyen!
              I took your example and gradually morphed it into my program.
              I finally figured out what the problem was!  The order of the include files is important!

              I was including them in this order:
              <script src=" yui2.3.0/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-event.js"></script>
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/treeview/treeview-min.js"></script>
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/container/container- min.js"></script>
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/animation/animation-min.js"></script>
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/dragdrop/dragdrop-min.js" ></script>
              <script src=" yui2.3.0/build/menu/menu-min.js" ></script>

              and you were including them in this order:
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-event.js"></script>
              <script src=" yui2.3.0/build/treeview/treeview-min.js"></script>
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/dragdrop/dragdrop-min.js"></script>
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/animation/animation-min.js"></script>
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/container/container-min.js"></script>
              <script src="yui2.3.0/build/menu/menu-min.js"></script>

              In 2.2.2 the previous ordering was working.
              I guess the order matters now.  You might want to put a note on the API page for container about this.

              Now drag drop is working for my containers-- although there is another little glitch:
              when the container is fairly wide, if I drag it to the right, when it hits the right edge of the page, it shrinks it self (the width gets smaller)
              rather than clipping it off the right edge of the page...

              your demo does this as well (try dragging one of the panels all the way to the right edge... as it butts up against the edge, it shrinks in width...
              is this a CSS issue?

              It's much more noticeable on my page because I have panels that are quite wide.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
                Re:Re: #3
                Yup, that's it.  If I remove container.css, my menus finally appear!
                I'm looking forward to your workaround/fix.
                Thanks so much for your responsiveness on this!  I really appreciate it.

                ____________ ___________________________ _______
                Eric Miraglia
                Yahoo! User Interface Library

                On Aug 1, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Arthur Blake wrote:

                Is there a guide for upgrading from 2.2.2 to 2.3.0 posted somewhere?
                Forgive me if there is but I couldn't find one by looking in all the obvious places.
                thanks

              • Caridy Patiño Mayea
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Hi Arthur,

                  An easy solution is to modify the container.css:

                  .yui-overlay,
                  .yui-panel-container {
                  visibility:hidden; // <-- here is the problem
                  position:absolute;
                  z-index: 1;
                  }

                  Just delete the line "visible:hidden", and everything will work. Of
                  course this change will have repercussions, the markups with class
                  "yui-panel-container" will be visible by default, causing some
                  flashing during the render process for some overlays.

                  Regards,
                  Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
                  http://www.bubbling-library.com/

                  --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Blake"

                  skinning<http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/skinning/>on the YUI

                  Sheet<http://yuiblog.com/assets/pdf/cheatsheets/menu.pdf>

                  TabView<http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/tabview/>)

                  that<http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/skinning/>and then check
                  back here if you have further questions.

                  > > > Regards,
                  > > > Eric
                  > > >

                  > > > *______________________________________________*
                  > > > *Eric Miraglia*
                  > > > *Yahoo! User Interface Library*
                  > > > *
                  > > > *
                  > > >

                  > > > On Aug 1, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Arthur Blake wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Is there a guide for upgrading from 2.2.2 to 2.3.0 posted somewhere?
                  > > > Forgive me if there is but I couldn't find one by looking in all the
                  > > > obvious places.
                  > > > thanks

                • Satyen Desai
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2007
                    > if I drag it to the right, when it hits
                    > the right edge of the page, it shrinks it self (the width gets smaller)
                    > rather than clipping it off the right edge of the page...
                    >
                    > your demo does this as well (try dragging one of the panels all the w

                    Yes, I see this also. Thanks for bringing it up. I'll file it
                    internally and we'll start look into it.

                    Thanks,
                    Satyen
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                      Another solution:

                      var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.MenuBar('menubar');
                      oMenu.addItems(YAHOO.example.menu);
                      oMenu.render(YAHOO.util.Dom.get('basicmenu'));
                      oMenu.show();

                      // Add this line right after the call to .show():
                      YAHOO.util.Dom.removeClass('menubar','yui-overlay');

                      Notice the name 'menubar' is the same as given in the creation of the menu.

                      All the rest of the attributes for that style are overriden by later
                      attributes, the only one that remains is the visible:hidden. This won't
                      affect other containers.

                      By the time a patch is found, I believe this code won't hurt if left behind.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                        Moreover, the dropdown arrows for the items that have submenus are missing.
                        This can be patched by adding one more line:

                        YAHOO.util.Dom.removeClass('menubar','yui-overlay');
                        YAHOO.util.Dom.addClass('menubar','yuimenubarnav');

                        The first one takes care of the menus being invisible (as mentioned below),
                        the second adds a class that is used as a selector for the icons for the
                        menu.

                        > var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.MenuBar('menubar');
                        > oMenu.addItems(YAHOO.example.menu);
                        > oMenu.render(YAHOO.util.Dom.get('basicmenu'));
                        > oMenu.show();
                        >
                        > // Add this line right after the call to .show():
                        > YAHOO.util.Dom.removeClass('menubar','yui-overlay');
                        >
                        > Notice the name 'menubar' is the same as given in the creation of the
                        > menu.
                        >
                        > All the rest of the attributes for that style are overriden by later
                        > attributes, the only one that remains is the visible:hidden. This won't
                        > affect other containers.
                        >
                        > By the time a patch is found, I believe this code won't hurt if left
                        > behind.
                        >
                        > Satyam

                      • Arthur Blake
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                          I've found that if I just leave out container.css entirely, my Panels work even better...

                          I have a problem where if I drag my containers to the right edge of the screen, the width of the panel shrinks (Satyam is looking into the problem), but if I exclude container.css entirely, my panels seem to work more or less normally (how they did under 2.2.2)

                          This is a little paradoxical- I would think the panels wouldn't work at all without the container.css.. maybe it is because I've custom styled some of the .css for my panels.

                          On 8/2/07, Caridy Patiño <caridy@...> wrote:
                          Hi Arthur,

                          If you don't want to change the container.css, just apply this CSS rule after the container inclusion:

                          .yui-overlay, .yui-panel-container {
                              visibility:visible;
                          }

                          Best Regards,
                          Caridy

                          On 8/2/07, Arthur Blake < arthur.blake@...> wrote:
                          Thanks, Caridy!

                          <arthur.blake@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > in the orange box at the top, in the Quick Links section --
                          click on the
                          > > > Release Notes link.
                          > > >
                          > > > Most upgrade-related issues you'll notice are related to the
                          skinning,
                          > > > so c heck out Nate's intro to
                          that<http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/skinning/>and then check
                          back here if you have further questions.

                          > > > Regards,
                          > > > Eric
                          > > >

                          > > > *______________________________________________*
                          > > > *Eric Miraglia*
                          > > > *Yahoo! User Interface Library*
                          > > > *
                          > > > *
                          > > >

                          > > > On Aug 1, 2007, at 2:19 PM, Arthur Blake wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Is there a guide for upgrading from 2.2.2 to 2.3.0 posted somewhere?
                          > > > Forgive me if there is but I couldn't find one by looking in all the

                        • Jamie
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                            I used this to call the menu and it works now.

                            var oMenu = new YAHOO.widget.Menu("basicmenu",
                            {visible:true,clicktohide:false});

                            If I left the position:"static", that was when it would not show up
                            right away. If I have position:"dynamic" it displays, but you need
                            the clicktohide:false as once you click on the page, it would hide the
                            menu.

                            I am using 2.3.0 on everything and it appears to be working with the
                            line above.

                            ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com<ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>,

                            http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/applicationmenubar_source.

                            CSS.

                            Guide for

                          • Todd Kloots
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                              Satyam -

                              For clarification - the arrows are hidden intentionally and therefore
                              adding the class of "yuimenubarnav" isn't a "patch" for a bug. Sam Skin
                              has two different looks for the MenuBar depending on the use case. The
                              default hides the arrows for those looking for a MenuBar that looks more
                              or less like that of a desktop application. The addition of the
                              "yuimenubarnav" will render the MenuBar so that it looks like top
                              navigation for a website as illustrated in several of the MenuBar examples.

                              - Todd

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 2, 2007
                                Parhaps that should be said in the migration guide since the 2.2.2 version
                                did have the arrows by default so if the default has changed, that would be
                                a good place to state it.