Re: YUI website examples (????)

  • lindsay_haisley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2007
      After looking at the menu at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html in several browsers it seems that the only browser I use which doesn't render it properly is Galeon for Linux, which is Mozilla-Gekko based and normally quite standards-compliant.  Galeon rendered the 2.2.2 equivalent menu just fine, and because this one closely resembles the  proprietary JS menus my customer is currently using, that's the one we'll probably use.

      Galeon  also my standard study browser, and so I came on the problem while using it.  You can see what the menus look like in Galeon at http://www.fmp.com/~fmouse/badmenu.png.  I can also post the many JS errors I get from the page, if it would be helpful.

      > lindsay_haisley,
      >
      > We're listening!
      >
      > The examples did change today with the YUI 2.3.0 update. Menu
      > continues to ship with more than a dozen examples, so hopefully the
      > one you need is still there.
      >
      > The Menu example with the MenuBar implementation across the top can
      > be found here:
      >
      > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html
      > (Note that all of the "Top Nav" examples are accessible in the right
      > column below the one that's highlighted.)
      >
      > In the case of that example, you do need to click the "View example
      > in new window" button in the middle of the page; it takes you to...
      >
      > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html
      >
      > ...which is very similar to the example you remember from this morning.
      >
      > If you need access to the examples that shipped with YUI 2.2.2, you
      > can always download the full source from SourceForge. The download
      > includes all of the examples.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Eric

      > Eric Miraglia
      > Yahoo! User Interface Library
      >

      > On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:40 PM, lindsay_haisley wrote:
      >
      > > Hey, this is a heads up, if any of the Yahoo website maintainers are
      > > reading this! The YUI menu examples (both the index and the examples)
      > > at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/ have changed 3 times
      > > in the past 24 hours. I'm trying to get some work done for a customer
      > > of mine, and fortunately around noon today the the "Website Top Nav
      > > With Submenus" (both JS and HTML) changed _back_ to the simple version
      > > we needed and I managed to do a view source on both of these and
      > > captured the code.
      > >
      > > Now these menu examples are quite fubar, rather ugly and not at all
      > > what we need, on top of which a mouseover on the right two options
      > > ("Shopping", "Information") produce a flasning, transient submenu
      > > which is impossible to use. It's quite broken!
      > >
      > > Please, give us back the simple examples with the nav bar in a single
      > > line.

    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2007
        lindsay_haisley,

        Thanks for the followup and for posting the screenshot from Galeon.

        Galeon for Linux isn't an A-Grade browser, so we don't guarantee compatibility with Galeon for YUI.  That said, your expectation that up-to-date Gecko-based browsers should generally work fine with YUI is one that we share.  If you would file your image and the JS error log you wrote about in a bug report, that information might prove useful as we continue our work on the Menu Control.

        On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:00 PM, lindsay_haisley wrote:

        After looking at the menu at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html in several browsers it seems that the only browser I use which doesn't render it properly is Galeon for Linux, which is Mozilla-Gekko based and normally quite standards-compliant.  Galeon rendered the 2.2.2 equivalent menu just fine, and because this one closely resembles the  proprietary JS menus my customer is currently using, that's the one we'll probably use.

        Galeon  also my standard study browser, and so I came on the problem while using it.  You can see what the menus look like in Galeon athttp://www.fmp.com/~fmouse/badmenu.png.  I can also post the many JS errors I get from the page, if it would be helpful.

        > lindsay_haisley,
        >
        > We're listening!
        >
        > The examples did change today with the YUI 2.3.0 update. Menu
        > continues to ship with more than a dozen examples, so hopefully the
        > one you need is still there.
        >
        > The Menu example with the MenuBar implementation across the top can
        > be found here:
        >
        > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html
        > (Note that all of the "Top Nav" examples are accessible in the right
        > column below the one that's highlighted.)
        >
        > In the case of that example, you do need to click the "View example
        > in new window" button in the middle of the page; it takes you to...
        >
        > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html
        >
        > ...which is very similar to the example you remember from this morning.
        >
        > If you need access to the examples that shipped with YUI 2.2.2, you
        > can always download the full source from SourceForge. The download
        > includes all of the examples.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Eric

        > Eric Miraglia
        > Yahoo! User Interface Library
        >

        > On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:40 PM, lindsay_haisley wrote:
        >
        > > Hey, this is a heads up, if any of the Yahoo website maintainers are
        > > reading this! The YUI menu examples (both the index and the examples)
        > > at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/ have changed 3 times
        > > in the past 24 hours. I'm trying to get some work done for a customer
        > > of mine, and fortunately around noon today the the "Website Top Nav
        > > With Submenus" (both JS and HTML) changed _back_ to the simple version
        > > we needed and I managed to do a view source on both of these and
        > > captured the code.
        > >
        > > Now these menu examples are quite fubar, rather ugly and not at all
        > > what we need, on top of which a mouseover on the right two options
        > > ("Shopping", "Information") produce a flasning, transient submenu
        > > which is impossible to use. It's quite broken!
        > >
        > > Please, give us back the simple examples with the nav bar in a single
        > > line.

      • lindsay_haisley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31, 2007
          I'll be happy to file a bug report.

          As far as Galeon is concerned, I've been using it for several years
          because of its extreme configurability, and usually have few if any
          problems with JS interpretation and rendition - far fewer than with
          Safari, which I don't use, but a number of my customers do.

> [...]
          > > > continues to ship with more than a dozen examples, so hopefully the
          > > > one you need is still there.
          > > >
          > > > The Menu example with the MenuBar implementation across the top can
          > > > be found here:
          > > >
          > > > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html
          > > > (Note that all of the "Top Nav" examples are accessible in the right
          > > > column below the one that's highlighted.)
          > > >
          > > > In the case of that example, you do need to click the "View example
          > > > in new window" button in the middle of the page; it takes you to...
          > > >
          > > > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html
          > > >
          > > > ...which is very similar to the example you remember from this
          > > morning.
          > > >
          > > > If you need access to the examples that shipped with YUI 2.2.2, you
          > > > can always download the full source from SourceForge. The download

        • lindsay_haisley
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 31, 2007
            Well this menu example is certainly a work in progress! Before I
            could finish writing a proper bug report I reloaded the menu and it
            looks as if someone found and fixed the problem. So I stopped and
            started Galeon, and can no longer reproduce it at all :-)

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "lindsay_haisley" <fmouse@...>
            wrote:

            > I'll be happy to file a bug report.
            >
            > As far as Galeon is concerned, I've been using it for several years
            > because of its extreme configurability, and usually have few if any
            > problems with JS interpretation and rendition - far fewer than with
            > Safari, which I don't use, but a number of my customers do.
            >
            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@> wrote:
            > >
            > > lindsay_haisley,
            > >
            > > Thanks for the followup and for posting the screenshot from Galeon.
            > >
            > > Galeon for Linux isn't an A-Grade browser, so we don't guarantee
            > > compatibility with Galeon for YUI. That said, your expectation that
            > > up-to-date Gecko-based browsers should generally work fine with YUI
            > > is one that we share. If you would file your image and the JS error
            > > log you wrote about in a bug report, that information might prove
            > > useful as we continue our work on the Menu Control.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Eric

            > > Eric Miraglia
            > > Yahoo! User Interface Library
            > >

            > > On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:00 PM, lindsay_haisley wrote:
            > >
            > > > After looking at the menu at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/
            > > > examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html in several browsers it seems
            > > > that the only browser I use which doesn't render it properly is
            > > > Galeon for Linux, which is Mozilla-Gekko based and normally quite
            > > > standards-compliant. Galeon rendered the 2.2.2 equivalent menu
            > > > just fine, and because this one closely resembles the proprietary
            > > > JS menus my customer is currently using, that's the one we'll
            > > > probably use.
            > > >
            > > > Galeon also my standard study browser, and so I came on the
            > > > problem while using it. You can see what the menus look like in
            > > > Galeon athttp://www.fmp.com/~fmouse/badmenu.png. I can also post
            > > > the many JS errors I get from the page, if it would be helpful.
            > > >
            > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@>

            > > > morning.

            > > > maintainers are
            > > > examples)
            > > > times
            > > > customer
            Top
            > > > Nav
            > > > version

            > > > all

            > > > single

          • Eric Miraglia
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 31, 2007
              lindsay_haisley,

              Actually, I don't think there was a change in the source during this time.  What is possible, though, is that your cache timed out from some older files to newer files as we made the 2.2.2-->2.3.0 transition this afternoon.  Probably the 2.3.0 example wasn't working with some older files in your cache.

              Not sure, but that might be the explanation.  In any event, glad to have Galeon back to being right side up with Menu.

              wrote:

              > I'll be happy to file a bug report.
              >
              > As far as Galeon is concerned, I've been using it for several years
              > because of its extreme configurability, and usually have few if any
              > problems with JS interpretation and rendition - far fewer than with
              > Safari, which I don't use, but a number of my customers do.
              >
              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@> wrote:
              > >
              > > lindsay_haisley,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the followup and for posting the screenshot from Galeon.
              > >
              > > Galeon for Linux isn't an A-Grade browser, so we don't guarantee
              > > compatibility with Galeon for YUI. That said, your expectation that
              > > up-to-date Gecko-based browsers should generally work fine with YUI
              > > is one that we share. If you would file your image and the JS error
              > > log you wrote about in a bug report, that information might prove
              > > useful as we continue our work on the Menu Control.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Eric

              > > Eric Miraglia
              > > Yahoo! User Interface Library
              > >

              > > On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:00 PM, lindsay_haisley wrote:
              > >
              > > > After looking at the menu at http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/
              > > > examples/menu/topnavfrommarkup.html in several browsers it seems
              > > > that the only browser I use which doesn't render it properly is
              > > > Galeon for Linux, which is Mozilla-Gekko based and normally quite
              > > > standards-compliant. Galeon rendered the 2.2.2 equivalent menu
              > > > just fine, and because this one closely resembles the proprietary
              > > > JS menus my customer is currently using, that's the one we'll
              > > > probably use.
              > > >
              > > > Galeon also my standard study browser, and so I came on the
              > > > problem while using it. You can see what the menus look like in
              > > > Galeon athttp://www.fmp.com/~fmouse/badmenu.png. I can also post
              > > > the many JS errors I get from the page, if it would be helpful.
              > > >
              > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@>

              > > > morning.

              > > > maintainers are
              > > > examples)
              > > > times
              > > > customer
              Top
              > > > Nav
              > > > version

              > > > all

              > > > single

            • Lindsay Haisley
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 31, 2007
                > Actually, I don't think there was a change in the source during this
                > time. What is possible, though, is that your cache timed out from
                > some older files to newer files as we made the 2.2.2-->2.3.0
                > transition this afternoon. Probably the 2.3.0 example wasn't working
                > with some older files in your cache.

                That's entirely possible. I didn't think to clear cache. Other menus
                from the examples index worked just fine. It was just the top MenuBar
                examples that gave a problem earlier this evening.

                > Not sure, but that might be the explanation. In any event, glad to
                > have Galeon back to being right side up with Menu.

                You and me both, buddy!

                > On Jul 31, 2007, at 11:35 PM, lindsay_haisley wrote:
                >
                > > Well this menu example is certainly a work in progress! Before I
                > > could finish writing a proper bug report I reloaded the menu and it
                > > looks as if someone found and fixed the problem. So I stopped and
                > > started Galeon, and can no longer reproduce it at all :-)
                > >
                > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "lindsay_haisley" <fmouse@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I'll be happy to file a bug report.
                > > >
                > > > As far as Galeon is concerned, I've been using it for several years
                > > > because of its extreme configurability, and usually have few if any
                > > > problems with JS interpretation and rendition - far fewer than with
                > > > Safari, which I don't use, but a number of my customers do.
                > > >
                > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@>

                > > Galeon.

                > > that
                > > YUI
                > > error

                > > quite
                > > proprietary

                > > hopefully the

                > > top can

                > > topnavfrommarkup.html
                > > right

                > > example
                > > to...

                > > topnavfrommarkup.html

                > > 2.2.2, you
                > > download

                > > changed 3
                > > Top
                > > simple
                > > these and

                > > at
                > > options
                > > submenu

                > > in a

              • kp_yui
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
                  Actually, Lindsay & Eric, I posted asking what's up w.YUI examples
                  (menu specifically) as well, so I doubt it was cache, etc.

                  They eventually, came back up, but I thought it was maintenance due to
                  a bug. (I added a second post topic re: force minwidth CSS style in
                  IE6 causing a bug in the animation of drop down menus).

                  -kp