Autocomplete parsing?

  • tommiwarner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2007

      Hello Group,

      I have noticed that if I use a javascript array as my data-source, AUTOCOMPLETE automatically handles the parsing based on the subsequent characters entered (second, third, etc). However, If I use a flat-file as my XHR datasource, AUTOCOMPLETE does not react to the subsequently entered characters.

      Does this imply that when using an XHR datasource, all [sorting and/or] parsing must be done via a script that manipulates the flat-file? (If so, I was under the misperception that AUTOCOMPLETE would autmatically parse any valid datasource successfully received.)

      Your assistance will be greatly appreciated,

      Mark W

    • jennykhan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 9:55 AM
        Hi Mark W,

        I'm not sure I understand your question about parsing subsequent
        characters.

        This example uses a JavaScript array:
        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/autocomplete/ac_states_jsarray.html

        And this example uses a flat-file over XHR:
        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/autocomplete/ac_ysearch_flat.html

        In both cases, as you type the letters of the word "Alabama", each
        letter causes a set of query results to return. This query/return
        mechanism should work the same for both examples.

        If you are seeing something different in your implementation, perhaps
        you could doublecheck the schema you have set up for your DataSource?
        Otherwise, feel free to post some more details about the problem,
        including a repro case, so we can help troubleshoot.

        Hope that helps,
        Jenny

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "tommiwarner" <tommiwarner@...>