Dynamic Layout for Portal Framework

  • dmly_us
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hello,
      I am using the YUI Grid template to structure layouts for a portal
      framework.
      The goal is to create a portal in which users can define his/her own
      layout. An example for such portal could be iGoogle. But iGoogle or
      most available portal out there have very limited layout structures.
      For example iGoogle only allows you to create 2 or 3 columns portal
      layout. What if I want something like a one-column layout on top of 3
      -column layout?

      Inspired by an article from
      http://aymanh.com/drag-drop-portal-interface-with-scriptaculous
      I have the idea of combining what proposed in this article with the
      YUI grid framework to create a very flexible portal layout.

      Please see it for yourself at

      http://www2.cs.uh.edu/~dmly/portal/layoutBuilder.html

      After creating your own portal layout click on "get This Layout"
      button to go to the next screen with your layout built and a set of
      demo portlet for you to drag and drop to the layout to see how it work.

      I test this code with Firefox 2.0 and the latest version of IE (7.0)
      Please let me know if you have any suggestion. I would like to make it
      an extensible framework, probably in Ruby on Rails first as a proof of
      concept.