Does connection manager have a "cache buster" built in?

  • Keith Frank
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
      I am using the connection manager to fetch xml from the server. I was
      wondering whether or not it has a mechanism to make sure the response
      is not cached but retrieved each time, or do I have to add my own
      cache buster name value pair in the request params (like the timestamp
      as a param value each time)? Thank you in advance for any help.

      Keith
    • tssha
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2007
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Frank" <keith.frank@...>
        wrote:

        > I am using the connection manager to fetch xml from the server. I was
        > wondering whether or not it has a mechanism to make sure the response
        > is not cached but retrieved each time, or do I have to add my own
        > cache buster name value pair in the request params (like the timestamp
        > as a param value each time)? Thank you in advance for any help.

        Currently no. The predominant solution, thus far, is to add a
        randomised sequence to the querystring for HTTP GETs. Querystring
        cache-busting has been considered, but I've also received infrequent
        reports about it interfering with some GET transaction, usually
        application-specific cases.

        Regards,
        Thomas
      • Keith Frank
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "tssha" <tsha@...> wrote:

          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Frank" <keith.frank@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I am using the connection manager to fetch xml from the server. I was
          > > wondering whether or not it has a mechanism to make sure the response
          > > is not cached but retrieved each time, or do I have to add my own
          > > cache buster name value pair in the request params (like the timestamp
          > > as a param value each time)? Thank you in advance for any help.
          >
          > Currently no. The predominant solution, thus far, is to add a
          > randomised sequence to the querystring for HTTP GETs. Querystring
          > cache-busting has been considered, but I've also received infrequent
          > reports about it interfering with some GET transaction, usually
          > application-specific cases.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Thomas

          Thomas,

          Thanks for the reply!(I have to say I continue to post questions on
          this forum but rarely receive a response to my queries.)

          Any reason why a cache buster isn't offered in the connection manager
          as an option you know... maybe as a prop in the callback:

          var callback =
          {
          nocache: true,
          success: function(o) {/*success handler code*/},
          failure: function(o) {/*failure handler code*/},
          timeout: 5000,
          argument: [argument1, argument2, argument3]
          }

          That way if someone is having a conlict in their particular app they
          can choose not to use it, no harm no foul. I hope you consider this
          option. yes it is easy enough to implement on my own but even easier
          if it is built in ;)

          Thanks,
          Keith