Tooltip with Ajax on Multiple context items

  • Amit
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
      Hello,
      I'm displaying a large table on my page, which is essentially a bunch
      of <span> elements. When the user hovers over a cell, I wish to
      display certain information about the cell in a tooltip. Since the
      number of cells is large, I would prefer not to include the tooltip
      text in a "title" attribute. So I want to use ajax to dynamically get
      the tooltip text when needed.

      I'm able to create the Tooltip object by passing in an array of
      context items that represent cells. I would like to use the
      beforeShowEvent to change the text of the tooltip depending on which
      cell is being hovered over. The problem is, I can't figure out how to
      get the current context element. Any ideas?

      Thanks
      Amit
    • Caridy Patiño Mayea
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
        Hi Amit,

        See an example of using the Bubbling Technique for AJAX ToolTips. You
        can include the corresponding behavior for Tooltips and all the links
        in your page will have a nice dynamic tooltip attach it using the YUI
        connection manager:

        http://bubbling.comarq.com/themes/bubbling/jscripts/yui-cms/examples/tooltips/tooltips-using-ajax.html

        You can customize this code to your current scenario, and use it only
        for the span or TD element inside the table. Let me know if you need
        some help.

        Tooltip full information:
        http://bubbling.comarq.com/eng/api/docs/widgets/tooltips

        Regards
        Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
        http://bubbling.comarq.com/

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Amit" <amitig@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I'm displaying a large table on my page, which is essentially a bunch
        > of <span> elements. When the user hovers over a cell, I wish to
        > display certain information about the cell in a tooltip. Since the
        > number of cells is large, I would prefer not to include the tooltip
        > text in a "title" attribute. So I want to use ajax to dynamically get
        > the tooltip text when needed.
        >
        > I'm able to create the Tooltip object by passing in an array of
        > context items that represent cells. I would like to use the
        > beforeShowEvent to change the text of the tooltip depending on which
        > cell is being hovered over. The problem is, I can't figure out how to
        > get the current context element. Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Amit

      • Amit
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
          Hi Caridy,
          I forgot to mention in my original post that I did try your solution.
          It works very well after I replace the <A> with <SPAN>, great job on
          this extension! If I recall correctly, I couldn't figure out how to
          configure it to set the showDelay property. Also, if I could pass in a
          "root" element in the getElementsByTagName method, that would
          optimize the process a bit, because I have about 17k spans on the page
          and I'm only interested in 6k of them (it's a heavy page :)

          Thanks
          Amit

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Caridy Patiño Mayea
          <caridy@...> wrote:

          > Hi Amit,
          >
          > See an example of using the Bubbling Technique for AJAX ToolTips. You
          > can include the corresponding behavior for Tooltips and all the links
          > in your page will have a nice dynamic tooltip attach it using the YUI
          > connection manager:

          http://bubbling.comarq.com/themes/bubbling/jscripts/yui-cms/examples/tooltips/tooltips-using-ajax.html

          > You can customize this code to your current scenario, and use it only
          > for the span or TD element inside the table. Let me know if you need
          > some help.
          >
          > Tooltip full information:
          > http://bubbling.comarq.com/eng/api/docs/widgets/tooltips
          >
          > Regards
          > Caridy (caridy at gmail.com)
          > http://bubbling.comarq.com/
          >
          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Amit" <amitig@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > > I'm displaying a large table on my page, which is essentially a bunch
          > > of <span> elements. When the user hovers over a cell, I wish to
          > > display certain information about the cell in a tooltip. Since the
          > > number of cells is large, I would prefer not to include the tooltip
          > > text in a "title" attribute. So I want to use ajax to dynamically get
          > > the tooltip text when needed.
          > >
          > > I'm able to create the Tooltip object by passing in an array of
          > > context items that represent cells. I would like to use the
          > > beforeShowEvent to change the text of the tooltip depending on which
          > > cell is being hovered over. The problem is, I can't figure out how to
          > > get the current context element. Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Amit

        • Amit
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2007
            Correction: I just noticed that you're not actually using the
            getElementsByTagName method, so please ignore that part :)

            Amit