Synchronous Calls

  • Barry Goldberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2006
      I have noticed that the asynch flag is hardcoded in your Connection
      Manager class.

      Could you provide some insight to that decision?

    • Thomas S. Sha
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2006
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Goldberg" <bigb@...> wrote:

        > I have noticed that the asynch flag is hardcoded in your Connection
        > Manager class.
        >
        > Could you provide some insight to that decision?
        >
        > Thanks,

        For production environments, synchronous transactions are unsuitable
        as it halts everything in the client and puts the client at the mercy
        of the network and server. Until the client receives a response, or a
        timeout, it cannot do anything -- an undesirable user experience overall.

        Regards,
        Thomas
      • Barry Goldberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2006
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Goldberg" <bigb@>
          wrote:

          > > I have noticed that the asynch flag is hardcoded in your
          Connection
          > > Manager class.
          > >
          > > Could you provide some insight to that decision?
          > >
          > > Thanks,

          > For production environments, synchronous transactions are
          unsuitable
          > as it halts everything in the client and puts the client at the
          mercy
          > of the network and server. Until the client receives a response,
          or a
          > timeout, it cannot do anything -- an undesirable user experience
          overall.

          > Regards,
          > Thomas

          Well, though I appreciate the text book answer, sometimes with rich
          applications, synchronous calls are required. I am interested to
          know any experiences related to this, as the base object does
          support it.