  • Ted Husted
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "mgossmer" <mgossmer@...>
      > wrote:
      > I know this example, but I asked myself if there may be a much more
      > simple example then this, something without autocomplete, dpu ... -
      > for example filtering a table just based upon a value selected from
      > <select> box.

      Are you asking about filtering the records after they have been
      retrieved, or using the select box to obtain input that would filter
      the list returned from the database?

      If it's the former, the DataTable is backed by a RecordSet, and the
      system could scroll through the RecordSet and delete whatever record
      didn't meet the criteria. Or, it could create a new RecordSet and copy
      every record that met the criteria, and then replace the DataTable's
      RecordSet. The RowFilter example does the latter, and it also keeps
      the original RecordSet cached, so it can undo the filter. The overall
      architecture would still be very similar to the RowFilter example.

      -Ted.
    • mgossmer
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
        Hmm, no ideas?

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "mgossmer" <mgossmer@...> wrote:

        > Actually the scenario is even more easy: assume that the maximum set
        > of records is already and completely loaded (as a HTML table, on which
        > the datatable component renders). For example, imagine a table with
        > 100 products, their name and their price. Now, the user should be able
        > to use a simple select box to filter these products via a "less then
        > 50 dollar", "less then 100 dollar" selection etc.
        >
        > This might lead to something using the onchange event in the select
        > box, calling some funtions on the datatable component - but which
        > functions in what manner? All I found were high-end oversized examples
        > in conjunction with AutoComplete.
        >

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Howey" <matthewhowey@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > In MySQL I would maybe use a query like this:
        > >
        > > SELECT DISTINCT name FROM events WHERE MATCH (column1, column2)
        > > AGAINST ('".$GET['param']."*' IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 60;
        > >

        > > So basically, the SQL query is searching "column1" and "column2" for
        > > any word in either of those columns that matches our GET request that
        > > was sent to the script (AJAX using a YUI XHR DataSource...).
        > >
        > > I believe this query will work on MySQL 4.1.2 and higher as that is
        > > when the MATCH AGAINST showed up.
        > >
        > > Please, by all means, if anyone has a faster way with PHP/MySQL to do
        > > this pattern match, throw it out!
        > >
        > > Hope this helps someone,
        > >
        > > Matt Howey
        > >

        > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "mgossmer" <mgossmer@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > >
        > > > I know this example, but I asked myself if there may be a much more
        > > > simple example then this, something without autocomplete, dpu ... -
        > > > for example filtering a table just based upon a value selected from
        > > > <select> box.
        > > >

        > > > Regards
        > > > Markus

        > > http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v222/examples/datatable/filterRows.php

        > > filtering based
        > > site?

      • Ted Husted
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "mgossmer" <mgossmer@...> wrote:

          > Hmm, no ideas?

          One common scenario might be to filter a DataTable based on the
          distinct values in a given field. For example, if there is a large list of
          employees, there might be a select box with the unique last names. One
          could then select "Gossmer" to filter the list to all employees named
          Gossmer. Likewise, another column might indicate home office, in which
          case we could filter for all employees in the "Tuscon" office or the
          "Delhi" office.

          In either case, the underlying RecordSet would not be replaced, but a
          new "filtered" RecordSet created. If the filter is relaxed, then the
          original RecordSet could be restored.

          Likewise, the select box could be populated from the original
          RecordSet. One might be able to mark a column "filterable" in the same
          we mark a column "sortable". The system could automatically create a
          list of distinct entries by looping through the RecordSet.

          I expect that the architecture would be similar to the RowFilter
          example, except that instead of using the autocomplete to filter the
          rows, we'd apply a simplier test, like the one used to sort columns.

          I haven't yet seen an example like this, but I think it could
          represent a common use case. It would be certainly worthwhile to post
          a "distinct filter" example in the YUI Sandbox or on Planet Yazaar, if
          someone were to code it.

          HTH, Ted.
          http://planetyazaar.org/