Re: [ydn-javascript] Browser History Manager: allow multiple module state changes at once

  • Julien Lecomte
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hello Brian,

      I have some good news for you! This feature was already requested
      several weeks ago on this list, and will be implemented for the next
      version of YUI. Stay tuned!

      Regards,
      Julien Lecomte

      On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 17:15 +0000, lenzbd wrote:
      > I've just started integrating the Browser History Manager into our
      > application and one piece of functionality that I would like to see
      > added is the ability to change module state for multiple modules via a
      > single navigate command.
      >
      > In my case, I have 4 separate modules (essentially just parameters)
      > that correspond to the same section of the page. I sometimes need to
      > change more than one of the parameters at a time, but do not want a
      > separate history entry created for each. It would be great if I could
      > update the 4 separate modules in a single update, which will result in
      > the AJAX request only happening once for the entire operation as
      > opposed to once for each module change.
      >
      > Without this functionality, I'm forced to come up with my own
      > parameterization technique for encoding all 4 of my parameters into a
      > single module state representation.
      >
      > Am I just trying to misuse the intended usage of a module? Is there
      > some better alternative that I'm missing?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can provide :)
      >
      > Brian

    • lenzbd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        Thanks, Julien!

        I've been working on the problem a bit more, and figured out that what
        I actually want is the ability to have the state support complex JSON
        objects as opposed to just strings. This way, I can have a single
        module that has a state represented by a complex object with multiple
        parameter values. The Browser History Manager would internally
        determine how to serialize the object into the hash values.

        This behavior is slightly different than what I initially requested in
        that I really don't want to have multiple modules in my use case. I
        just want a single module with multiple parameters. This way, when
        using the back button, BHM won't trigger a state change for each of my
        separate modules. I really just want a single state change for my
        multi-parameter module.

        For now, I'm just going to handle encoding multiple parameters into a
        single state string.

        Brian

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Julien Lecomte <jlecomte@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Brian,
        >
        > I have some good news for you! This feature was already requested
        > several weeks ago on this list, and will be implemented for the next
        > version of YUI. Stay tuned!
        >
        > Regards,
        > Julien Lecomte
        >

        > On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 17:15 +0000, lenzbd wrote:
        > > I've just started integrating the Browser History Manager into our
        > > application and one piece of functionality that I would like to see
        > > added is the ability to change module state for multiple modules via a
        > > single navigate command.
        > >
        > > In my case, I have 4 separate modules (essentially just parameters)
        > > that correspond to the same section of the page. I sometimes need to
        > > change more than one of the parameters at a time, but do not want a
        > > separate history entry created for each. It would be great if I could
        > > update the 4 separate modules in a single update, which will result in
        > > the AJAX request only happening once for the entire operation as
        > > opposed to once for each module change.
        > >
        > > Without this functionality, I'm forced to come up with my own
        > > parameterization technique for encoding all 4 of my parameters into a
        > > single module state representation.
        > >
        > > Am I just trying to misuse the intended usage of a module? Is there
        > > some better alternative that I'm missing?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can provide :)
        > >
        > > Brian

      • Julien Lecomte
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
          It is an interesting feature request. Right now, the state parameter you
          pass to navigate() must be a string. In the future, it could be any
          object, and the BHM would serialize/deserialize it automatically.
          Interesting! Let me think about it...

          --
          Julien