treeview wrapper

  • kindom_2006
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2007
      Hi list,

      I have what should be a pretty simple request.

      I have tree view, what I want is a box that wraps around it fairly
      tightly but will expand it's width if subnodes "stretch" it.

      I can use the css:

      div#tree { border:1px solid #000; background:#de3;
      }

      However this expands to the full horizontal space, meaning a lot of
      empty space in the box, particularly when closed.

      So I changed it to:

      div#tree { border:1px solid #000; background:#de3; width:120px;
      min-width:120px;
      }

      which looks good with my unexpanded tree, but expansion doesn't make
      this div get wider :(

      I tried working with the root's child node, using:

      div#ygtvc0 { border:1px solid #000; background:#3de;
      }
      div#ygtvc0 { border:1px solid #000; background:#3de; width:120px;
      min-width:120px;
      }

      and got a similar lack of results.

      Any ideas?

      Jeff
    • kindom_2006
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2007
        Solved my own problem guys.

        For those that care:

        div#tree { position:absolute; width:auto;
        }

        This draws the box where I position it, but also minimizes the size of
        the box to just what's needed to contain the tree.

        Which makes my overall tree selection widget look an awful lot like a
        select box widget.

        happy clients!!

        :)

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "kindom_2006" <kindom_2006@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi list,
        >
        > I have what should be a pretty simple request.
        >
        > I have tree view, what I want is a box that wraps around it fairly
        > tightly but will expand it's width if subnodes "stretch" it.
        >
        > I can use the css:
        >
        > div#tree { border:1px solid #000; background:#de3;
        > }
        >
        > However this expands to the full horizontal space, meaning a lot of
        > empty space in the box, particularly when closed.
        >
        > So I changed it to:
        >
        > div#tree { border:1px solid #000; background:#de3; width:120px;
        > min-width:120px;
        > }
        >
        > which looks good with my unexpanded tree, but expansion doesn't make
        > this div get wider :(
        >
        > I tried working with the root's child node, using:
        >
        > div#ygtvc0 { border:1px solid #000; background:#3de;
        > }
        > div#ygtvc0 { border:1px solid #000; background:#3de; width:120px;
        > min-width:120px;
        > }
        >
        > and got a similar lack of results.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Jeff

      • kindom_2006
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2007
          Argh...

          the problem rears its head again for IE6. (why won't the world
          upgrade???)

          Anyway, as it seems no one else is vocally concerned, I'll post an
          update when I solve it for ie6.

          Jeff

          wrote:

          > Solved my own problem guys.
          >
          > For those that care:
          >
          > div#tree { position:absolute; width:auto;
          > }
          >
          > This draws the box where I position it, but also minimizes the size of
          > the box to just what's needed to contain the tree.
          >
          > Which makes my overall tree selection widget look an awful lot like a
          > select box widget.
          >
          > happy clients!!
          >
          > :)
          >

          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "kindom_2006" <kindom_2006@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi list,
          > >
          > > I have what should be a pretty simple request.
          > >
          > > I have tree view, what I want is a box that wraps around it fairly
          > > tightly but will expand it's width if subnodes "stretch" it.
          > >
          > > I can use the css:
          > >
          > > div#tree { border:1px solid #000; background:#de3;
          > > }
          > >
          > > However this expands to the full horizontal space, meaning a lot of
          > > empty space in the box, particularly when closed.
          > >
          > > So I changed it to:
          > >
          > > div#tree { border:1px solid #000; background:#de3; width:120px;
          > > min-width:120px;
          > > }
          > >
          > > which looks good with my unexpanded tree, but expansion doesn't make
          > > this div get wider :(
          > >
          > > I tried working with the root's child node, using:
          > >
          > > div#ygtvc0 { border:1px solid #000; background:#3de;
          > > }
          > > div#ygtvc0 { border:1px solid #000; background:#3de; width:120px;
          > > min-width:120px;
          > > }
          > >
          > > and got a similar lack of results.
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Jeff

        • kindom_2006
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2007
            I sort-of solved it.

            I picked a number with my designer and hard-coded the width to that using:

            _width:193px; for ie6 only.

            Jeff