Re: Do older versions of IE 6 oddly interpret grid widths?

  • emillerpdx
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2007
      > Are you sure those people are actually using IE 6? I have within the
      > past year come across cases of people using IE 5.01 in a corporate
      > environment where the IT team had chosen not to bother upgrading the
      > default install of Windows they rolled out to a certain category of
      > users.

      In one case I was able to collect some stats. One useragent string
      from an affected browser was:
      4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
      About IE gave the following version:
      6.0.2800.1106

      I'm starting to think that the issue is related to local preferences
      such as preferred font size and/or local stylesheets or scrollwheel
      zooming, and I'd prefer not to try overriding a user's local
      preferences. So I'm considering a hackity hack hack solution like a
      transparent spacer gif to force a minimum width on the <div>. not
      elegant, but I think it would work.

      Any other thoughts on what's going on here? I'm coming close to
      writing it off as a user-specific settings issue, but contrary
      opinions or thoughts are welcome.

      Thanks for everyone's time on this.

      Eric