Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: Merging combobox w/ YUI menu

  • Matt Warden
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2007
      On 5/7/07, Wyatt Tellis <w_tellis@...> wrote:
      > > No, I have not done this, but i have done something similar with
      > > autocomplete. The easiest approach in my experience is to simply
      > use
      > > the actual select control as a data source from which you read to
      > load
      > > your YUI widget (in this case, menu). Of course, you would also
      > hide
      > > the default presentation of the original select since you are
      > > providing another presentation.
      > >
      > > Or did you have questions about other areas?
      > >

      > Matt,
      >
      > I've tried using the select widget as a datasource, but it doesn't
      > give the effect I want. Each optgroup appears as one line instead of
      > in a drop down. If I have 20 optgroups I have a 20 line widget. I'm
      > looking for an implementation similar to Mac IE 5, where the
      > optgroups appear in a drop down with an arrow for opening a submenu
      > containing the options. See:
      >
      > http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/4/4-7.html

      I think you mistook what I suggested. When I suggested using a drop
      down as a datasource, I mean that you read the optgroups and options
      from a drop down. You use this collection to populate a
      YAHOO.widget.Menu.

      Having 20 optgroups does not prevent you from doing this. The question
      is simply: what do you want the end result to be, and based on what
      rules? You would code this transpormation in between reading the drop
      down datasource and creating the MenuItems on the YAHOO.widget.Menu.

      --
      Matt Warden
      Cleveland, OH, USA