Do older versions of IE 6 oddly interpret grid widths?

  • emillerpdx
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7 10:13 AM
      Hi all,

      Im' running into scattered reports of IE 6, typically on older
      machines, not rendering the fixed-width columns correctly.

      I've already tried a fix as suggested here, since the description of
      the problem sounds very similar:

      This didn't seem to address the issue, though. Meanwhile, most other
      IE 6 browsers are doing just fine with the grids with or without the
      suggested fix applied.

      So the question: is there some flavor of IE 6 that is more suceptible
      to grid rendering issues, possibly related to the font % issue?

      thanks --

      Eric
    • Nate Koechley
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7 3:14 PM
        Hi Eric,

        I haven't seen reports of this issue before, nor do I know of differences
        between builds of IE6 that would have an impact. Can you describe the
        problem in more detail (what breaks?) and provide detailed environment specs
        for where it does and does not behave as expected?

        > So the question: is there some flavor of IE 6 that is more suceptible
        > to grid rendering issues, possibly related to the font % issue?

        Not that I know of, either in personal experience or conceptually. Doesn't
        mean it's not there, though, so please help me understand and reproduce if
        you can.

        Thanks,
        Nate
      • emillerpdx
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8 3:32 PM
          > > Im' running into scattered reports of IE 6, typically on older
          > > machines, not rendering the fixed-width columns correctly.

          > I haven't seen reports of this issue before, nor do I know of
          > differences between builds of IE6 that would have an impact. Can
          > you describe the problem in more detail (what breaks?) and provide
          > detailed environment specs for where it does and does not behave
          > as expected?

          Hi Nate, thanks for the follow up. Here's a little bit more detail:

          -1- I'm using the yui-t4 grid
          -2- the default font % is 85%. Both columns are shrinking in width by
          approximately that same percentage. So it sounded a lot like that
          earlier issue where font % was affecting the column width when it was
          applied to a tag like the <body> tag.
          -3- but when I applied the fix suggested in that earlier thread
          (removing the % from the body tag & applying the % to nested elements)
          it didn't fix the issue, and hosed other elements on the pages.
          -4- The problem seems confined to IE 6. It's cropped up on W2K and XP
          machines.
          -5- Very few IE 6 browsers are doing this; all the ones I check didn't
          have problems
          -6- Sorry, I don't have specific version numbers for the affected
          browsers; the users haven't provided that info.

          So...are there other things that can hose column width settings? And
          that would override explicit settings for the nested elements?

          Eric
        • Nick Fitzsimons
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9 12:41 AM
            On 8 May 2007, at 23:32:30, emillerpdx wrote:

            >>> Im' running into scattered reports of IE 6, typically on older
            >>> machines, not rendering the fixed-width columns correctly.
            >
            >> I haven't seen reports of this issue before, nor do I know of
            >> differences between builds of IE6 that would have an impact. Can
            >> you describe the problem in more detail (what breaks?) and provide
            >> detailed environment specs for where it does and does not behave
            >> as expected?
            >
            > -4- The problem seems confined to IE 6. It's cropped up on W2K and XP
            > machines.
            > -5- Very few IE 6 browsers are doing this; all the ones I check didn't
            > have problems
            > -6- Sorry, I don't have specific version numbers for the affected
            > browsers; the users haven't provided that info.

            Are you sure those people are actually using IE 6? I have within the
            past year come across cases of people using IE 5.01 in a corporate
            environment where the IT team had chosen not to bother upgrading the
            default install of Windows they rolled out to a certain category of
            users. As users (AKA normal people) generally have little or no
            awareness of software versioning, it's entirely possible that these
            people are using Win2K not XP, and using IE 5.01 or 5.5 and not 6.

            (Actually, I've never yet met a normal person who was aware of the
            fact that there were different versions of IE.)

            I believe I'm correct in saying that the version of the Trident
            rendering engine used by IE 6 hasn't been changed, even in terms of
            minor version differences, since it was released - the only changes
            made to the browser have been security fixes, which did not affect
            the rendering engine's behaviour in terms of visual presentation.

            Regards,

            Nick.
            --
            Nick Fitzsimons
            http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/
            Message 5 of 5 , May 9 12:36 PM
              > Are you sure those people are actually using IE 6? I have within the
              > past year come across cases of people using IE 5.01 in a corporate
              > environment where the IT team had chosen not to bother upgrading the
              > default install of Windows they rolled out to a certain category of
              > users.

              In one case I was able to collect some stats. One useragent string
              from an affected browser was:
              4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
              About IE gave the following version:
              6.0.2800.1106

              I'm starting to think that the issue is related to local preferences
              such as preferred font size and/or local stylesheets or scrollwheel
              zooming, and I'd prefer not to try overriding a user's local
              preferences. So I'm considering a hackity hack hack solution like a
              transparent spacer gif to force a minimum width on the <div>. not
              elegant, but I think it would work.

              Any other thoughts on what's going on here? I'm coming close to
              writing it off as a user-specific settings issue, but contrary
              opinions or thoughts are welcome.

              Thanks for everyone's time on this.

              Eric