Drag Drop across IFrames

  • foggjacob
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2007
      Hey guys..I have been experimenting with the drag drop utilities and
      have learned some cool stuff... I am just curious if anyone has been
      able to successfully drag/drop across IFrames??? The goal of this
      piece of the puzzle is to drag an LI from a pseudo listbox from an
      iframe to a second pseudo listbox in a second iframe... the end result
      is not to move the item from one list to the next, but rather add the
      item from one to the next.

      Honestly, I am not sure this is possible... if it isn't, that's okay,
      I already have another way to accomplish this functionality, the
      drag-drop will just make it look that much cooler!

      Thanks so much for all your ideas!

      -Jake
    • Mike Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2007
        Hi Jake,

        Unfortunately, this isn't possible. Dragging & dropping actions can only
        occur within one window in the browser. Iframes are basically windows within
        windows. But I'm glad to hear you've got an alternative!

        foggjacob-2 wrote:

        > Hey guys..I have been experimenting with the drag drop utilities and
        > have learned some cool stuff... I am just curious if anyone has been
        > able to successfully drag/drop across IFrames??? The goal of this
        > piece of the puzzle is to drag an LI from a pseudo listbox from an
        > iframe to a second pseudo listbox in a second iframe... the end result
        > is not to move the item from one list to the next, but rather add the
        > item from one to the next.
        >
        > Honestly, I am not sure this is possible... if it isn't, that's okay,
        > I already have another way to accomplish this functionality, the
        > drag-drop will just make it look that much cooler!
        >
        > Thanks so much for all your ideas!
        >
        > -Jake

      • foggjacob
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2007
          Thanks Mark for the definatly unfortunate news...

          I have been thinking about this all night...

          I have an idea, and if feasible I think I know how to tackle it, but I
          want to bounce it off you guys to see if it is even worth pursuing...
          picture two iframes within a parent document... I could override the
          startDrag(I think) event to call a function in the parent document
          that would create what would essentially be a proxy element... the
          onDrag would of course function as usual... I could then override the
          endDrag(I think) event to a function that would check the coordinates,
          if the object is over the second iframe (which could even be a drop
          zone) then if those coordinates match with the positioning of the 1-3
          actual drop zones within the second iframe, it could execute the code
          for a valid drop, which would read the selected item from the
          originating container, otherwise drop is considered invalid and proxy
          is animated back to starting point...

          So, does anyone think this is/isn't doable? I trust your opinions and
          would rather not waist my time unless someone thinks it is...

          -Jake