Re: Problem for SetInterval for GET data from connetion manager

  • wejiangwe
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1 9:58 AM
      Thank you, Mike.
      The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
      I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it is
      not a good way.

      For serving a cache-busting header, I tried to add "Cache-Control"
      to "No-cache" on the header, but doesn't work.

      And there are other issues for datasource utility, eventually we
      abadon to use YUI library.

      Anyway, thank you so much for help.

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Lee \(YUI\)"
      <mikelee@...> wrote:

      > Hi wejiangwe,
      >
      > Could you provide a URL or send some code that shows this issue?
      If the
      > file is not being cached and both techniques (adding a randomized
      > sequence and serving a cache-busting header) did not work, perhaps
      the
      > source of the issue is elsewhere in your implementation.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >

      > ________________________________

    • tssha
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1 10:04 AM
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "wejiangwe" <wejiangwe@...> wrote:

        > Thank you, Mike.
        > The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
        > I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it is
        > not a good way.

        How so?

        > For serving a cache-busting header, I tried to add "Cache-Control"
        > to "No-cache" on the header, but doesn't work.

        There isn't just one solution.

        Issue a far-past Expires header and, or a Last-Modified header that
        insures every cached result is instantly outdated.

        Even the Cache-Control has more options that you're showing. For example:
        header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate");
        header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);

        Regards,
        Thomas
      • Gopalarathnam Venkatesan
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1 10:36 AM
          wejiangwe wrote:

          > Thank you, Mike.
          > The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
          > I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it is
          > not a good way.
          >
          > For serving a cache-busting header, I tried to add "Cache-Control"
          > to "No-cache" on the header, but doesn't work.
          >
          > And there are other issues for datasource utility, eventually we
          > abadon to use YUI library.

          Just curious to know what issues you are facing with YUI.

          --
          Gopalarathnam Venkatesan

          http://gopalarathnam.com/
        • wejiangwe
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1 11:10 AM
            I don't know that issue clearly, my co-worker said when we tried to
            implement custom sorting, we ran into problems that we're unable to
            access other column values in the same row. Therefore redundant
            string parsing had to be done which is a serious limitation.

            Any suggestion?

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Gopalarathnam Venkatesan
            <gopal@...> wrote:

            > wejiangwe wrote:
            > >

            > > Thank you, Mike.
            > > The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
            > > I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it
            is
            > > not a good way.
            > >
            > > For serving a cache-busting header, I tried to add "Cache-
            Control"
            > > to "No-cache" on the header, but doesn't work.
            > >
            > > And there are other issues for datasource utility, eventually we
            > > abadon to use YUI library.
            > >

            > Just curious to know what issues you are facing with YUI.
            >
            > --
            > Gopalarathnam Venkatesan
            >
            > http://gopalarathnam.com/

          • Mike Lee (YUI)
            Message 5 of 13 , May 2 2:46 PM
              > Thank you, Mike.
              > The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
              > I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it is
              > not a good way.

              By the way, using a randomized sequence in a URL is a common practice
              used by a lot of large web applications. The disadvantages of using
              unique URLs like this is that they cannot be bookmarked - but since
              you're trying to defeat the cache and this file is not accessible by end
              users, bookmarking is no concern.

              I don't want to cause you any trouble with your boss, but just so you
              know, using randomized sequences in URLs for your particular use case is
              a common practice and isn't considered harmful by many. Using
              server-side techniques may be cleaner, but randomized sequences aren't
              necessarily bad.

              In any case, good luck with your application!