Re: Kinda OFF-TOPIC -> Forum instead of Group

  • Ted Husted
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 9:37 AM
      Nabble is a good solution that you can start using today

      * http://www.nabble.com/ydn-javascript-f16949.html

      A project can also make customizations so that it appears like their
      own forum. Here's an example of an ASF project that uses a basic
      mailing list, but dresses it up with Nabble.

      * http://geronimo.apache.org/discussion-forums.html

      These are not links to a project-hosted forum, but to a page that
      customizes the look of the Nabble-hosted forums.

      HTH, Ted.
    • Daniel Nunes
      Message 2 of 10 , May 19 12:11 PM
        I would be veeery pleased to have a forum to see the messages. As I
        said b4, I think it could be much easier to find what you are
        searching if it was separated in modules like the YUI library:
        "DataTable","DragN'Drop" and so on....
        Despite the fact some say that the search engines in forums s*&%, I
        still think It would be much better.

        PS: I don't think forums search engines are THAT bad.

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Husted" <groups@...> wrote:

        > Nabble is a good solution that you can start using today
        >
        > * http://www.nabble.com/ydn-javascript-f16949.html
        >
        > A project can also make customizations so that it appears like their
        > own forum. Here's an example of an ASF project that uses a basic
        > mailing list, but dresses it up with Nabble.
        >
        > * http://geronimo.apache.org/discussion-forums.html
        >
        > These are not links to a project-hosted forum, but to a page that
        > customizes the look of the Nabble-hosted forums.
        >
        > HTH, Ted.

      • Fred Janon

          Message 4 of 10 , May 21 9:54 AM
            Fred,

            This is something we're thinking hard about on the YUI side, and we're really interested in the ongoing conversation on this thread.  We haven't found what we regard as a perfect solution to the problem (obviously), but we're listening carefully to the issues everyone is raising and adding your wishlist requests to our own.

            It's disruptive from a knowledge-archiving perspective and (more importantly) from a community perspective to migrate to a new platform, so we're trying to be careful in our evaluations so that any move only has to happen once.

            I agree with you that a community of this size has needs that transcend what the current Yahoo! Groups product offers.  More granular searchability and categorization are high on the list of needs.

            Thanks to everyone who's contributed ideas on this thread already, and for those who have other ideas on this that haven't been voiced yet please jump in.

            Regards,
            Eric

            Eric Miraglia
            Yahoo! User Interface Library