Prepending to existing context menu.

  • Stuart Grimshaw
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      If I have a context menu that I want to change dynamically, depending
      on the actions of users, is there any way just to splice in a new
      bunch of options to the menu?

      I have a menu that has a bunch of default options, they are generated
      with javascript when the page renders, then as the user browses round
      I want to be able to replace the top section of the menu.

      I almost want to do lazy loading of the menu, but without using a
      submenu, I want to lazy load a top level section.

      -S
    • alexshusta
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Stuart,

        Does the Menu.insertItem() method cover what you need?

        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.Menu.html#insertItem

        insertItem

        YAHOO.widget.MenuItem insertItem ( p_oItem , p_nItemIndex , p_nGroupIndex )

        Inserts an item into the menu at the specified index.
        Parameters:
        p_oItem <YAHOO.widget.MenuItem> Object reference for the MenuItem instance to be added to the menu.
        p_oItem <String> String specifying the text of the item to be added to the menu.
        p_oItem <Object> Object literal containing a set of menu item configuration properties.
        p_nItemIndex <Number> Number indicating the ordinal position at which the item should be added.
        p_nGroupIndex <Number> Optional. Number indicating the group to which the item belongs.
        Returns: YAHOO.widget.MenuItem

        ~Alexander

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Grimshaw" <stuart.grimshaw@...> wrote:

        > If I have a context menu that I want to change dynamically, depending
        > on the actions of users, is there any way just to splice in a new
        > bunch of options to the menu?
        >
        > I have a menu that has a bunch of default options, they are generated
        > with javascript when the page renders, then as the user browses round
        > I want to be able to replace the top section of the menu.
        >
        > I almost want to do lazy loading of the menu, but without using a
        > submenu, I want to lazy load a top level section.
        >
        > -S

      • Stuart Grimshaw
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2007
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "alexshusta"
          <alexander.shusta@...> wrote:

          > Hi Stuart,
          >
          > Does the Menu.insertItem() method cover what you need?

          Spot on, thanks a lot.
        • Stuart Grimshaw
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19, 2007
            <alexander.shusta@...> wrote:

            > Hi Stuart,
            >
            > Does the Menu.insertItem() method cover what you need?

            Blimey, it's been two months since I looked at this ...

            When I do Menu.insertItem I get the following error:

            oGroupItem.element has no properties
            http://beavis.vdevstuart.development.sheffield.sdl.corp/js/ceaf/yui/menu/menu.js
            Line 1461

            I'm calling it like this:

            oContextMenu.insertItem(new YAHOO.widget.MenuItem(commands[n]), 0);

            Where commands[n] is a string.