Re: Problem for SetInterval for GET data from connetion manager

  • wejiangwe
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2007
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "tssha" <tsha@...> wrote:

      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "wejiangwe" <wejiangwe@>
      wrote:

      > > Thank you, Gopalarathnam. I understand the "add a randomised
      > > sequence" now. But I don't think it is a good way to change the
      > > parameter every time.
      > >
      > > I tried to "Serve a cache-busting header", such as
      > > YAHOO.util.Connect.initHeader('CACHE-CONTROL', 'NO-CACHE');
      > > But it seems doesn't work, still cached. :(
      >
      > Issue the header from the server, not from the client/Connection
      Manager.

      > Regards,
      > Thomas

      Thanks, Thomas! I tested the server, it seems not the problem from
      server. I inputed the url to browser directly, refresh every second
      manually, it is not cached, shows the latest data.

      Could you please tell me any other ways to how to clear the cache by
      Yahoo library?
    • Mike Lee (YUI)
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 30, 2007
        Hi wejiangwe,

        Could you provide a URL or send some code that shows this issue? If the
        file is not being cached and both techniques (adding a randomized
        sequence and serving a cache-busting header) did not work, perhaps the
        source of the issue is elsewhere in your implementation.

        Thanks!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2007
          Thank you, Mike.
          The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
          I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it is
          not a good way.

          For serving a cache-busting header, I tried to add "Cache-Control"
          to "No-cache" on the header, but doesn't work.

          And there are other issues for datasource utility, eventually we
          abadon to use YUI library.

          Anyway, thank you so much for help.

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Lee \(YUI\)"
          <mikelee@...> wrote:

          > Hi wejiangwe,
          >
          > Could you provide a URL or send some code that shows this issue?
          If the
          > file is not being cached and both techniques (adding a randomized
          > sequence and serving a cache-busting header) did not work, perhaps
          the
          > source of the issue is elsewhere in your implementation.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >

          > ________________________________

        • tssha
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2007
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "wejiangwe" <wejiangwe@...> wrote:

            > Thank you, Mike.
            > The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
            > I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it is
            > not a good way.

            How so?

            > For serving a cache-busting header, I tried to add "Cache-Control"
            > to "No-cache" on the header, but doesn't work.

            There isn't just one solution.

            Issue a far-past Expires header and, or a Last-Modified header that
            insures every cached result is instantly outdated.

            Even the Cache-Control has more options that you're showing. For example:
            header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate");
            header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);

            Regards,
            Thomas
          • Gopalarathnam Venkatesan
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2007
              wejiangwe wrote:

              > Thank you, Mike.
              > The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
              > I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it is
              > not a good way.
              >
              > For serving a cache-busting header, I tried to add "Cache-Control"
              > to "No-cache" on the header, but doesn't work.
              >
              > And there are other issues for datasource utility, eventually we
              > abadon to use YUI library.

              Just curious to know what issues you are facing with YUI.

              --
              Gopalarathnam Venkatesan

              http://gopalarathnam.com/
            • wejiangwe
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2007
                I don't know that issue clearly, my co-worker said when we tried to
                implement custom sorting, we ran into problems that we're unable to
                access other column values in the same row. Therefore redundant
                string parsing had to be done which is a serious limitation.

                Any suggestion?

                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Gopalarathnam Venkatesan
                <gopal@...> wrote:

                > wejiangwe wrote:
                > >

                > > Thank you, Mike.
                > > The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
                > > I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it
                is
                > > not a good way.
                > >
                > > For serving a cache-busting header, I tried to add "Cache-
                Control"
                > > to "No-cache" on the header, but doesn't work.
                > >
                > > And there are other issues for datasource utility, eventually we
                > > abadon to use YUI library.
                > >

                > Just curious to know what issues you are facing with YUI.
                >
                > --
                > Gopalarathnam Venkatesan
                >
                > http://gopalarathnam.com/

              • Mike Lee (YUI)
                Message 7 of 13 , May 2, 2007
                  > Thank you, Mike.
                  > The URL is internal, it seems cannot show external.
                  > I added the randomized sequence, it works, but my boss thinks it is
                  > not a good way.

                  By the way, using a randomized sequence in a URL is a common practice
                  used by a lot of large web applications. The disadvantages of using
                  unique URLs like this is that they cannot be bookmarked - but since
                  you're trying to defeat the cache and this file is not accessible by end
                  users, bookmarking is no concern.

                  I don't want to cause you any trouble with your boss, but just so you
                  know, using randomized sequences in URLs for your particular use case is
                  a common practice and isn't considered harmful by many. Using
                  server-side techniques may be cleaner, but randomized sequences aren't
                  necessarily bad.

                  In any case, good luck with your application!