Re: svn/cvs access

  • dugscoular
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2006
      Hi All,

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Philip Tellis
      <philip.tellis@...> wrote:

      > Sometime on Feb 16, CE cobbled together some glyphs to say:
      >
      > > Is there any chance of getting access to a svn or cvs tree? I find
      > > myself spraying debug through yui files, just to figure some things
      > > out, but that leads to potential confusion over what I added.
      Like if
      > > I close my vi window and lose all my changes, I am kind of hosed.
      > > About all I can do is download the latest and unzip again.
      >
      > You could unzip to two directories, and just diff between the two.

      I think the point is that there should really be a public repository
      with tagging and branches. It's important to know what release
      people are talking about when they find a bug so that it can be
      incorporated, and possibly, backported.

      Looking at the beautifully crafted code and the fantastic JSDoc
      it seems that having a professional source code version control
      system would just complete the picture of a quality project.
      Not to mention a bugtracking system like trac or unit testing.

      I second the call for a source code version control system and
      release version tagging. See sourceforge.com for ideas on whats
      regarded as common facilities for s/w projects.

      P.S. great work!

      Cheers,

      Doug
    • Rob Sanheim
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2006
        On 2/16/06, dugscoular <dscoular@...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Philip Tellis
        > <philip.tellis@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sometime on Feb 16, CE cobbled together some glyphs to say:
        > >
        > > > Is there any chance of getting access to a svn or cvs tree? I find
        > > > myself spraying debug through yui files, just to figure some things
        > > > out, but that leads to potential confusion over what I added.
        > Like if
        > > > I close my vi window and lose all my changes, I am kind of hosed.
        > > > About all I can do is download the latest and unzip again.
        > >
        > > You could unzip to two directories, and just diff between the two.
        > >

        > I think the point is that there should really be a public repository
        > with tagging and branches. It's important to know what release
        > people are talking about when they find a bug so that it can be
        > incorporated, and possibly, backported.
        >
        > Looking at the beautifully crafted code and the fantastic JSDoc
        > it seems that having a professional source code version control
        > system would just complete the picture of a quality project.
        > Not to mention a bugtracking system like trac or unit testing.
        >
        > I second the call for a source code version control system and
        > release version tagging. See sourceforge.com for ideas on whats
        > regarded as common facilities for s/w projects.
        >
        > P.S. great work!
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Doug
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        +1 for source control, I was also wondering how new versions and bug
        fixes would be handled. Just providing new zip files would really
        make things a pain.

        - Rob
        --
        http://www.robsanheim.com/ - blog on development, TDD, Java, Ruby, and agility